Home

Looks like Progression is pre determined

This is a discussion on Looks like Progression is pre determined within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Looks like Progression is pre determined

I have zero problem with progression being pre-determined. It gives EA greater control over the degree of talent in the league at any given time and prevents extreme situations that I'm sure people would complain about. However, I'm very much against player names not being randomized. If we didn't know John English would become one of the great QBs of all time I think things would be much better off (and scouting would matter so much more).
Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
If I'm reading that right, it means that their overall isn't capped then? Meaning the highest they could ever become?
It's not really capped but you have a general idea. Like a player may have the max potential of 93 but he can outperform that and progress to 95/96 if he has insane stats. Or never sniff 93 and wallow at 76 because of an early career of injuries and poor performances.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
I have zero problem with progression being pre-determined. It gives EA greater control over the degree of talent in the league at any given time and prevents extreme situations that I'm sure people would complain about. However, I'm very much against player names not being randomized. If we didn't know John English would become one of the great QBs of all time I think things would be much better off (and scouting would matter so much more).
So you're telling me if your team drafted a QB late in the draft and decided he'll never surpass a 70 OVR no matter what you'll be fine with it? I can't understand that.

Anyway this is all hypothetical until something official is said. But to me and the words Donny said made it sound like progression will be the same as it's been the past 3 maddens on next gen. Which IMO is a **** progression system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

They had Miles Austin capped at a B in M10, and I hated it. After his break out year, I wanted to take him all the way and turn him into a legendary WR, but I couldn't due to that lame 'max' potential limitation. I really hope they adopt the Fifa (PES) approach this year so we can enjoy making any player legendary if we have the skill/desire to do so.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

If this really is the case my entire Madden hype train just crashed and burned. There were no survivors.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
It's not really capped but you have a general idea. Like a player may have the max potential of 93 but he can outperform that and progress to 95/96 if he has insane stats. Or never sniff 93 and wallow at 76 because of an early career of injuries and poor performances.
This sounds almost sounds like the way it is in headcoach. Madden used about half the system from headcoach last year. Hope they add the other half in 11.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Performance has to affect progression.

I started Chad Henne in Week 1 in an online franchise in Madden 10. Then I found out that playing him or not playing him that early made no difference to his progression.

Well, that doesn't make sense. It also takes a lot of the fun out of coaching. It's so nonsensical, I still think it will be changed for Madden 11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Looks like Progression is pre determined
Buzz... wrong, try again!

I get the impression that what was ment was that with Max progression on, he progresses really well. I don't doubt that. Each year there are sleeper players in Madden. I remember in Madden 09 a CD of the Raiders was like a 48OVR or something liek that but he was 6'4" and had speed. You could own with hi mand he had like "A" potential even though it was hidden back then. Also, manny Lawson of the 49ers became like a high 80's or a low 90's player after the first year when the computer controlled him. He would get to the mid-to-high 90's in that game in a few seasons and would stay there.

A big tip for fantasy draft... while picking great players early is a good call, in later rounds go for players with great physical ability but low overall and an A or B potential. Potential is what makes route running, man/zone coverage, etc go up, not strength and speed [at least not that much.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »