Home

Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #33
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I do see where they were going with this. Defense call plays and substitute to match offensive personel, I think they are attempting to replicate this. How well it's implemented we'll have to see. But I actually see the logic here, if they are trying to replicate true NFL substitution/play calling tendencies.
A better choice would have been to set the situations up just like on offense ie 3rd and long, 3rd and short etc. This would be broken up into 2 categories, plays and formations. The "plays" would matchup with the down and distance, like on offense and the "formations" would match up with the offense formations like how defense is now. For example, you have 15 plays for 3rd and long. 5 of them are dime plays, 5 of them are dollar plays, and 5 of them are nickle plays. You have formations setup for "3 WR" look from offense and they are nickel, dime, quarter, dollar. Gameflow would pick a formation first and then a play in that formation based on the down and distance. In this case, gameflow may pick dime formation (you set that formation for 3 WR) then pick one of the 5 plays you have for dime formation in 3rd and long. Another thing they could do is have more offensive sets to match up with ie 3WR 1TE and 1RB, 3WR 2RB, or 3WR 2 TE. They are all 3WR formations but they may call for a different type of formation from each. For example, I may be more inclined to call a base 4-3 formation against a 3WR 2RB formation than I would be against a 3WR 2 TE formation. Anything would help really. Right now defense is waaay too shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I don't see how we can make final conclusions till we actually get our hands on it. Maybe it's just me, but I like to pass judgement on things like these after I have personal experience with them.

Will it be lame, or will it be a nice feature? Time will tell. I do like the direction they are taking this in theory, but will have to wait to see how well it's executed.
While I haven't had personal experience with this "feature", I have had experiences with EA..........a bunch of them lol. If you rob me every time I see you, whenever I see you, I'm gonna brace my self for the robbery lol. You may be wearing different clothes every time you rob me, but that doesn't change the fact that you rob me every time I see you. I'm not saying that EA is robbing people, I'm just saying that I'm bracing myself because of what's happened in the past.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #34
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
A better choice would have been to set the situations up just like on offense ie 3rd and long, 3rd and short etc. This would be broken up into 2 categories, plays and formations. The "plays" would matchup with the down and distance, like on offense and the "formations" would match up with the offense formations like how defense is now. For example, you have 15 plays for 3rd and long. 5 of them are dime plays, 5 of them are dollar plays, and 5 of them are nickle plays. You have formations setup for "3 WR" look from offense and they are nickel, dime, quarter, dollar. Gameflow would pick a formation first and then a play in that formation based on the down and distance. In this case, gameflow may pick dime formation (you set that formation for 3 WR) then pick one of the 5 plays you have for dime formation in 3rd and long. Another thing they could do is have more offensive sets to match up with ie 3WR 1TE and 1RB, 3WR 2RB, or 3WR 2 TE. They are all 3WR formations but they may call for a different type of formation from each. For example, I may be more inclined to call a base 4-3 formation against a 3WR 2RB formation than I would be against a 3WR 2 TE formation. Anything would help really. Right now defense is waaay too shallow.
How many times do you see teams stay in a base defense when 3 WR's are on the field?

Whether it's 20 personnel or 11 personnel or whatever you rarely if ever see a team stay base on defense. Like I said I see the logic, I just want to see how it's actually implemented.

Quote:
While I haven't had personal experience with this "feature", I have had experiences with EA..........a bunch of them lol. If you rob me every time I see you, whenever I see you, I'm gonna brace my self for the robbery lol. You may be wearing different clothes every time you rob me, but that doesn't change the fact that you rob me every time I see you. I'm not saying that EA is robbing people, I'm just saying that I'm bracing myself because of what's happened in the past.
I don't get the analogy, but I guess I just don't see the point in getting worked up and declaring something broken or a failure when you've never actually seen it. Maybe that's just me.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:

That is SUCH a good analogy, I had to laugh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #36
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5

Now that the chat seems to have raised more doubts than answers (the sub packages and play creation aside), my main worry about the whole system is that it's going to reduce the way the CPU can adjust to your game plans.

Am I wrong in thinking the CPU will be using these play calling tendencies and gameplans to dictate their own games? I know they made an effort to make teams play like themselves last year, but IIRC someone mentioned the user would be able to update game plans as the year went on so teams played more accurately?

If that's the case, how are they going to keep the whole weighting system of 1/2 star - 5 star AND adjust to things you are doing? I saw the developer said the system would take it into account if you are gouging them with CJ2k for instance, but it's too vague to be sure how exactly that would happen unless the weighting system adapts.

If that's not the case, doesn't that put the casual fans they are aiming at with this feature at a big disadvantage? I know I'd love to use gameflow to slowly learn how to pick apart a D, or stop certain routes and runs, but if our gameplans fail to adjust and theirs do because they have gameplans + the CPU adjustments...

Also, anyone who takes gameflow online is going to get creamed. Trying to make online a more honest environment is a brave move, but if people can just glitch as usual then it's going to mean nothing. If only EA would be brave enough to punish disconnectors - whatever the reason - but that's off topic.

I really really want this system to work though. It's a good option, and an interesting take on making playcalling how you see in on Sunday. I just hope it actually works.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #37
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2k9
Now that the chat seems to have raised more doubts than answers (the sub packages and play creation aside), my main worry about the whole system is that it's going to reduce the way the CPU can adjust to your game plans.

Am I wrong in thinking the CPU will be using these play calling tendencies and gameplans to dictate their own games? I know they made an effort to make teams play like themselves last year, but IIRC someone mentioned the user would be able to update game plans as the year went on so teams played more accurately?

If that's the case, how are they going to keep the whole weighting system of 1/2 star - 5 star AND adjust to things you are doing? I saw the developer said the system would take it into account if you are gouging them with CJ2k for instance, but it's too vague to be sure how exactly that would happen unless the weighting system adapts.

If that's not the case, doesn't that put the casual fans they are aiming at with this feature at a big disadvantage? I know I'd love to use gameflow to slowly learn how to pick apart a D, or stop certain routes and runs, but if our gameplans fail to adjust and theirs do because they have gameplans + the CPU adjustments...

Also, anyone who takes gameflow online is going to get creamed. Trying to make online a more honest environment is a brave move, but if people can just glitch as usual then it's going to mean nothing. If only EA would be brave enough to punish disconnectors - whatever the reason - but that's off topic.

I really really want this system to work though. It's a good option, and an interesting take on making playcalling how you see in on Sunday. I just hope it actually works.
Yeah, from what I understand, the cpu will use this same thing to call plays and you can edit their plays. To be quite honest, right now, this is the only thing that interests me about this.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm still going to try both out for franchise mode but I'm definitely not going to be using them for head to head games. I don't imagine it being all that fun using both when playing against someone.

But you know what... that's how I felt even before the chat. So yeah, my feelings about gameflow and gameplan haven't really changed that much in terms of when I'll use/test it... it's just kind of stronger now.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Not being able to switch from Gameflow to conventional playcalling during an online franchise game is a significant deterrent to using the feature.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #40
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Only issue for ME is online.

Me and another user having to both play the same way is lame as hell.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »