Home

Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

This is a discussion on Route Based Passing in Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

As promised... Video #2 of a 3 part set... There's no audio on this, but I may add it if the discussion requires that the video be narrated.

NONE of the passes in this video used "Lead" on any of the passes. There is no action on the stick in any of these throws. The only variations are:

- Intended Receiver
- Pressure on the icon button
- Speed on the icon button
- Timing of the throw

The footage for part 3 is already on tape... All I need is a video to prove that I can actually do it with ONE FINGER. I'll get someone to film me doing it on Sunday... Look for part 3 soon.

If there are still naysayers after part 3 is done... I'm not going to know what to tell ya.

Later
Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 5

Thats great, but doing this in a real game will just get you a ton of ints. It's nice thats its there, but whats the point if it doesn't function correctly in game?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
As promised... Video #2 of a 3 part set... There's no audio on this, but I may add it if the discussion requires that the video be narrated.

NONE of the passes in this video used "Lead" on any of the passes. There is no action on the stick in any of these throws. The only variations are:

- Intended Receiver
- Pressure on the icon button
- Speed on the icon button
- Timing of the throw

The footage for part 3 is already on tape... All I need is a video to prove that I can actually do it with ONE FINGER. I'll get someone to film me doing it on Sunday... Look for part 3 soon.

If there are still naysayers after part 3 is done... I'm not going to know what to tell ya.

Later
Some funky video you got going on there. Think it's qualifies as the most arrogant/annoying commentary in a video I've ever subjugated myself to as well.

Short TE Out

On the 1st TE out, the TE does not run an out. It's a bad pass and the TE adjusts to the pass. Look at where the red circle is and where the TE runs to... it's not an out pattern like the TE was supposed to run. It's just the throw + catch mechanic that's already in the game. And yes, you through a bad pass in the direction the TE was running. Just look at the direction the TE is pointed when the ball leaves the QB's hand. heh

Deep TE OUT

On the Deep TE Out, again the receiver isn't running their route, they are going to the spot the ball is being thrown to. You can even see based on the play the TE is meant to go to the 18 but cuts at the 22. Based on this, I not sure we can trust anything that's in your video. You've shown that you can do lead passing, and you've tried to pass it off as route based passing before.

Everyone of those looked like a receiver reacting to a pass in order to make a catch. No a receiver running a route and then looking for the ball. When I see a ball thrown to a point, and the receiver react to it, without running their route, it's not route based passing. It's madden's throw and react catching, which is not the same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
Thats great, but doing this in a real game will just get you a ton of ints. It's nice thats its there, but whats the point if it doesn't function correctly in game?
Exactly. Even 'if' it did exist in Madden (which it doesn't), you couldn't throw the pass because you can read the coverage properly before a break. You could have a DB on the inside, and throw the ball on an out, and the DB will make a cut on the ball before the receiver does and make the INT. Adding route based passing, for it to be worthwhile to use, will mean getting rid of the throw/catch anytime passing mechanic (which really is for 'casual' players), replacing it with route based passing, taking away the psychic DB cheat that Madden uses to make up for bad AI (mainly due to the throw/catch anytime passing mechanic), and making sure that inside/outside/above/below coverage give up something on the coverage.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
So if I provide GAME FOOTAGE where:

1) The ball is NOT thrown in the direction of the receivers motion at the time of the throw
2) The receiver makes a plant cut (dips body instead of just turning) AFTER the ball it is released
3) The ball is thrown to a mark on the route where the receiver will be AFTER the cut

Would you then AGREE at least that it's POSSIBLE?

Later
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

I went into practice mode to try to do what you are doing. Here's what I walked away with.

1. Route Based Passing Does Not Exist in Madden (sorry, it just doesn't)
2. It is possible to pass to a point along the route.
3. It is VERY difficult to pass to a point along the route.
4. It becomes easier to pass to a point along the route the slower the ball is thrown.
5. It's impossible to throw a bullet pass to a point along the route. Only normal and lob passes may be thrown.
6. The receiver NEVER runs their route when you throw to a point. NEVER. The receiver breaks off whatever they were doing and runs towards the ball. Which is the way every other throw/catch in Madden works.

I'll give you that you can pass along the route via a VERY small window and only via normal/slow passes, and not in any effective manner, and definitely not in any way that can be used in a game. Primarily due to all of the cheats the have enacted simply to counter the throw/catch anytime passing mechanic. You should note that the examples I provided in my video is how I play APF2K8, and how I beat coverages. In Madden I'd end up a slew of interceptions if I tried the same thing.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 55

Route based passing does exist to some extent in Madden 10. Go run a corner-post double move. Throw it early, take some juice off the throw.... you'll lead it on the post. Is it up to APF quality? Of course not, but it's there in some capacity.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Route based passing does exist to some extent in Madden 10. Go run a corner-post double move. Throw it early, take some juice off the throw.... you'll lead it on the post. Is it up to APF quality? Of course not, but it's there in some capacity.
This is how I feel...and while it needs to be tightened up, I kind of like where it's at.

It's definitely exists more than it has any year on next gen. People seem to have their own expectations for route-based or timing passes. I simply like to be able to finish my drop and get rid of the ball. There are routes in M10 that allow me to do that. In prior years, it was way out of whack. In M10, I can at least anticipate some routes and throw prior to the receiver making his cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »