Home

Field size?

This is a discussion on Field size? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Pro

lolfalconsbeatu's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Field size?

Im not gonna lie, if your kicker in the game is not rated to high, 50 yarders are hard to come by. Jason Elam (before the meltdown) barely could make 45 yarders, but with someone like Crosby or Janikowski, its a chip shot.

As far as the actual field, i cant tell. The Has marks really do seem weird after playing Madden for the first time after playing NCAA for the couple of months before it comes out. Maybe its that?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfalconsbeatu
Im not gonna lie, if your kicker in the game is not rated to high, 50 yarders are hard to come by. Jason Elam (before the meltdown) barely could make 45 yarders, but with someone like Crosby or Janikowski, its a chip shot.

As far as the actual field, i cant tell. The Has marks really do seem weird after playing Madden for the first time after playing NCAA for the couple of months before it comes out. Maybe its that?
Yeah, Janikowski kicks 55 yarders like nothing. That's how I get most of my points lol.

As far as the field is concerned, I have been saying that the players size is not the right proportion to the field for a long time. That's why the players always seem like they're moving slow when they're running. There's nothing wrong with the running animations, it's how fast the animations play out that make the player seem like he's running slow. EA has to do that because if the animation played at a regular speed the players would be down the field waaay too quick because they are not the right proportion to the field.

This is also why a lot of routes in the passing game are hard to complete. It should be a piece of cake, most of the time, completing a dig route against zone coverage. In Madden though, you only have a small window to get the ball where it needs to be because the field is not wide enough. That allows LB's to cover more of the field which makes those passes harder to complete.

Seriously, how many times IRL, have you seen a RB get hit at the line of scrimmage and fall forward and it's a 3 yd gain. It happens a lot in Madden because either the players are too big and need to be smaller or the field is too short and narrow and needs to expand.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 25

Field/Player size is definitely "off' in some way....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
You can't make a 50 yard FG in Madden 10. 50 Yarder is easy to make.
Umm,what???
Which is it? and sorry,but yes you can make 50 yd fg's in Madden 10.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Well in actual gameplay the players look smaller but in cutscenes they look the right size
Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Umm,what???
Which is it? and sorry,but yes you can make 50 yd fg's in Madden 10.
The OP said he couldn't make it. LK was just repeating it. Think 'you can't make a 50 yard FG' (incredulously)? It's easy to make a 50 yard FG.

Just pick a kicker with a 90+ kicking power in M10. That's all that matters. Nothing else. It doesn't matter if his overall is 45. If he's got 90+ kicking power, you're good to go.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Well in actual gameplay the players look smaller but in cutscenes they look the right size
nah, I dont think so. Like someone mentioned, the cutscene where they dunk over the goal post shows how small the player models are or how "large" the field is.

In my opinion, they need to scale down the whole stadium. I mean in 06 they tried to exactley recreate seat by seat every stadium, and then reduced quality over time between then and now. Their best bet would be to reduce the whole stadium and improve quality.

look at the 2k series. MLB 2k, their stadiums are great and you can tell that they are scaled down a bit. Instead of there being 100 rows on field level, there might be 25-40 or something. They pull it off well and I am sure that it allows them to do more as opposed to having an exact replica seat by seat.

This would also help with player models and cameras in Madden. Now, everything always seems so far away. During a replay on TV, the stadium in the background doesn't look like its a mile away. You see the wall and fans on the other side of the stadium in the camera shot. In Madden, everything always looks so far off in the distance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 9

I also feel like the field is small. I think that's because of the way the animations play out. Because everything is "canned" they fit animations in to any spot, regardless of the location on the field. That's why we always get these stupid catch animations that trigger near the sideline, instead of the toe drag ones.

I think they need to come up with a new animation technology to use or something, because what they have now (ANT I believe it's called) is not cutting it anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »