Home

American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

This is a discussion on American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #393
Rookie

ThisIsReality's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

Can someone fill me in why SCEA hasn't tried to make football games?

2K bought the rights for MLB games in 2005 but SCEA is allowed to make PS3 exclusive MLB games for some reason.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #394
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsReality
Can someone fill me in why SCEA hasn't tried to make football games?

2K bought the rights for MLB games in 2005 but SCEA is allowed to make PS3 exclusive MLB games for some reason.
The deal 2K signed for baseball is for 3rd party exclusive rights only. First party developers are still allowed to make an MLB game, hence why you still see The Show.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #395
All Star

OVR: 33

AN only had an appeal upheld on a matter of fact/law.

The case isn't over yet.

And the title is misleading. AN has not won. They appealed this little tidbit and the higher court approved.

The legal system is unnecessarily misleading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #396
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by udungoofed
Sorry if I'm in the wrong for reviving this topic......

Just read this on pasta.

A couple things I took out of here.

1) People on this forum, including myself, believe that NFL 2K13 was possible.......looks like it's one more year than we understood it to be.

2) From the sounds of that article, looks like the NFL is going to pay off American Needle, which won't continue to press the issue of exclusive licensing if they settle, meaning EA could own the NFL rights even longer.

I don't know if EA would do it because of the reports surrounding the cost of going exclusive is worth it or not........but in any case, whether you enjoy Madden 11 or not, this isn't good news for the consumer that exclusivity will likely be able to continue.
The on field license has been split. The Reebok deal gave Reebok the rights to produce all on field apparel. That license now has been split between Nike and New Era. New Era makes on field hats, and Nike supplies the uniforms.

I think people were expecting different some teams to have Nike jerseys, while others had Reebok. I don't think any league licenses there uniforms like that.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39634461
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #397
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
The on field license has been split. The Reebok deal gave Reebok the rights to produce all on field apparel. That license now has been split between Nike and New Era. New Era makes on field hats, and Nike supplies the uniforms.

I think people were expecting different some teams to have Nike jerseys, while others had Reebok. I don't think any league licenses there uniforms like that.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39634461
split licensing you say?
perfect.

in the next NFL's NFL game

2K can handle the graphics, animation, presentation

Natural Motion can handle the physics, logo creator and 3rd person Camera option.

and EA can handle the NFL intro video.

Last edited by Afrikan; 10-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #398
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
split licensing you say?
perfect.

in the next NFL's NFL game

2K can handle the graphics, animation, presentation

Natural Motion can handle the physics, logo creator and 3rd person Camera option.

and EA can handle the NFL intro video.
Obviously that's a joke.LOL, Reebok currently owns the license to all on field apparel. They had uniforms, head gear, and hats. Now, Nike gets uniforms while New Era gets on field head gear and hats. There also other suppliers that will make hats for fans and such.

You can split apparel licenses this way; with video games, you just have to award a blanket license to both 2k and EA, or it's illegal. Many people are worried that the NFL will settle with American Needle in order to keep pumping out exclusive deals. It doesn't matter if American Needle settles with the NFL or not. Since the SCOTUS declared the NFL to be 32 separate entities, a settlement won't change the fact that exclusive deals, with the NFL, are illegal.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 12-08-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #399
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
It is true though that EA tried to strike a deal years before and they were turned down. You make it seem like the NFL had to talk them into it.

Also how did the NFL undersell the license? Last I heard it was 400 and something million before the extension. If anything they oversold it.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/572/572886p1.html
"We (EA) have proposed exclusivity several times in the past, but this year, in the spring the NFL had an off-site meeting, and they decided to consider bids for exclusivity,"
Actually, you are right, I just did some research and it turns out I was confused...the undersold license was for the retired NFLPA players (http://www.1up.com/news/lawsuit-clai...heated-retired), not the NFL license. EA purchased the license for 300 million.

My point still stands though, whether EA or whomever owns the license, the NFL wants only one licensee. The quality of Madden is debatable, just as the quality of NFL football is often times debatable, as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #400
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by debauchlord
Actually, you are right, I just did some research and it turns out I was confused...the undersold license was for the retired NFLPA players (http://www.1up.com/news/lawsuit-clai...heated-retired), not the NFL license. EA purchased the license for 300 million.

My point still stands though, whether EA or whomever owns the license, the NFL wants only one licensee. The quality of Madden is debatable, just as the quality of NFL football is often times debatable, as well.
The NFL wants to generate the most revenue possible. Also, exclusive licenses, for the NFL, might not even be legal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »