Home

Gus Johnson Confirmed Play-By-Play Commentator For Madden NFL 11 w/ Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on Gus Johnson Confirmed Play-By-Play Commentator For Madden NFL 11 w/ Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #113
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Gus Johnson Confirmed Play-By-Play Commentator For Madden NFL 11 w/ Gameplay Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000;2041089673

What's changed in 2 yrs? Nothing. It doesn't matter if they resurrect Howard Cosell, get John Madden back in the booth, and throw in a dash of Brent Musburger and Al Michaels (the top 4 of the 50 greatest sports announcers of all time [url
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-top50announcers013009[/url] ), the commentary will be bad if they are putting in a lackluster effort with it, like they have been doing the last 2 years.

Tom Hammond was/is the scapegoat for poor commentary programming. Now I'm no programmer so I have no idea how easy or hard it is, but I do know one of 2 things has been happening the last 2 years. Either the programmers working on commentary lack the effort to fix it or they lack the talent to fix it. I would tend to think it was more of the former than the latter. It sounds harsh, but it is the truth. Anytime Hammond can pronounce Nnamdi Asomugha's(arguably the best CB in the game today) name wrong for 2 years in a row, you know something is wrong. I can't imagine how many people sent letters, emails, tweets, texts, etc to EA after Madden 09 saying that Nnamdi's last name is pronounced a-so-mu-wa not a-so-moo-gah, yet it made it into 10 the same way. That tells me something was really wrong with the effort put forth into commentary.

Now Tom Hammond is not completely off the hook. He was the one who said asomoogah in the first place, but I put more of the blame on the EA team. I've seen Hammond call games and he sounds nothing like he does in Madden. That's because the team has noticeable pauses before obvious spliced statements ie "Today's game is between **pause** the Oakland Raiders and **pause** the Denver Broncos. Tom Hammond doesn't talk like that. That's how the game is programmed.

You may say, well he sounds dull and bland like a robot. That's EA's job to tell him to put a little more excitement in his voice. They're supposed to be there to direct him. That's just more evidence of a lack of effort. If you ever watch a game that he announces, it's like night and day when compared to Madden. The first time I heard him call a game I was like who the hell is this? lol This isn't the same guy from Madden. While he may not be as exciting as Gus, he is definitely nowhere near as bad as he sounds on Madden.

I know a lot of you all are happy about Gus Johnson joining the Madden booth, but, like all those other guys said about Madden 09, it's not necessarily about the announcer, but about how the commentary is programmed to integrate into the game. If the team puts forth the same effort that they have been for the last 2 years, Gus Johnson may quickly become the new Tom Hammond.
I'm taking a wait and hear attitude before I jump up and down or crucify it without hearing any commentary or sounds in the game.

If I recall correctly, there is a new sound guy on board, as he made a post on here after 10 dropped, so, that's why I'm taking a wait and hear attitude.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #114
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Gus Johnson Confirmed Play-By-Play Commentator For Madden NFL 11 w/ Gameplay Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm taking a wait and hear attitude before I jump up and down or crucify it without hearing any commentary or sounds in the game.

If I recall correctly, there is a new sound guy on board, as he made a post on here after 10 dropped, so, that's why I'm taking a wait and hear attitude.
If there is a new sound guy then that's a good thing. I guess EA realize it wasn't just the announcer as well.

On a sidenote, what is going on with your post? It's all crazy looking.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #115
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
If there is a new sound guy then that's a good thing. I guess EA realize it wasn't just the announcer as well.

On a sidenote, what is going on with your post? It's all crazy looking.
That's your Malt Liquor kicking in, isn't it? haha, j/k.

I don't know what happened, really.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #116
Pro

OVR: 50

That was great!!!
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #117
MVP

OVR: 22

Amazing what a total revamp of the audio play by play has done for M11. Its just one of those things that is vital to a fun exciting game of football..i been saying this for many years in here that this is what madden needed and its now a reality..thank god.

Yeah..im really glad to see the turn EA has doing with the madden franchise..its now looking like a complete package. Presentation including audio is so crucial to a football videogame.. and this example of the new play by play clearly proves that.

Keep up the good work guys and im impressed with this new play by play..it will make this game a hell of alot more fun to play.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #118
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Amazing what a total revamp of the audio play by play has done for M11. Its just one of those things that is vital to a fun exciting game of football..i been saying this for many years in here that this is what madden needed and its now a reality..thank god.

Yeah..im really glad to see the turn EA has doing with the madden franchise..its now looking like a complete package. Presentation including audio is so crucial to a football videogame.. and this example of the new play by play clearly proves that.

Keep up the good work guys and im impressed with this new play by play..it will make this game a hell of alot more fun to play.

where did you hear the play by play? Your say your impressed with it, yet they haven't released any clips of it....?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #119
Rookie

OVR: 6

Its crazy with all the times someone has said that video was not in game commentary,and still people just ***-u-me it was in game without Chris C.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #120
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Just a journalist.
That's too bad because he sounded good with him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »