Home

Great question on why certain things aren't shared between NCAA and Madden.

This is a discussion on Great question on why certain things aren't shared between NCAA and Madden. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Great question on why certain things aren't shared between NCAA and Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Progressive lighting is universal to football? Progressive lighting is a nice, atmospheric feature. But it not being in Madden isn't a travesty.

Gameflow and game planning is a difference in creative design. NCAA focused on different styles of offenses, and making sure each of those offenses was unique, opposed to how those plays would be selected, or organized for/by the user.

Neither game is lesser than the other, because of the lack of either game having one of those features.

If you're trying to prove a point, prove it by making a point. Not expecting someone to just "get" what you mean.
LOL! Yeah! Unless indoors it's the same earth,sun,moon and sky!

Pump your brakes on the rest,I wasnt trying to jump on you or anything and I didnt expect anyone to just get my point from that partial quote.That's why I was trying to clarify it.The OP only quoted part of what I said,in my original statement I clearly made a point,that I was trying to relay on here with that last post.

Be easy,bruh!LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LOL! Yeah! Unless indoors it's the same earth,sun,moon and sky!

Pump your brakes on the rest,I wasnt trying to jump on you or anything and I didnt expect anyone to just get my point from that partial quote.That's why I was trying to clarify it.The OP only quoted part of what I said,in my original statement I clearly made a point,that I was trying to relay on here with that last post.

Be easy,bruh!LOL
I edited my post after I re-read what I wrote. I forgot that you weren't the one who even started this topic. I shouldn't have been throwing it all your way.

There are a few features that the games should probably share, but it's just a difference in design, and priority.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #19
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

My best guess is they just want to keep both games slightly different from each other. So fans will keep buying both of them each. If both games had the same every year. Then people would just buy one of them. So bottom line it is just about the sales. But both groups try to keep both games close to real life games counterparts as they can.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #20
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
If the games are too similar then they fear people will only buy one game instead of two, which is less money for them.
I understand what you are saying and it could very well be the case.However,I just dont understand why companies think like this.It's like the CEOs and other suits that make decisions,dont shop or something!LOL

If NCAA Football and Madden were both equally good at delivering shared football elements and focused on their unique elements to make them different,alot of gamers would buy both.One of the smartest moves EA ever made,IMO,was making NCAA Football draft classes transferable to Madden.Now if they just take that concept online and put the same general football concepts in both,most gamers will want both games.

The key with these two games is to capitalize on the similarities and highlight the differences in the two sports like they do in real life.Use NCAA Football to sell Madden and vice versa.

Imagine being able to play in an online NCAA Football Dynasty and being able to transfer the year 1 eligible players to the draft in your Madden online/offline franchise.Also,being able to take fired coaches and coordinators from Madden to NCAA Football and back.

Give each NCAA Football player a storyline,something to catch my interest,wether his one of my players or not.Carry that over to Madden in the draft and make their names really matter to me like the guys in the real NFL do.Then Ill pick all the way to the 7th round in Madden and draft that kid from BumFup U. because I remember he being talked about in NCAA Football.

So much potential,man!LOL
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
It's one thing I've never understood either. They should be producing one football game that is configurable, and then configuring it for NCAA and the NFL. That doesn't seem to be the case however. It's very strange, and seems like there's a lot of duplicate work (waste $$$, time, & resources) that goes on at EA.
i totally agree with u, but never say this again. dont give ea any ideas cos they might end up realising they could save alot of money by just having one team build the game (and a smaller team changing it for the other game).

that been said, the idea that they dont "borrow" game mechanics from each other is absurd. it's probably not as simple as it sounds, but its probably alot more simpler than having to design the exact same mechanic from scratch to put in the other game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Without thinking of the sales ramifications, I do wish the games were much more similar. I think that's part of the reason why I have NEVER bought a NCAA game. It's not that the gameplay is all that different, but it can sometimes be different enough that I don't want to play it. Take Gameflow for example: if I fall in love with it, I'm not going to want to play NCAA without it. Or say NCAA has better equipment options for example; that'll have me look down upon Madden in some ways.

Overall, I think EA's marketing scheme is to share some things, but differentiate others. For a sometimes picky gamer such as myself, those differences are what steer me away from picking up both games.
I pick up both games, used, but I agree with your assessment. NCAA is different just enough that I don't enjoy it. The only thing I have played in NCAA for the last 2 or 3 years is the Road to Glory (SuperStar) mode. Without it, I wouldn't even waste the time on a used purchase. It's why I selfishly want a single player game that covers high school, college, and the NFL. Then I can quit buying NCAA as the single player mode will give me everything I want.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNutman
i totally agree with u, but never say this again. dont give ea any ideas cos they might end up realising they could save alot of money by just having one team build the game (and a smaller team changing it for the other game).

that been said, the idea that they dont "borrow" game mechanics from each other is absurd. it's probably not as simple as it sounds, but its probably alot more simpler than having to design the exact same mechanic from scratch to put in the other game.
They definitely borrow, but historically it's been NCAA that gets the new stuff a year later. It's kind of been the red headed step child, with Madden being the golden child.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 8

Progressive lighting?

That's not core to football... Why is this a point of emphasis? I've never played any game and thought, "WOW... These shadows aren't long enough." Seriously, who are these people that play football games for the freakin' lighting?

SMH

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »