Home

Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

This is a discussion on Route Based Passing in Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
So if I provide GAME FOOTAGE where:

1) The ball is NOT thrown in the direction of the receivers motion at the time of the throw
2) The receiver makes a plant cut (dips body instead of just turning) AFTER the ball it is released
3) The ball is thrown to a mark on the route where the receiver will be AFTER the cut

Would you then AGREE at least that it's POSSIBLE?

Later
I know for a fact route based passing is in the game. Kinda, the window is very small. My problem is that it doesn't provide a better passing experience in game at all.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
This is how I feel...and while it needs to be tightened up, I kind of like where it's at.
Problem is the when you are able to throw it (high difficulty), the receiver's don't run their routes, they simply adjust to the ball as soon as it's thrown. It's why it looks so funky when the receiver makes the catch. Still can't use it in the game because coverage doesn't mean anything, and ball arc isn't correct (unable to properly throw over LBs).

Route based passing where the receiver continues to run their route, and looks for the ball at a spot simply doesn't exist in Madden.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
zav
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think he proved its in the game and i think its in there too but!.... it doesnt work... if you throw a pass in anticipation of the spot a WR's route will take him too your ALWAYS looking at 6 the other way

Also look at the APF2k8 vid and his vid and the APF2k8 was on another level

too prove that it is in the game just try superstar mode and run the route your supposed to run slowly and the QB will place it somewhere you should have been just not realistically
Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

"ALWAYS WITH YOU WHAT CANNOT BE DONE" - Yoda

Let's recap this discussion...

Quote:
Someone: Route Based Passing is NOT in Madden EVER...

Me: YES, you can pass based on receiver routes.

Someone: You don't even play AFP 2K, you don't even know what route based passing is.

Me: Route based passing is being able to throw before a receiver cuts and have the ball on target once he makes his break.

Someone: Yes, but you can't do it in Madden.

Me: Here's a video of me throwing before the receiver cuts, and delivering the pass to a spot on the route in Madden 10.

Someone: That's not Route based passing, that's Lead Passing. Although you're delivering the pass to the route, you are 'aiming' the pass with the stick to a point on the route and the receiver simply reacts to it.

Me: OK, then watch these clips showing passes thrown to where the receiver is running, passes Lead to the receiver where he only reacts, AND these other passes thrown before the cut that are thrown based on the route.

Someone: OK, I tried it and it works, but not like AFP 2K. You still can't do it in a game... You'd throw too many interceptions.

Me: Just wait for the 3rd Video.
Now that we're caught up...

Please, if you've been arguing that it's not possible to throw passes based on the route, don't assume you can't throw these in games when some of ya'll didn't even believe it could be done after SEEING it. Reserve judgment until you have more of an understanding of how to do it.

Alas In true TNT style, I'll let the video speak. Move to the 2:20 mark of my 2nd drive in this ONLINE GAME vs Dallas. I'm selecting WR Fade to convert a 3rd and 10 situation. Watch the slot to the post. He makes a full fledged cut AFTER the ball is thrown. You'll notice the ball is put in the proper spot for the route. You'll also notice it's a BULLET PASS.

You'll notice that the receiver begins his route about 2 yards from the numbers, but catches the ball WAIST HIGH near the hash marks. Had the receiver either a) continued his route the ball would have been far short and behind him b) failed to make a plant cut it c) the QB threw after the receiver's cut, THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ROUTE BASED.

Naysayers will make up some reason that it's NOT ROUTE BASED even though all the criterion for a route based pass is being met. I think we can all agree, it's most definitely NOT MOTION BASED or the ball would have been thrown up the field.

I'll be editing the 3rd video today with footage of the "One Finger Route Based Pass." I'll also be keeping an eye on all the objections posted in the thread to this point and addressing them all individually in the 3rd video (time constraints may require a 4th). So if you have questions or concerns, feel free to post them.

Lastly, to maintain full disclosure, I'll be posting the FULL UNEDITED PRACTICE SESSIONS. Then people will see the difficulty I had in demonstrating that the technique. Needless to say, you can route based pass even though the window to do so is TINY. It can help or hurt you in a real game (just like any other pass).

Later
Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Nice conversation you invented there. I like how you've ignored everything I've posted, or anything that proves you wrong. Can't wait for the next, annoying video, so you can tell yourself it can be done again.

Should I put together videos showing all the times it doesn't work? The list of items I put together pretty much shows what you can, and cannot do in Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I went into practice mode to try to do what you are doing. Here's what I walked away with.

1. Route Based Passing Does Not Exist in Madden (sorry, it just doesn't)
2. It is possible to pass to a point along the route.
3. It is VERY difficult to pass to a point along the route.
4. It becomes easier to pass to a point along the route the slower the ball is thrown.
5. It's impossible to throw a bullet pass to a point along the route. Only normal and lob passes may be thrown.
6. The receiver NEVER runs their route when you throw to a point. NEVER. The receiver breaks off whatever they were doing and runs towards the ball. Which is the way every other throw/catch in Madden works.

I'll give you that you can pass along the route via a VERY small window and only via normal/slow passes, and not in any effective manner, and definitely not in any way that can be used in a game. Primarily due to all of the cheats the have enacted simply to counter the throw/catch anytime passing mechanic. You should note that the examples I provided in my video is how I play APF2K8, and how I beat coverages. In Madden I'd end up a slew of interceptions if I tried the same thing.
Answer these questions:

1. Does the WR continue to run his route after the pass is thrown?
(Your earlier videos clearly show they don't, they are adjusting to where the ball is thrown)

2. How difficult is it to throw a pass that somewhat follows the route?
(Difficult for a multitude of reasons, psychic DBs, improper ball arcs, limited touch control, other coverage cheats. Extreme difficulty throwing bullet pass.)

3. What does the defense do 'if' you throw it?
(DB's will undercut the route many times, making Ints. On shorter routes, the LBS will be there to make an INT)

You seem to be on a campaign to prove something that isn't in the game is there. It's no wonder the game's stagnated over the years. What's ironic, is that you seem to enjoy lead passing, but are ok with the throw/catch anytime passing mechanic, which is the the biggest passing crutch ever put in a football video game. Offense would be MUCH more difficult if the receivers had to run their route before they could catch the ball. And defense would be MUCH more easy for EA developers to implement without it as well. They wouldn't need all of the cheats to make up for the poor throw/catch anytime passing mechanic.

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-30-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

One other thing, I think you still fail to grasp what route based passing is, despite multiple videos to show that it's in Madden.

Quote:
Route based passing is being able to throw before a receiver cuts and have the ball on target once he makes his break.
Route based passing is when the quarterback throws the ball before the receiver makes their cut/move on the route. The receiver continues to run their route, and catches the ball after they come out of their cut/move. With route based passing, you cannot throw the ball to the receiver before they make their cut/move. If you do, they receiver will not know the ball is coming, as they are not expecting it until they make their cut/move.

In the video examples I provided, if I were to throw the ball before they made the cut, then the ball would have been thrown straight along the WR's route, but the receiver would not have looked for the ball, and it would have resulted in an incompletion. This would not happen in Madden. In Madden, the receiver would automatically react to where the ball is going (which is exactly what's happening when you are able to throw a ball along the route).
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
One other thing, I think you still fail to grasp what route based passing is, despite multiple videos to show that it's in Madden.

Route based passing is when the quarterback throws the ball before the receiver makes their cut/move on the route. The receiver continues to run their route, and catches the ball after they come out of their cut/move. With route based passing, you cannot throw the ball to the receiver before they make their cut/move. If you do, they receiver will not know the ball is coming, as they are not expecting it until they make their cut/move.

In the video examples I provided, if I were to throw the ball before they made the cut, then the ball would have been thrown straight along the WR's route, but the receiver would not have looked for the ball, and it would have resulted in an incompletion. This would not happen in Madden. In Madden, the receiver would automatically react to where the ball is going (which is exactly what's happening when you are able to throw a ball along the route).
You again? I'm still too dumb to know what route based passing is?

Alright, let me do this:

You tell me... What would it take to prove that there is route based passing in Madden. What would you have to see?

Later
Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #24
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
What would it take to prove that there is route based passing in Madden. What would you have to see?
Madden 11, or some future version that actually has it in the game.

Later.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »