Home

American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

This is a discussion on American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #337
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
That idiot Michael Pachter is claiming that this ruling could only effect exclusive contracts with apparel companies. His claim is that video games fall under the same licensing concepts of their television broadcasting deals. Here's a direct quote:

He's basically making the same argument and claims as Exonerated was making earlier in the thread. He goes on to claim that the status quo will continue and that EA's exclusive deal isn't in jeopardy. Do his claims have any validity?

Here's the full article:

http://kotaku.com/5546408/what-the-n...ean-for-madden
lol.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #338
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
That idiot Michael Pachter is claiming that this ruling could only effect exclusive contracts with apparel companies. His claim is that video games fall under the same licensing concepts of their television broadcasting deals. Here's a direct quote:

He's basically making the same argument and claims as Exonerated was making earlier in the thread. He goes on to claim that the status quo will continue and that EA's exclusive deal isn't in jeopardy. Do his claims have any validity?

Here's the full article:

http://kotaku.com/5546408/what-the-n...ean-for-madden

Hope is a very fragile thing. I'm sure everyone's finally going to realize the American Needle Case had little to nothing to do with gaming. If you actually read the details of the case it seemed very clear to me what it was about & couldn't affect the EA/NFL exclusive deal. To me it was clear as day, but one person starts a thread & the title says it affects the exclusive deal & alot of people don't even bother actually looking at the details.

From day one I never really felt it was a case that was connected to getting rid of the exclusive license. For face value, yeah it seems like this case would help but if you actually read the details it's going to be pretty difficult & expensive if this does affect gaming. The guy in the article is right.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #339
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimixiii
Hope is a very fragile thing. I'm sure everyone's finally going to realize the American Needle Case had little to nothing to do with gaming. If you actually read the details of the case it seemed very clear to me what it was about & couldn't affect the EA/NFL exclusive deal. To me it was clear as day, but one person starts a thread & the title says it affects the exclusive deal & alot of people don't even bother actually looking at the details.

From day one I never really felt it was a case that was connected to getting rid of the exclusive license. For face value, yeah it seems like this case would help but if you actually read the details it's going to be pretty difficult & expensive if this does affect gaming. The guy in the article is right.
Was I right too lol?

But no seriously. There's no wrong or write in the law, its just who wins.

The matter put before the SC was a matter of ambuguity in the law -- that is, whether the NFL was a single entity.

Last edited by Exonerated; 05-26-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #340
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
It's merchandise but not in the same family as clothes, hats and lunchboxes. Which this case pertains to.
What family is that?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #341
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
All Pro Football was a rushed game that they put out to keep the name out there, if they made a new game I'm sure it would look better(even though at the time it didn't look bad). They said that they limited how much customization people could do because they were hoping that the NFL would let them get the license again so it seems that they just didn't want to make another non-licensed game.
Exactly. The prospects of the game selling well was low, so of course the dev team was going to be limited. I have barely played APF to be honest, it wasn't released in Aus last time I checked (which was around US release date) but to say APF is a sign of 2K on this console generation and an NFL game is silly - they'd obviously put more resources into an NFL game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #342
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
What family is that?
Apparel and amenties containing trademarks and copyrights of one NFL team sold in official independent retailers of each team.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #343
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Apparel and amenties containing trademarks and copyrights of one NFL team sold in official independent retailers of each team.
So this case has absolutely no impact on a shirt that has the Saints and Colts on it regarding the Superbowl? (serious Q, not being smart).
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #344
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
So this case has absolutely no impact on a shirt that has the Saints and Colts on it regarding the Superbowl? (serious Q, not being smart).
In those cases, each team seeks out the other and applies for a contractual obligation. It's usually a mutual and "common sense" sort of deal.

Before this ruling, these teams had to use Reebok when choosing the supplier of the special product because it was actually an NFL product as all the teams were part of one entity. Now since the NFL is not one entity, the Saints and Colts can choose who to license their jerseys to, be it Nike or Adidas or remain with Reebok, as the NFL cannot enter into a binding contract for all apparel. I'm not well versed in contract law though.

Also, you know how soccer teams have multiple trademarks. They simply enter into contracts.

And I may have mispoke when i said one, I should have said one entity.

That's what I think anyway. I don't pretend to be an expert. People have berating me on this thread saying I'm wrong. This is just what I think.

What I implied from the previous post is that apparel, homeware are all similar. Whilst digital media such as madden is materially different.

Last edited by Exonerated; 05-26-2010 at 05:42 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »