Home

Passing distance concern - Dree Brees Video

This is a discussion on Passing distance concern - Dree Brees Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Passing distance concern - Dree Brees Video

It could be a bit better. Maybe a tad longer on the release.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

im just glad to see that if you get a break away run it dosent slow you downso the defence can tackle you
Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
zav
Rookie

OVR: 2

im more concerned about the DB that was like running lifelessly behind the WR and not making a play on it till he catches the ball im also more concerned that the DB ran in a straight line completely
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 7

Drew Brees also is known for having one of the weakest arms in the league, so he definately should have a longer wind up when throwing a bomb. JaMarcus Russell, Brett Favre, and Michael Vick I can see throwing a bomb like that (JaMarcus threw a bomb on his knee!) but not Drew Brees. Definately needs to be tweaked.

I am not saying Brees can't make that throw, he does throw deep a lot but because he has a weaker arm, it should be a longer wind-up

EDIT: also remember back in 2003, when Vick made his return from injury against the Panthers... when he threw the ball away all he did was flick his wrist and it went 40 yards down the field.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenBalla
Drew Brees also is known for having one of the weakest arms in the league, so he definately should have a longer wind up when throwing a bomb. JaMarcus Russell, Brett Favre, and Michael Vick I can see throwing a bomb like that (JaMarcus threw a bomb on his knee!) but not Drew Brees. Definately needs to be tweaked.

I am not saying Brees can't make that throw, he does throw deep a lot but because he has a weaker arm, it should be a longer wind-up

EDIT: also remember back in 2003, when Vick made his return from injury against the Panthers... when he threw the ball away all he did was flick his wrist and it went 40 yards down the field.
When he came into the league his arm strength was questioned, but no one has questioned it the past couple years. Last year he had a ridiculous completion % on balls thrown over 30 yards. I forget the exact numbers, the league was completing something like 35 % and he was around 50%.

To be that successful, he has to have some kind of arm strength, quick release, and anticipation.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
When he came into the league his arm strength was questioned, but no one has questioned it the past couple years. Last year he had a ridiculous completion % on balls thrown over 30 yards. I forget the exact numbers, the league was completing something like 35 % and he was around 50%.

To be that successful, he has to have some kind of arm strength, quick release, and anticipation.
Yeah, I've been watching Drew Brees going all the way back to Purdue and looking at him from then to now, he definitely puts a lot more zip on the ball post shoulder surgery. It's not by any means the strongest arm in the league, but I think he's a little underrated. He gets great velocity on 18-20 yard dig routes and he can really drive the ball downfield on those deep posts, the New England game comes to mind... and this beautiful throw that he powered deep into the seam against the Redskins late in the game to Colston.

Just off the top of my head from last years starters, I think he's got a stronger arm than all of these guys from a velocity standpoint in no particular order.

Matt Cassel

Brady Quinn

All Three Buffalo QBs that started last year

Matt Hasselbeck

Marc Bulger

Bruce Gradkowski

Alex Smith

Sean Hill

Kyle Orton

Jake Delhomme

Matt Moore

Matt Schaub

Vince Young - saw him in training camp and I was struck at how underwhelmed I was by his arm strength.

Mark Sanchez - good arm strength, but not overly strong.

Matt Ryan - his longer throws tend to hang a bit.

Phillip Rivers - good intermediate stuff, but his deep balls really hung up in the games I saw.

I think his arm strength is more comperable to the Romo's or Mannings of the NFL.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 05-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenBalla
I just re-watched the Cowboys/Eagles playoff game and on Vick's TD Pass, it was on of the prettiest throws I've ever seen. His form was beautiful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I have a lot of respect for 'ole Drew Brees after his Sports Science stint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »