Home

The thing is...

This is a discussion on The thing is... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The thing is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
15 years ago I would not have believed you if you had told me there would be an NFL simulation game that had a complete off-season, dealing with free agents, the salary cap, millions of dollars, a draft with real college football players, halftime highlights, post-game shows, etc.

We've come a long way and sometimes we all take it for granted.
the problem is we had all that in 2k5 which was 6 yrs ago...and we are just getting there with madden now. Things should have progressed more since then.
http://twitter.com/AndyWestond < Its amazing how boring I am..
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #10

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxx
the problem is we had all that in 2k5 which was 6 yrs ago...and we are just getting there with madden now. Things should have progressed more since then.
Agreed.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

They've told me that their target group is young adult to Mid 30's, not young teens or below.

The problem is that they design in a way that causes that age group to be more critical. A lot of the issues in these games are things young kids aren't even concerned with or don't even notice... or might even think is cool. But blocking problems, moves that defy the laws of physics, and messy presentation are things that the older group is going to notice because they're older and more perceptive, and they're more inclined to demand that back-of-the-box claims are lived up to.

The other problem is that Madden in the past or other franchises didn't have a lot of the problems we have now. Gamers remember that fact, and it makes us enjoy the current game less because of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

If EA wants to target a younger, less experienced, ignorant group of gamers whom they deem witless, they can bring back EA Sports BIG, hell even Back Yard football or continue to lose money with Madden Arcade. But to deliberately take a game that has for it's entire lifespan, been self proclaimed "SIMULATION", "IT'S IN THE GAME", "EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON SUNDAY, and turn it into a game that a blind person could play is thumbing their nose at those who made the game as popular and successful as it is today. We are the reason the game even has an 11 behind it, and if EA isn't careful there won't be many more after 11.

The reason we complain about the faults of the game is that many of us simply remeber when the video game was the closest resemblance to actual football, and it was fun. If they don't want us to rip apart every new edition, they should actually make new additions that improve the game. They shouldn't rehash old features that we recognize as a new gimmick. I can't code, game design or anything of the sort, but if I could I would not be satisfied, with the current state of the game. I would be ashamed that I was trying to pull the wool over the consumers eye in today's economy. I wouldn't be able look at myself in the mirror if I couldn't provide my lifelong supporters with a proper physics engine for the game, player awareness, realistic attributes... If there were anything missing in the game I couldn't go nationally saying that everything you see on tv is in the game when it obviously isn't.

No one is perfect, we all can agree with that. Madden has come a long way, no one can deny that, but to put out the game year after year, making over inflated promises is just robbing the consumer. How long will we put up with it?

Last edited by TreFacTor; 05-13-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxx
Things should have progressed more since then.
THIS ^^^^ ftw....

The real issue this generation has been the total let down in quality that has accompanied the consoles. At first this was for ALL games...think back to the first generation of software on the 360 and the PS3...underwhelming to say the very least!

But the other genres have all had their "can't-miss, only-possible-on-this-gen" games:

Think Uncharted 2, COD4:MW1 & MW2, GOW3, MGS4, BF:BC2, RE5. Those games all brought something unseen to the table and yet here we are getting ready for Madden and NCAA 11 and we STILL talk about things from LAST GEN that are missing from the games...

Its not just that the games have been a let down from elevated expectations...its that they have not even ever included the total LAST GEN package! Add to that the fact that I think everyone assumed by this time on PS360 we would have a football game that included everything from Madden 2001-2007 AND ESPN NFL2K - 2K5 AND BackBreaker animations AND APF2K8 realism AND it would be called Madden 10 and you can see why not being where we should be is such a huge issue!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »