Home

Theory on Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Theory on Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Theory on Franchise Mode

I was just thinking about this and I think I found a solution to partially fixing Franchise Mode. Currently the gamer's role in Franchise Mode is unclear. You're not the Head Coach, since you can still hire the Head Coach for your team. Also, you're not the GM or Owner since in that case you would be the only GM or Owner in the game. There would be no point to consider yourself the Owner or GM if you cannot measure yourself in comparison to other Owners/GMs.

In many other games there is a clear role for you as a player. At least in the titles of the game mode there is (think GM Mode or Coach Mode). So my first question is this:

Would it help if your role in the franchise is clearly stated?

What I mean is, if you were to be the GM, there would be other GMs in the game and you could be hired/fired based on your performance and expectations. Also, your tasks could be clearly defined. A GM or Head Coach doesn't decide on stadium upgrades and an Owner doesn't concern himself with playbooks. In my opinion this distinction would help push the Game Mode in a certain direction. It could be a way for the devs to focus on certain aspects of 'Franchise Mode'. Right now all the different things you do don't really make sense. Second question:

What role should the game mode represent and what kind of limitations/additions do you think this should bring about?

Feel free to delete this topic if it has already been discussed at some point in time. I too find it annoying to read the same things over and over, but I haven't seen any question like this in my short time on OS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Theory on Franchise Mode

Lets hope there's no relation!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez

Lets hope there's no relation!
As long as I'm not breaking any rules I should be fine around here right? But since you're a respected member of this community I would really love to hear your opinion on the subject if you would do me the honour
Old 05-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

I'd say the role of an owner like Dan Snyder or Al Davis would be ideal.

Seriously tho, i think most hardcore gamers want complete control of their franchise while not sacrificing playing/coaching. In all honesty, I just think of myself as "the team" when i play, and it seems to work. You can be the owner and the coach, the QB and the DE. Kind of strange and conflicting to think of yourself as a whole entity, but it works for me.

With that being said, a separate "coach/gm" mode would certainly be welcome...with the threat of losing your job and changing teams an what not.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 13

Actually, if anything I would like to see franchise mode give you more control not take any away.

I look at it like this - I am Jerry Jones in franchise mode with respect to front office operations - I pick the groceries, I determine the ticket prices (please bring that back), I hire or fire the coaches, I decide which FAs are "courted" and which bums to trade (both for - see R. Williams, or away - see B. Carpenter), I hire/fire the scouting department people, the training staff and on and on. I decide which days are "fan appreciation" days (please bring that back).

In the game day area - I am any number of entities - the coaches, the players, the guy in the booth that says "Hey me, we should really challenge that call"!

If anything, I would like more control - custom hot routes, custom playbooks (at least the ability to pick the formations and what plays are included on both OFF and DEF), custom packages, full formation subs, full unit or global subs - ie blowout - I bring in second teamers.

I never like ideas that take control away in any aspect in games. Would not mind if some of it were options. Like "Global Franchise" would be what I am looking for, GM would be less inclusive - leaving out Stadium stuff like ticket prices, stadium naming deals, etc, Head Coach would be even less inclusive and leave out final say on FAs but allow you to "suggest" FAs to go after, allow you to build a draft board, but have the GM possibly over ride you and stuff like that.

I get why some people like the hire/fire or produce or lose your team idea, but for me I play in "multi-user: franchises and don't want to see that because it could potentially derail a good franchise. I like the idea of options, options, options. EA should build it from "total control" down and let you determine what level of options you want to oversee or have control over!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

The "position" you have in Franchise mode is only as the USER of the team. Although they are steps behind other games in that aspect (hell I'm playing College Hoops 2k8 and I'm in LEGACY mode as coach of the team)

I think they should add the option in there if you want to be HEAD coach, OFFENSIVE/DEFENSIVE COACH, GM, OWNER, or USER. Each position would have different options and scenarios you have to overcome. Infact, I think a LEGACY mode would be awesome. Start out as a head coach... after 4 or 5 years (watching/playing games or simming) you could have your hat thrown in depending on job performance to be the GM of a team where you deal DIRECTLY with all the coaches... ect...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceroik
As long as I'm not breaking any rules I should be fine around here right? But since you're a respected member of this community I would really love to hear your opinion on the subject if you would do me the honour
Definitely not breaking any rules, except perhaps referring to me as respected.

I actually misread the title, I thought it said Theory of Franchise Mode, hence the picture I posted. Ahhh well, wasn't that funny either way.

I think this has been discussed in general before. The role you're playing. It's blurred in a game since you are calling the plays (coordinateors / coaches job) and executing the play as a QB, Ball Carrier, Receiver, or Defensive Player.

I have no problem without the role separation, but I think they could definitively add 'modes', where you play a particular role and never stray from it. They had that with 'Head Coach' and SuperStar already. Seems it makes sense to break franchise down that way.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I feel the same way...Madden's franchise mode lost something the moment they got rid of the user-created coaches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »