Home

Madden With a Friend

This is a discussion on Madden With a Friend within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden With a Friend

Me and my buddy will pick a team that we think isn't a playoff team (to make it challenging) and co-op it up each game in Franchise mode. 1st player is the person who calls all the plays (always me, because my friend has no idea when it comes to calling defensive plays) and the 2nd player will either control the RB or a WR usually.

I know it's tough at first, when I first starting playing football games on the same team with friends it was always chaotic because nobody would know where each other were going half the time. But after a while you get used to playing together and it is a lot of fun. The trick is, the 2nd player will either a) run the route he is supposed to run based on the playcall, or b) tell you what route he is going to run based on the defense's setup before the snap. This keeps most confusion to a minimum. It's really fun on defense as well, because you have another actual human mind playing out there with you.

It's actually very fun, even to control the RB and just block for the Qb. It's satisfying to get a nice block on a blitzing linebacker to give the other player a little more time to get the ball off. The other trick is for the player controlling the QB to play the game as if there isn't a 2nd player playing with him. What I mean by that is, don't always look to throw the ball to the guy player 2 is controlling. If he's the guy you would normally look for on that play, then great. Otherwise, just hit the open guy.

I have been doing this with a couple of my friends for about 9-10 years or so now. Just recently (now that we're older and no longer have as much time to hang out) we decided that I would just play the franchise even when he isn't here and use it as my own personal franchise as well instead of having a 2nd one of my own. I just update him after I play a game and let him know how it went, who played well and all that good stuff. And we never play a playoff game without both of us playing.

Anyways that got a LOT longer than I wanted it to be.. but basically I'm still having a great time playing franchise mode with me and my buddy controlling the same team.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmick4324
Me and my friend played a co-op franchise. We played as the Chiefs and traded for a couple quick young corners I forgot who they were. We played as the #1 and #2 corners. It was a lot of fun.

We also played NCAA together, we made a teambuilder cupcake team and played as the FS and SS. It was fun competing for the Thorpe award and who could get more interceptions. I know how fun it can be to compete against your friends but it's just as fun playing together.

Gaither don't worry lol me and my friend would be at the gym talking about offseason moves and recruiting the entire time. We talked about our gaming sessions all the time.
This sounds a lot like me and my friend haha. The franchise's that we were able to play the longest into were usually when we were both CBs. It's a challenge to work together and shut down the opposing team's passing game. Usually ended up getting lit up by the slot guy, but what can ya do...

Plus this way you have to rely on you CPU players to stop the run, which is more of a realistic challenge I suppose..
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

One thing I tried was both of us picked a team and we would play as each others opponent only on AWAY games. that way we only have to play 24 regular season games at the most. It still made the end of the season fun. The playoffs we would usually end up in the conf finals together or the Super Bowl

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Rookie

murdamann10's Arena

OVR: 6

One thing me and my friend did (on NCAA and Madden) on ps2 to be specific is create our own players (realistic ratings and all/ no rating over 90), and play franchise/dynasty with our players on the worst team to try and turn the program around. Very fun on Madden trying to get MVP and NCAA trying to get Heisman.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 13

Pick your favorite teams
Sim the first 6 games that is not your team vs his
Play every other game against each other;
Like you play one of your teams' games against the cpu, then your next game he "guest stars" as your opponent. He does the same. so you play 5 games against the CPU and 10 games against your friend, he plays 5 games against the cpu and obviously 10 vs you.

This way if you win all your CPU games you are 5-0, if you go 3-2 against him as your teams' opponent you are 8-2, simming 6 games adds a certain luck factor, but going 2-4 in simmed games leaves you at 10-6 and likely in the playoffs. This makes the seasons go quicker, but still gives you a good sense of "controlling" your teams' destiny.

This is the model we use for "multi-player" franchises. It has worked beautifully in the past and we expect to continue in that way for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
This sounds a lot like me and my friend haha. The franchise's that we were able to play the longest into were usually when we were both CBs. It's a challenge to work together and shut down the opposing team's passing game. Usually ended up getting lit up by the slot guy, but what can ya do...

Plus this way you have to rely on you CPU players to stop the run, which is more of a realistic challenge I suppose..

Yeah the slot would always kill us and defending the run was also more difficult. It made us really concentrate on finding that 3rd corner that had a good press rating and was physical.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmick4324
Me and my friend played a co-op franchise. We played as the Chiefs and traded for a couple quick young corners I forgot who they were. We played as the #1 and #2 corners. It was a lot of fun.

We also played NCAA together, we made a teambuilder cupcake team and played as the FS and SS. It was fun competing for the Thorpe award and who could get more interceptions. I know how fun it can be to compete against your friends but it's just as fun playing together.

Gaither don't worry lol me and my friend would be at the gym talking about offseason moves and recruiting the entire time. We talked about our gaming sessions all the time.
My friend and I played NCAA 04 [if memory serves] and he suggested that we play as Boise State. We played as pass rushers. I would often play as the DE or DT while he was the bltizing LB. We would communicate and talk about who would try and "take the back" and who would "take the QB." This let us defend the option better and the off chance it was a play action. It would be funny how we would occasionally yell at each other for blowing an assignment or missing a takle. On offense I was the QB while he played as my back. Even if it was a pass he would pass block for me or be a target out of the back field. It was cool to watch Boise state a few years latter have that great Bowl game against Adrian Peterson's Sooners.

It was also nice that we played co-op on NCAA and Vs on Madden to keep things fresh all the time. Football video gaming wasn't perfect back in the day, but it was a lot of fun and it was nice to have a good friend ot play with. I am hoping Madden 11 delivers, another friend of mine is interested in doing this if it does [he's a jets fan for years.]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 8

I used to play coordinators with my friend in online games. He was on offense, I was on defense. We'd switch between playing and wearing the headset. It was either the best trash talk we could muster, or we were screaming at each other to play better.

Haven't done it in years though... Good times

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »