Home

Judging from the reviews so far....

This is a discussion on Judging from the reviews so far.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Judging from the reviews so far....

I have to say it is about what i expected. I didn't think it would get great reviews this year, since there is not a whole lot new to the game.

A lot of the negatives i see talk about how the offense is too powerful this year compared to the defense. Well since i strictly play offline this does not bother me. I'm sure i can adjust the sliders accordingly and make the defense catch up with the offense. They also talk about the annoyance of the strategy pad. Does anyone know if this can be turned off and replaced by the old way. I thought i read somewhere ian said it would be up to the player as to the style they would use.

Another issue is the play action passing. This is something that hopefully can be fixed with a patch.

It is no doubt disappointing that they basically left franchise untouched. But they supposedly fixed sim stats, which is a big plus. As long as the gameplay is enjoyable i can see myself playing thru several seasons before starting over again.

I already traded in madden 10 when i bought red dead, so i'm basically forced to buy. But in all honesty, i would've prolly bought it anyway. It sounds like the gameplay is improved and thats the most important thing. It's just a shame they can't fix things that have been bothering gamers for years now. I want to be able to put my best corner and have him on the best wr the whole game, regardless of where he lines up. U could do this on ps2 in the past!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Judging from the reviews so far....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thssanders
I have to say it is about what i expected. I didn't think it would get great reviews this year, since there is not a whole lot new to the game.

A lot of the negatives i see talk about how the offense is too powerful this year compared to the defense. Well since i strictly play offline this does not bother me. I'm sure i can adjust the sliders accordingly and make the defense catch up with the offense. They also talk about the annoyance of the strategy pad. Does anyone know if this can be turned off and replaced by the old way. I thought i read somewhere ian said it would be up to the player as to the style they would use.

Another issue is the play action passing. This is something that hopefully can be fixed with a patch.

It is no doubt disappointing that they basically left franchise untouched. But they supposedly fixed sim stats, which is a big plus. As long as the gameplay is enjoyable i can see myself playing thru several seasons before starting over again.

I already traded in madden 10 when i bought red dead, so i'm basically forced to buy. But in all honesty, i would've prolly bought it anyway. It sounds like the gameplay is improved and thats the most important thing. It's just a shame they can't fix things that have been bothering gamers for years now. I want to be able to put my best corner and have him on the best wr the whole game, regardless of where he lines up. U could do this on ps2 in the past!!!
I don't know, an 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.1, 9.5 reviews will look good on metacritic.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't know, an 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.1, 9.5 reviews will look good on metacritic.
i don't know how they gave it a 9.5. That sort of rating should be reserved for games that are close to perfect. I was glad to see someone like ign give it such a low score. Pastapadre didn't seem blown away with it either, although he does not give games a number score.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

8.0 is a low score ?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63
8.0 is a low score ?
Low for madden... when is the last time a madden game got that low of a score
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
MVP

Pacman83's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thssanders

You can do this in M10, i think on both systems (PS3/360)
This card is played a lot, the 'it used to be in' card. Yea, its warranted many times, even though its different hardware. But in this case, not so much. Check out the in-game menus (folks who still have last years) there should be a defensive assignment option...On topic, people put too much stock in media reviews, like IGN...to me thats why we have OS, so we can get regular opinions from numerous folks. I don't care what a score is, by the time i finish my research, i have pretty good idea whether they fixed my issues or improved areas.

GT: IIx PaCmAN xII
Rams/Mizzou/Cards

Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 28

Scores aside, what I have taken from the reviews is consistency. Each reviewer liked and disliked pretty much the same elements. Pasta's review was well balanced although it was kind of nice for him to compare the final product to the demo and E3 version in which he felt the final product in areas such as commentary was better. Overall, he seemed to like it more than what I had through his initial thoughts during E3 and the release of the demo.

The old controls for adjusting DL, LB and DB will be patched in but not for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

guys, reviews are only opinions, understand this. I think Madden is just fine this year, better then last years, still needs work. A nice solid NFL game. So if you going to let people reviews get to, even a 8.0 which is a great score hold you back, your loss.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »