Home

The Core Problem

This is a discussion on The Core Problem within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: The Core Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT

People can argue it, but I have played just about every Madden that is, and you will never make me believe that the current gen games play too much differently from last gen. Not saying that they are exactly the same and that they change nothing, but they are much, much, much, much, more similar than they are different.
Do you feel the same about most of the other sports games then?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Do you feel the same about most of the other sports games then?
Don't know. I have had a couple of NBA 2K's on PS2. None on this gen. I have owned NFL 2K5 and have played the original NFL 2K at a friends house and those are night and day. 2K5 and 2K8, which I also own, are very similar though.

I have owned Madden since 92 so I have a much bigger frame of reference from which to speak, but that isn't even my point. Aside from the graphics and some new wrinkles God of War III plays very much like the first two yet I still liked it. Many sequels are extremely similar to their precedents.

I'm not saying that Madden is alone in this, or even that it isn't understandable. What I am saying is:

1- I've been playing Madden for longer than I have been playing any other game so the fact that it is BASICALLY the same, is more painfully obvious and

2- People have argued with me many times that they are not the same, when it should be obvious that they are.

People have no problem saying that Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 are extremely similar, but those same people get up in arms when I say that Madden has not changed a whole hell of a lot over the years. All I was doing is calling a spade a spade
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

I remember when Joe Montana Football 94 came out, that was like THE best football game EVER! I couldn't wait for 95, and I would have been happy with just updated rosters. But they COMPLETELY changed that game. 95 and 94 were like night and day, but I hated 95, but I played it and played it even though I hated it.

Then I remember when Madden came out for the N64 for the first time, which I think was the first 3d sports game I've played and I LOVED it. Even though they didn't have the real NFL teams, I played the crap out of it. Then when Madden 99 came out, I think it was the first time they used motion capture and I hated it cause it was less real to me.

Bottom line is, we only have one NFL game and EA could poop in a box and call it Madden and people would still buy it.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Don't know. I have had a couple of NBA 2K's on PS2. None on this gen. I have owned NFL 2K5 and have played the original NFL 2K at a friends house and those are night and day. 2K5 and 2K8, which I also own, are very similar though.

I have owned Madden since 92 so I have a much bigger frame of reference from which to speak, but that isn't even my point. Aside from the graphics and some new wrinkles God of War III plays very much like the first two yet I still liked it. Many sequels are extremely similar to their precedents.

I'm not saying that Madden is alone in this, or even that it isn't understandable. What I am saying is:

1- I've been playing Madden for longer than I have been playing any other game so the fact that it is BASICALLY the same, is more painfully obvious and

2- People have argued with me many times that they are not the same, when it should be obvious that they are.

People have no problem saying that Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 are extremely similar, but those same people get up in arms when I say that Madden has not changed a whole hell of a lot over the years. All I was doing is calling a spade a spade
I've been playing Madden since I was 4 (Madden '93 was my first Madden). I grew up seeing the changes each year (when I was younger, I noticed graphical changes more than gameplay changes for pretty obvious reasons ). I will agree that the basics of the game are mainly the same as they've always been (I would probably say the same for just about any game series I've played), but the game has transformed and improved. In terms of Madden 10 compared to 09, the change in speed alone was so significant to me that I noticed it as soon as I played the demo. That and since QB suction was one of the top 3 things I was always annoyed about with the game for a good number of years, the fact that it was removed in 10 was another step up.

Also, in terms of 2k and 2k5, I haven't played NFL 2k since 2000 but I'm pretty sure that if I played it now I would agree with you.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I wonder if EA released the exact same game but with updated rosters how well it would sell? LOL..seriously..
So you're telling me this ISN'T what they're doing? lmao \=

The core problem is that 2K isn't making this game. EA is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

heh...nah, they're not doing that at all, people say they do and we all joke about it but each game has many upgrades and additions. Now you can debate if those are worthwhile upgrades, editions, etc but just saying the game is the same game with new rosters is inaccurate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »