Home

Madden team wants more casual gamers? PUT IN A TUTORIAL!!

This is a discussion on Madden team wants more casual gamers? PUT IN A TUTORIAL!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden team wants more casual gamers? PUT IN A TUTORIAL!!

Nice post OP.

I feel personally a tutorial would be a great addition for Madden.

It's a feature that I think would be great for Madden and the game of football.

I can see this feature alone turning more people on to the game of Football simply because now they are being taught the game.

It is human nature that if you do not understand why things happen the way they do. You easily become turned off to it, but once you learn it. You start to really enjoy it.

This has happened to me with cell phones

I can only see more positives coming from a feature like this than negatives, so I totally agree with the idea in adding a tutorial.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 21

Ultimate football 95 had the prototype instruction manual that all video game football games should have.

It gave a brief history on various offensive and defensive formations and their strengths and weaknesses. I talks about offensive philosophy. Holes and block numbering.

The manual discusses count blocking, rule blocking, gap blocking, zone blocking, call blocking, technique blocking and all the terminology involved with blocking(gap, on, over, linebacker, inside, outside, fill, backside gap, hunt, tandem, stack, away, rule, reach, pull and trap, pull and lead, downfield)

It had diagrams of the WR routes and WR trees. What routes to run against certain coverages. Explained how to read coverages. It did all this for the defensive side of the ball also.

I understand Madden cant get too deep into alot of that stuff because the game does not do alot of that stuff. However they should explain what they do have implemented so users can better plan how they wish to attack and defend whatever they may run into online.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
or else what? These developers need to stop being scared of losing their jobs and speak what's on their mind instead of letting publisher push them around.
And if some suit told me job/no job, I'd think I'd like to be collecting paychecks from the guy in the suit still. Especially if my company had layoffs last year.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
or else what? These developers need to stop being scared of losing their jobs and speak what's on their mind instead of letting publisher push them around.
That's a daft thing to say. The devs have to follow what the publisher wants else they will lose their jobs, simple as that.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #29
Rookie

TheFuture94's Arena

OVR: 5

OP is 100% right. Instead of dumming down the game they need you addthings to help noobs have a easier time learning it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

What is Rookie level for anyways ?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I agree with the original poster and the pro-tutorial crowd. It isn't so much about knowing the sport, it's using the controls. It doesn't matter if you know when to do a pump fake with the QB, you've gotta know what control does said pump-fake, etc... Fifa does a great job at this. As games offer more control, you've gotta have a way to let players know the ever advancing control schemes. And,for a lot of people, a tutorial video does a lot more than a manual. Especially because EA has a history of some pretty barebones manuals. Some guys might not like that because it offers the casual user the same level of info as those who religiously woodshed, but it's the best way to grow the fanbase.

P.S. I did like what EA Canada did with Fifa09. They put out a players guide that had a ton of info for the Community Leaders. I posted it here and it helped countless players to become better at Fifa.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 05-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7

I remember in one of the versions of last-gen madden (i believe it was 03), they had a Madden 101 feature where you could pick a certain formation and play and madden will explain what defense the play is designed to counter against and the basic roles of certain players in the formation. I dont know why they ever took that feature out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »