Home

What did you like about Madden 10?

This is a discussion on What did you like about Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question What did you like about Madden 10?

There are a lot of requests for features for M11, and a lot of complaints about the existing game. I've asked for many things, and complained about others, but I don't think I have ever taken the time to say what I liked in the game. So here it goes, take it for what it's worth. I'll update the list if others chime in with items of their own and it sparks a memory.

Instead of attacking items you dislike, or pointing out items you don't like (even if others like them), please sound off on the items you liked about the game.

SoundTrack
One of the places Madden has shined at for years now. As a child of the 80's I loved hearing some good ole Iron Maiden during the game.

Graphics

The graphics do look super realistic, especially the skin tones and most of the helmets.

Stadiums

The stadiums simply look amazing, especially when the camera pans to show the sky. When I put in Madden 10 and saw the new Cowboys stadium, it was the first time I really felt awed at the size of a stadium in a football game.

Franchise

I loved the new trading system they put in place to make it more difficult to work / cheat the system. I made a ton of trades in my franchises, and for nearly 90% of them I pretty much got what I traded for, which means a fair trade. It's by far the best implementation of a trading system in a franchise in a football game.

Import NCAA Rosters

I finished 5 seasons in M10 in offline Franchise, and for the first time imported a Draft class to get access to some of my Texas Longhorn favorite players. Really enjoyed seeing real rookie players in my 2nd franchise season as it kept franchise realistic and fresh.

Statistics
The game offers a wide array of stats for every position in the game.

Gameplay Sliders

Sliders were a very welcomed addition to customize the game allowing gamers to work towards gameplay that felt more realistic and produced more realistic results.

Slower Game Speed (Configurable)

Madden 10 slowed the game down for normal speed, and even better gave us control of the game speed. I enjoyed the Slow game speed more than any other. It's the game speed I used to baseline the NFL Simulation Sliders.

Commentary

Collinsworth translates well to the video game medium. Loved hearing him in the game. He easily has the chops to compete with the 2K Sports commentators. Give the guy another quality commentator and some better material, and EA will have a killer commentary team.

Run Blocking
Once a run block is engaged, blocks are handled fairly and with how defensive players shed blocks to make moves on the carrier. This was one of my complaints from APF2K8. You had the ability to to do a Reach tackle with the Right Analog stick, but few people had the mind set to utilize it effectively.

Passing Game
I enjoy the ability to make multiple audibles at the line. This is something you couldn't do without cheating a little in APF2K8.

Throwing while in the grasp, or while getting hit. This really helped cut down on the sack rates.

ProTak

ProTak was definitely a welcome addition to the game, and after tuning it with the sliders, it would behave as expected in games for Power/Speed backs. Definitely added a feeling of realism as it was something that had been missing from football games since, well, forever. (Really hoping we see new animations, and a better tuned default setting in M11)

Fight for the Fumble
Loved the addition of this into the game. Really hoping that M11 continues to build upon it, adding more animations so it feels more dynamic and organic.

Tackles
They are working on Locomotion in Madden 11, but one thing I really like about Madden 10 is how players end their runs. You'll see them trip up a little and continue to run. Or see a player grab onto the back of a HB and they'll carry the runner for a bit before going down. Things like that really bring the game to life. I'd love to see them add HBs stretching out to put the ball down after a run (Emmitt Smith did this every single run). Or perhaps add animations where the player scoring high steps into the endzone on their own or lowers the ball (possibly based on how the player behaves in real life). Anything they add at the end of the play to make it more dynamic is a big plus.

I know there's a probably a lot I left out. What are the things you like? No item is too small.

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-08-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: What did you like about Madden 10?

Any soundtrack with Maiden is glorious. I liked the graphics. I like how you can rip off the computer in online franchise. That's about it.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
There are a lot of requests for features for M11, and a lot of complaints about the existing game. I've asked for many things, and complained about others, but I don't think I have ever taken the time to say what I liked in the game. So here it goes, take it for what it's worth. I'll update the list if others chime in with items of their own and it sparks a memory.

Instead of attacking items you dislike, or pointing out items you don't like (even if others like them), please sound off on the items you liked about the game.

Graphics

The graphics do look super realistic, especially the skin tones and most of the helmets.

Stadiums

The stadiums simply look amazing, especially when the camera pans to show the sky. When I put in Madden 10 and saw the new Cowboys stadium, it was the first time I really felt awed at the size of a stadium in a football game.

Franchise

I loved the new trading system they put in place to make it more difficult to work / cheat the system. I made a ton of trades in my franchises, and for nearly 90% of them I pretty much got what I traded for, which means a fair trade. It's by far the best implementation of a trading system in a franchise in a football game.

Gameplay Sliders

Sliders were a very welcomed addition to customize the game allowing gamers to work towards gameplay that felt more realistic and produced more realistic results.

Run Blocking
Once a run block is engaged, blocks are handled fairly and with how defensive players shed blocks to make moves on the carrier. This was one of my complaints from APF2K8. You had the ability to to do a Reach tackle with the Right Analog stick, but few people had the mind set to utilize it effectively.

Passing Game
I enjoy the ability to make multiple audibles at the line. This is something you couldn't do without cheating a little in APF2K8.

ProTak

ProTak was definitely a welcome addition to the game, and after tuning it with the sliders, it would behave as expected in games for Power/Speed backs. Definitely added a feeling of realism as it was something that had been missing from football games since, well, forever. (Really hoping we see new animations, and a better tuned default setting in M11)

Fight for the Fumble
Loved the addition of this into the game. Really hoping that M11 continues to build upon it, adding more animations so it feels more dynamic and organic.

Tackles
They are working on Locomotion in Madden 11, but one thing I really like about Madden 10 is how players end their runs. You'll see them trip up a little and continue to run. Or see a player grab onto the back of a HB and they'll carry the runner for a bit before going down. Things like that really bring the game to life. I'd love to see them add HBs stretching out to put the ball down after a run (Emmitt Smith did this every single run). Or perhaps add animations where the player scoring high steps into the endzone on their own or lowers the ball (possibly based on how the player behaves in real life). Anything they add at the end of the play to make it more dynamic is a big plus.

I know there's a probably a lot I left out. What are the things you like? No item is too small.
I never realized you liked anything about Madden 10, lol.

+1
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I thought Madden 10 was a big improvement and the best next gen offering by a good margin. However, I was still unhappy with the running physics ( which may be addressed in 11 ) and Franchise is a bit stale.

Really looking forward to M11.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I honestly give Madden 05-08 on the ps2 the edge over Madden 10 in just about every area. That said, the two things I liked about Madden 10 was the graphics and the slower game speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

I like that Madden 2010 includes all 32 nfl teams and the players on the teams...

Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I liked the soundtrack and chris collinsworth enthusiasm.

I liked the player details.

I liked that stats were available.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

I liked the added customization they gave us.Being able to edit positions and equipmentof players from other teams besides my own in Franchise.

Also being able to keep other players out of retirement from other teams(DLC)

Im glad we had some kind of progression after we edit players.b4 if we edited someone they would never progress.

Im happy the imported draft class players from NCAA have actual faces now.Adds a lil more realisim to Franchise.

Glad the game only froze once.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »