Home

Are the animations and Tackles getting old to you?

This is a discussion on Are the animations and Tackles getting old to you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #33
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Are the animations and Tackles getting old to you?

The animations don't bother me half as much as the rendering. Madden's rendering is terrible. You can easily watch and see exactly when one animation plays into another one. On any given play lineman slide 2-3 yards into place while their bodies are frozen, tackle animations trigger leaving some defenders unable to get in on the tackle (even with pro-tak), wrs get last second super speed bursts to the ball.

Backbreaker's physics based tackle animations are simply unbelievable. If euphoria was blended with EA/2ks level of mocapped animations for passing and running, then we would have a football game that could rival a game like RDR in realism imo.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 2

hopefully madden 12 or nfl 12 (whatever the name is going to be) uses the new physics engine that EA sports has now
Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

If Madden dumped their current animation engine and just put in a real physics engine and let the player model's physics do the work, instead of stupid animations, I'd be lining up right now for the game.

That's it really. Keep everything else the same and just use a real physics system. Maybe do some motion-capture just as a basic instruction set for the player-models' movements and systems like that - but let the physics themselves determine the outcomes of a tackle or a block or a hit or all that stuff.

If I have to watch the same damn Fumble Pile-Up Animation, with the one guy who slides over top the pile in Madden 10 had one more time, I'll go insane.

Or the "gang-tackle" animation where 3 players fall down at the same time next to a ball carrier, in their own imaginary space where body parts fall through other body parts with no real-collision contact whatsoever, I'll cry.

This stuff just isn't worth $59.99 anymore. It's a rip off

They need to fix it or they are going to lose money again like they did with Madden 10. And EA's CEO will complain again that he's not happy with Madden sales - even though the core fanboys still go out and buy it blindly every eyar.

Well, get a clue dude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
If Madden dumped their current animation engine and just put in a real physics engine and let the player model's physics do the work, instead of stupid animations, I'd be lining up right now for the game.

That's it really. Keep everything else the same and just use a real physics system. Maybe do some motion-capture just as a basic instruction set for the player-models' movements and systems like that - but let the physics themselves determine the outcomes of a tackle or a block or a hit or all that stuff.

If I have to watch the same damn Fumble Pile-Up Animation, with the one guy who slides over top the pile in Madden 10 had one more time, I'll go insane.

Or the "gang-tackle" animation where 3 players fall down at the same time next to a ball carrier, in their own imaginary space where body parts fall through other body parts with no real-collision contact whatsoever, I'll cry.

This stuff just isn't worth $59.99 anymore. It's a rip off

They need to fix it or they are going to lose money again like they did with Madden 10. And EA's CEO will compalin again that he's not happy with Madden sales.

Well, get a clue dude.

think about how many problems they could solve with real time physics...prob would eliminate suction blocking/timeshift tackling/treadmill running...they would finally have consecutive hit tackles..wow i would be the 2nd person in line right behind u man!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 21

I don't think it will be easy to just throw Real Time Physic into Madden's current Engine...I think they will have to rewrite the whole thing.....

but I wouldn't be surprised if they have been working on a new engine these past few years and might bring it out next year....kind of like what they did with Madden 99 (answer to GameDay's Polygon Players)....Madden 2001(PS2)....Madden 06 (next Gen)...

that would also explain why Madden has looked the same these past 3-4 years.

But if Madden 12 looks similar to Madden 11, well then I just don't know anymore.

I mean...Like I said, look at their other titles...Fifa, NHL, and now NCAA....those games look amazing.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I don't think it will be easy to just throw Real Time Physic into Madden's current Engine...I think they will have to rewrite the whole thing.....

but I wouldn't be surprised if they have been working on a new engine these past few years and might bring it out next year....kind of like what they did with Madden 99 (answer to GameDay's Polygon Players)....Madden 2001(PS2)....Madden 06 (next Gen)...

that would also explain why Madden has looked the same these past 3-4 years.

But if Madden 12 looks similar to Madden 11, well then I just don't know anymore.

I mean...Like I said, look at their other titles...Fifa, NHL, and now NCAA....those games look amazing.

yea i know...for the sake of football gaming i hope they make a huge change for the better
Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #39
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmadden2013
hopefully madden 12 or nfl 12 (whatever the name is going to be) uses the new physics engine that EA sports has now

Not so sure about that lol.

I don't know if I trust their physics engine. Obviously I've never seen it and maybe they have been working on it for years and just kept it hush hush, and it's really gonna be unbelievable, but somehow I doubt it.

Developing a physics based engine is not an easy task. There is a reason why so many companies use the same few third party engines.

Natural Motion's schtick is engines. Yes they made a Football game, but only to showcase the engine. It's in several games. It's been in development for years. You know it works. Just use it. Just because they use Euphoria in Madden doesn't mean that it's gonna be exactly like Backbreaker. There are many different kinds of games that use Unreal and Havok.

If EA was putting a lot of money and man hours into developing a Phys Engine, I would say fine, sign me up. Most likely though this is just a side project by one of the dev teams that is currently working on one of EA's sports titles that's bound by a yearly release schedule. How much time and effort actually went into this new phys engine? Is this something they have been working on for years, or something that they came up with only recently during one of their yearly dev cycles? I don't know, but if it's the latter that's a pretty scary thought to me.

Color me skeptical, but I, personally, would feel better knowing that Madden was using something like Euphoria, that is a proven commodity from a company whose raison d'etre is making physics engines, then having something that one of the EA Sports teams came up with, having no idea of how much time was actually spent on it.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass_The_Cows
Honestly I can't believe this is where Madden is at in 2010. Look at the other games coming out nowadays: RDR, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Batman AA, The Show, etc etc etc. These games reek of excellence in nearly every area. Now look at Madden, a game I played for easily hundreds of hours in the PS2 days, it looks absolutely HORRIBLE. The graphics look good but the player models (shape-wise) look bad and good god does it look hideous in motion. 5 years ago I would fantasize about how amazing Madden was going to be on the next-gen consoles and beyond, how it would be hard to tell I whether I was watching a real game or playing a video game, little did I know 5 years later the game would actually look MORE robotic.
Well said. I too used to dream about what madden would be like in 2010. And that was back in the early to mid 90s. And i have to say, that in a lot of ways the game has gone backwards. Sure the graphics are much crisper and clearer, but its just doesn't look as real as it did a few years ago.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »