Home

How to use the "potential" rating properly

This is a discussion on How to use the "potential" rating properly within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #33
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: How to use the "potetial" rating properly

Ratings determine how much a player gets paid and their worth to a team too.

If a RB ran for 1200 yards for a couple seasons ,do you really think he will take base salary? NO.

A rb in Madden does the same thing.But he doesnt progress.Will he take base salary?
Yes because he didnt progress to show his value to his team.

Not Reality.

But I do not think speed rating should go up or down.It should always stay the same.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

We're repeating

I think a player shouldn't be able to jump higher, throw better, run faster, get stronger or be more agile because of a good season. If a player is getting better he is getting better because of talent that wasn't used (potential) not because he had a good season.

the AI behavior especially those of the player negotiations are completely off.
would be awesome if the cpu would sign players based on stats NOT rating.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 5

the real problems are ratings dont really matter and the AI is terrible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeper84
the AI behavior especially those of the player negotiations are completely off.
would be awesome if the cpu would sign players based on stats NOT rating.
Based on stats??? Ha, not when madden still can not get sim statistics correct. Pancakes one year, rushing yards another, tackles and qb yards the next...
Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeper84
you've gained those 1200 yards with that 65 ovr player so you could repeat it. Why should he improve? He is not more talented because he had a good year. the other point is with a good OL even a bad RB can have a good year.
Again if a player had good stats in madden than he did all of that with his ratings. Why the hell should he have better abilities next year?
This really makes no sense. Is it the same if i throw 30 Tds with a backup? I can understand a good season does not elevate you but if you can continue thats how you progress otherwise if a player cant get better theres no progression to begin with. Also about the good OL and a bad RB yeah that can happen but hese still making plays. I think it was T.O that said if he played with great QBs like Rice did he would be on his level which is true Rice played with Montana and Young , so does that mean Rice was a lucky receiver? No. The point is progression could be simple if your doing good then your doing good and your stats increase to make them continue otherwise ratings have no meaning. I can run for 1000 with a 65 but its harder to do and even though I can do it that player should become better because their playing at a level above their rating. A 65 HB wont even start so if they have 1000 yards then they should get a boost plain and simple

Also If CJ is a 99 and 2000 yds and a 65 can do 1000 in your book then how many does an 80 get? because using the Giants in franchise where im run heavy Jacobs and Bradshaw each get 1000 yd seasons at about 80+ ovr .

Last edited by jsmoovexD; 06-06-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: needed to add more
Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just looked up some stats to show how i think progression could be done. These are Drew Brees yds from 05(last in SD) till now

05---3,576
good season started all 16 games as a second option behind LT who was the focus of the offense

06---4,418
Now a more important part of the offense since the move to NO in 16 games where he passed 50 more times than the previous season he had about 900 more. Brees was a average QB in 05 but now he asserts himself as a top QB throwing under 100 more yards than peyton and 900 more than Brady who were the number 1 and 2 however you ranked them. You could expect Brees to be anywhere from 3,500 to 4,400 for next year

07---4,423
By now he shows he can get 4,000 yds doing it for 2 years now. Also in a run heavy team he was 500 yds from that hesh mark years ago. If this was shown in progression he can play at this level so his rating should go up since hese playing at an elite level because he once again threw more than Peyton(99 ovr) and about 400 less in Brady's best season. Brees probably was expected to do 4,000 yds again

08---5,069
The record breaking season. Obviously a breakout season but more important he broke 4,000 again for the third straight time and was a pass short of breaking Marino's record. While Brady was injured he threw more than Peyton again. Also Peyton had great receivers like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison during those years. Brees who didn't get a well enough known receiver until Marques Colston made a name for himself this season. While a 5,000 yard season is a rare thing you expected great things from him. If you estimate his average over the last three seasons he should get about 4,300 next season.

09-4,388(SB season)
Math is fun sometimes. He hit it right on the estimated mark of 2 4,000 yd seasons and a 5,000 season. For four years Brees got over 4,000 yds make a list of QBs that did that for those seasons. One glaring name is Peyton Manning who is a common 99 ovr every year.

Brees Madden 07 rating (92)
P. Mannings Madden 07 rating (99).
Brees proved he could play at Mannings level in real life. If you look at stats and now Brees is rated 2 only behind Peyton in Madden 10. Obviously if you could replicate this in franchise. But you could do that with a 92 ovr QB. My point is As Brees played better his madden rating reflected it. Over the years in franchise since there are no updates since those years haven't happened yet the game progress a players rating based on his stats the same as a roster update would. So a person who plays at a level above his madden rating got it increased as of today. So why not for a 65 ovr back playing above a 65 ovr backs level
Old 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 55

The only way I could see a performace based progression being feasible is if there's a better way to "Grade" players on each play. Stats don't tell the whole story of a player's performance. On top of that, they'd need to make it relative to the league. What'd make that even more challenging is the variance in game length.

One thing I've always wanted in franchise mode is for simulated stats to mirror the quarter length you are using to physically play games, like Tecmo Super Bowl did.

Pancakes aren't everything for OL. What about missed blocks? Sacks aren't everything for DL. What about NG's who take on double teams and free up LB's to make plays? Should he regress because he doesn't have great stats?

Another thing I wish they'd do is make regression harsher for players over 30. My old vets shouldn't stay above 90 OVR IMO. Micheal Turner is still over 90 four years into an online franchise. I think halfbacks should burn out more in online franchises. Not everyone is a Jerome Bettis or Curtis Martin.

Anyway, I think potential is the best "easy" option to use unless they implemented something as described above.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 06-06-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #40
Rookie

No player improves his game because of his play on the field (thats whats really wrong with that argumentation) most of the improvement was developed during practice. So a talented player should develop into a superstar without having a lot of playing time. Players like: Rivers, Austin, Romo, Rodgers or Cassel would be impossible with a stat. based progression system.

Brees would be a A potential rookie whats so bad about finding good potential players through draft and scouting? Not every player has a breakout season not every player will be able to have one and thats what potential simulates perfectly.

You would agree that a talent like Drew Brees is rare in the NFL ? but with the old system every QB could be a Peyton Manning after 2-3 years. There was simply no depth in Franchise at all.

Like i said erlier stats should be a factor for the growth rate, but a not talented player should not improve.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »