Home

Madden 11 - E3 Hands On

This is a discussion on Madden 11 - E3 Hands On within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #33
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Madden 11 - E3 Hands On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursive
Madden 11 - E3 Hands On

I was lucky enough to attend E3 yesterday and was also able to get some solid playing time with the retail version of Madden 11. I played about 3 full hours and tried to break down most of the questions I see on this site. I’ll try to go in order of Main Menu to Completion of a Game.

First of the New Menu layout has changed quite a bit, I can tell you it has more to it but I’m not sure if it’s as easy to navigate as last years. It took a little bit getting used to as most of the changes did and we still saw a horrible amount of lag when choosing a team if the opponent is already on the uniform selection screen. Game options are not done by individual player but on the last screen by the home team. Playbooks and Uniforms are still done on the team select as well as difficulty. First impression was I liked the menus in 10 better that expanded instead of switched to a whole new screen.

Moving on to the Presentation, it is so fluid that I didn’t even really pay attention until the 2nd game. No repeats, no commentary that didn’t match up with the scenario, yes Collinsworth is still there but he does less of the talking so less annoying by default. I did skip through the opening and halftime shows because I had to play random Magazine Writers who were more into the new Gameflow feature.
Gameflow, when turned on as play calling you are will notice after each game you will have the option to either select full playbook or Gameflow. Gameflow will automatically pick the play for you and put you on the field. I guess if you have a headset you will be told the play and who your main target is but besides that you pretty much have to look at the play art. I will say if both players choose game flow through most of the game it seemed to cut the game time in half. I could see this being used and having the option to use the full playbook on 3rd down or when behind might be cool for some.
Play select from the full playbook hasn’t changed much but the way we audible has changed drastically, the first time using it I hated it but after a few games it started to feel better as I got used to it. The new audible system, hot routes, and adjustments are run from the D Pad; the Left stick was totally removed. Pressing a D Pad direction will bring up various options, for example; on defense press up to bring up selections, up to change coverage, and down to use press coverage. Once you pick up on it and remember that all Left stick option is now the D Pad it actually is a lot quicker. Anything that was on the Right Stick is still on the Right Stick.

I tried running a full game using Madden 10 overly effective plays; I could easily tell that the intention in Madden 10 were there but it took them to Madden 11 to clean them up. With the new Run Blocking you can virtually run any run play and be successful. My first game I ran with the Raiders versus the Cowboys, anytime I tried running to the left side Olshansky and Ware either stopped me for a loss or no gain. That’s not to say the Run Blocking isn’t improved, but that the Pursuit Angles and having better players make more of an impact improved. I always felt in Madden 10 that if you didn’t user a D lineman or a Linebacker they never worked of blocks as well when up against a lesser player. The second game I ran I was the Vikings versus the Cowboys and the difference from a mediocre Offensive line and a good line was an immediate difference. There were times were the line had made a small hole that I could squeeze through and then there were times I could drive a truck through the lane. The difference between McFadden on contact and Peterson on contact was night and day as well, you could see the difference in the way each back hit the hole. I don’t know if maybe Peterson has a higher acceleration rating the McFadden but he seemed noticeably quicker when getting through the hole. I also noticed that pulling lineman are actually getting to their spots quicker as well as picking up anyone that might be blitzing. Blocking up to the next level was excellent as well as was down field blocking when using a big WR. Rice sprung Peterson for an extra 15-20 yards because he was simply man handling the CB.

Passing was improved more in the sense that I felt you could pick on lesser rated defenders better in Madden 11. No more 60 rated LB swatting the ball when his back is turned, example; Having Trevor Scott in a Flat Zone trying to cover a WR coming across the field Scott looked absolutely lost on some plays. The WR would run right passed him and he seemed to only react once the ball was in the air making for an easy completion. This wasn’t a every play down but as a lower rated pass defender it was nice to see obvious lapses. On the other hand someone like D Ware was still great in coverage and was able to blanket a TE on most plays.

On Defense I tried running some nanos, using the 1-5-5, F@G D’s, ect. I will say you can still get instant pressure with a good blitz but Ray Lewis splitting a defender compare to Thomas Howard doesn’t get you the same results. It seems like this is the first year that I would rate a players Overall Rating higher then Speed. You simply cannot take advantage of the poor AI like last year, which doesn’t mean good blitzes are eliminated but a team like the Ravens are going to be Beastly on Defense not because of speed but because of the quality players. A team like the Raiders won’t have the same effectiveness as in past years because the blocking AI has improved and the lack of awareness on D will have a player out of position at times.

I almost forgot to touch on the Non-Sprint button; this will take a good while to get used too. Not because there is no button to push, but because not having the left analog stick pushed fully one way. Just like last year when sprinting making a move was less effective, well not having developed the touch for controlling how much I am actually leaning on the left stick made it hard to judge. Players like Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson in the open don’t feel like they are lacking anything once you are in full stride and I did not get caught once from behind when in the open field. Peterson had some big gains and most were stopped from going the distance because of better pursuit angles but when no one had a good enough angles he was gone. Also for some defenders the time it took them to change direction was all it took to get passed them. On defense you really noticed which players had good acceleration and agility, the time it took to stop and start running in another direction as well as get up to full speed was very noticeable from player to player.

One last thing, during fight for the fumble I noticed they finally took into consideration which two players fighting for the ball were. No more quarterbacks taking the ball from a D Lineman, the player with the greater strength had a greater advantage and needed a lot less button mashing then a weaker player.

I probably missed a lot of things and could probably touch on a lot more so please ask and I’ll try to remember.
wow, this is really a positive "preview".. and much different from the videos we have been seeing of player/ball morphing, dull commentary, and players skating on ice..

Do you work for EA? lol.. just kidding

But seriously, If the game is as good as what you say it is, than i will be happy this year finally..
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
Im guessing you didnt check out the Franchise MOde did you?
I wish, I am a franchise junkie. But I had a line of people behind me waiting to report on Gameflow and Presentation LOL.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

do players still bounce off of the tackle if the runner was already engaged by a defender?
are there consecutive hits yet?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
wow, this is really a positive "preview".. and much different from the videos we have been seeing of player/ball morphing, dull commentary, and players skating on ice..

Do you work for EA? lol.. just kidding

But seriously, If the game is as good as what you say it is, than i will be happy this year finally..
I only noticed once in 3 games where the QB was getting hit and he still through a decent pass without his arm never moving forward. But 1 in 4 and a half games isn't bad. Commentary isn't huge for me unless it's over bearing which needed to be mellowed out, less of Chris Collinsworth is always a plus. Ice Skating isn't something I noticed, maybe because I'm a Madden player and not a reporter I look at the improvements from Madden 10 to Madden 11.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

This thread has been a great read, man. It's good to hear from someone that actually has played the game instead of the wild speculation on here based on 2 minute videos. I appreciate the time you're taking to explain everything.

I guess I'll throw some questions your way, as well.

1) How did Pro-Tak feel compared to Madden 10? Did you notice much of a difference?

2) Can you describe how it felt using the right stick for your offensive moves?

3) How did the hit stick / lean change feel on the defensive end of the ball?

4) Did you throw many passes on comeback routes? Were the fixes as effective as discussed with regards to the receivers not running back to the LOS?

Thanks again, this has been a great read!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursive
WR and CB reactions seemed like a fight every play, it wasn't just one single press animation but actual fighting for position throughout a route.

For catch and tackle animations, nothing really stood out. Which is a good thing, nothing felt canned and nothing was repetitive enough to notice. I wasn't really looking for new stuff as I was looking at what was broken in Madden10 and if it got fixed.

I played a lot of reporter types, not hardcore Madden types. So it was hard to gauge things like slants, flats, ect. without having someone on the other end knowing what to look for. I will say that the flats seemed a lot better.
So you never got to test the CPU AI out in a HUM vs. CPU battle? damn....that would have been nice to hear. Hum vs. Hum covers a lot of flaws
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
do players still bounce off of the tackle if the runner was already engaged by a defender?
are there consecutive hits yet?
I honestly did see to many pro-tak tackles, I think last year being a new feature it seemed like every tackle was a 9 man tackle. I am actually glad that those animations are shorter, if I'm getting tackled let one man take me down and if I'm breaking a tackle do I really need to break it from 5 players?

I would say not enough pro-tak animations to really break this down, or at least not like last year. I saw a few 2-3 man tackles. Nothing crazy stood out which again might be a good thing.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #40
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm curious about in-game injuries--are they there this year? In Madden 10, there were either ZERO injuries, or a guy would get hurt, he'd be out two plays or maybe two series, and would return.

On top of that, there were tons of times when your man would get hurt, it would tell you that the risk for re-injury was huge, you'd opt for his back-up to come in as a result, and five minutes later the guy with the "huge injury risk" is on the field like nothing happened.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »