Home

Running Animation!!!

This is a discussion on Running Animation!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #41
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Running Animation!!!

One thing after patch two that bugs me is that the running backs seem to skip frames of animation to make up for speed differences when defense is in pursuit.

The running in Madden has been Mario running forever, no plant feet. Yes I same the talk and the side by side comparison video, but the actually gameplay I've see from M11 the running still unfortunately looks the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
For that matter one could easily simply look at a youtube clip of Sproles running 10 yards and count his strides, then do the same in Madden. I'll bet it's off by nearly nearly half.

It's not half, but it's definitely off, regarding the stride frequency. I was correct in that the stride length in Madden would have to be enormous in order to cover so much ground in the same amount of time over 40 yards. So the players in Madden take few strides over the same distance.

In this video both players take about 4 steps in the first 10 yards, which is incredible. (from the locomotion blog)

http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.a...gId=locomotion

******** src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=oybmZiMTq3XAJ_TTY3p7qy1891qWKG ZV&height=309&width=550&deepLinkEmbedCode=oybmZiMTq3XAJ_TTY3p7qy1891qWKGZV">

Taylor Mays runs a 4.24, 40 and takes about 6.5 steps in the first 10 yards.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep
It doesn't have to mathematically correct, it just has to look real. Which it doesn't.

Yes, it does have to be mathematically correct in order to look real. Because like I said before, speed = stride frequency x stride length. In Madden, the players run the correct 40 times or so, it's just that the stride lengths are so long it makes the stride frequency lower. If they decreased the stride length, then they would have to increase stride frequency in order to keep the speed the same.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Yes, it does have to be mathematically correct in order to look real. Because like I said before, speed = stride frequency x stride length. In Madden, the players run the correct 40 times or so, it's just that the stride lengths are so long it makes the stride frequency lower. If they decreased the stride length, then they would have to increase stride frequency in order to keep the speed the same.
That's the exact problem...players' strides don't realistically correspond with their build, I don't think Darren Sproles should run like a mini randy moss, covering 3-4 yards a step

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »