Home

Where's the Help?

This is a discussion on Where's the Help? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #41
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Where's the Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Wow, tlc, you're coming across a bit harsh, dontcha' think, seeing as you are apparently speaking to the Madden God himself.....lol
LOL!

Quote:
I get a real kick out of people like him, they THINK because they've mastered the ins-n-outs of Madden football, that this somehow makes them knowledgeable about the game of football...and it's apples and oranges, IMO.

I'm not a football guru, but then again, I am not coming onto a video game board claiming to be, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzien
I don't see anyone would need tips on how to play this game - it's been the same exact game for the the past 4 or 5 years now.

Whatever you did in Madden 07 will work in Madden 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
To be fair to Valdarez's point, the issue is that talk on football strategy, doesnt really become talk on strategy football.

Its more like talk on how to play Madden.

Many of the "strategic" elements of EA football, are really counter-intuitive to real football, because of how the game is programmed.

What's the point in discussing coverage strategies, when I can leave any CB in the game, pressed up 1 on 1 on Randy Moss, in Cover 3 and not get burned?
Sometimes you can convince yourself that, you are not wrong but you actually are. That's why it is nice to have other people around to keep you grounded. Im glad you guys chimed in because I have no problem with being wrong and often I am. However, in this case, at least I know Im not the only one that notices this about Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #42
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Agree 100%!

If you love football than Madden would not be your game of choice. The fact that football as we know it is not what you see in Madden should disgust you!

Because you have a site that link to 30 other sites than you know what your talking about!?

I have never seen one site give true football related strategies for Madden! They show you how to Rocket Catch, Nano Blitz and much more not football related skills. If thats your idea of strategy than please don't post any it on this site!
Exactly!

Man, it sure is good to finally see all the REASONABLE cavalry galloping into this thread! LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Wow, tlc, you're coming across a bit harsh, dontcha' think, seeing as you are apparently speaking to the Madden God himself.....lol

I get a real kick out of people like him, they THINK because they've mastered the ins-n-outs of Madden football, that this somehow makes them knowledgeable about the game of football...and it's apples and oranges, IMO.

I'm not a football guru, but then again, I am not coming onto a video game board claiming to be, either.
I'm no football guru, nor have I ever claimed to be. What I will lay claim to is being very adept at applying what I read from legitimate football gurus (coaches and historians) to the Madden game.

Where some people look at the difference between real football strategy and Madden as their excuse to fail year in and year out, I seek to use real football strategy to succeed.

This approach has worked for me for 8 years, no need to turn away from it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Many of the "strategic" elements of EA football, are really counter-intuitive to real football, because of how the game is programmed.

What's the point in discussing coverage strategies, when I can leave any CB in the game, pressed up 1 on 1 on Randy Moss, in Cover 3 and not get burned?
This is slightly skewed in the wrong direction... If Randy Moss is locked up in a Cover 3 and you aren't getting beat, you might want to look at your competition. If I ever used the Pats (which I don't), I'd beat you deep for several deep balls if you run Cover 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
If you love football than Madden would not be your game of choice. The fact that football as we know it is not what you see in Madden should disgust you!

Because you have a site that link to 30 other sites than you know what your talking about!?

I have never seen one site give true football related strategies for Madden! They show you how to Rocket Catch, Nano Blitz and much more not football related skills. If thats your idea of strategy than please don't post any it on this site!
I play Madden regardless of anyone's opinion of whether I should like another game.

While I'm disgusted by some of the bogus antics players use to win Madden games, I'm equally disgusted at weak minded players who find reasons to fail instead of searching for success.

Linking to over 30 Madden sites means nothing more than I'm EXPOSED to over 30 Madden sites ranging from SIM style strategy, league play, tournaments, foolish antics, and making excuses for failure. I make no claims as to the content of these sites other than there is Madden information contained in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Sometimes you can convince yourself that, you are not wrong but you actually are. That's why it is nice to have other people around to keep you grounded. Im glad you guys chimed in because I have no problem with being wrong and often I am. However, in this case, at least I know Im not the only one that notices this about Madden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Exactly!

Man, it sure is good to finally see all the REASONABLE cavalry galloping into this thread! LOL
Right or wrong. A player is only as good as their perspective allows them to be. There are alot of people who's perspective handicaps their game and their minds making it impossible to see and expand their knowledge.

For me it's simple who to listen to: I do not lean on the knowledge of Madden players because very few can be trusted.

I lean on football minds and football minds only. If you don't have a football book to your crtedit, I'm not interested in your opinion of NFL strategy. But if you do, I hold no one's opinion higher. I listen to John Madden, Tom Bass, Dave Henderson, Jimmy Johnson, Buddy Ryan, Bud Wilkinson, etc because I can trust them to know football. Then once I know their concepts backward and forward, I seek ways to apply their knowledge to Madden...

I have been 100% successful with my approach. In 8 years, I have focused only on techniques that have worked for years and will continue to do so because football doesn't change. To me learning football from football minds instead of leaning Madden excuses from NFL2K minds simply works best when I want to become better at Madden.

Needless to say, every OS'er can chime in... Won't matter. Nothing anyone says will erase the successes I've had using my perspective as a starting point for gaining knowledge.

But feel free to attempt to deride me in spite of my successes... I'm not going to hurt for it. I'll still be stopping my opponents while some of you guys complain that you can't.

Later
Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #44
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

I lean on football minds and football minds only. If you don't have a football book to your credit, I'm not interested in your opinion of NFL strategy. But if you do, I hold no one's opinion higher. I listen to John Madden, Tom Bass, Dave Henderson, Jimmy Johnson, Buddy Ryan, Bud Wilkinson, etc because I can trust them to know football. Then once I know their concepts backward and forward, I seek ways to apply their knowledge to Madden...

Later
actually, i think you started this thread with the idea of discussing strategy am i wrong? lol. i don't think very many of us OSers have a football book to our name. so what i'm getting, is you want to discuss strategy with us, but you aren't interested in our opinion. now that could be the wrong conclusion, but that conclusion is logically reached.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #45
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsball899
actually, i think you started this thread with the idea of discussing strategy am i wrong? lol. i don't think very many of us OSers have a football book to our name. so what i'm getting, is you want to discuss strategy with us, but you aren't interested in our opinion. now that could be the wrong conclusion, but that conclusion is logically reached.
BINGO! LOL!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

This is slightly skewed in the wrong direction... If Randy Moss is locked up in a Cover 3 and you aren't getting beat, you might want to look at your competition. If I ever used the Pats (which I don't), I'd beat you deep for several deep balls if you run Cover 3.

I guarantee you, that you would not.

I have zero fear of any deep threat in Madden.

Randy Moss doesnt explode off of the line, and the DB's are able to not give up any cushion, until they are 30-40 yards down the field.

">

Why should I scheme against the deep ball, since Randy Moss (and every other WR in this game.) is a posession receiver
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #47
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I'm known for my long posts and long winded answers, but I will try and keep this one simple.

To date, Madden has failed to "respect the game of football" regarding X's and O's strategy. There are countless example of this, the most obvious in madden 10 are poor pursuit angles and the inability to cover the flats by the AI. These are but examples. When core football issues are broken, talking X's and O's is a waste of time. Now, you can talk Madden strategy, and how to beat the AI or user opponents based on Madden knowledge, but not football knowledge and strategy.

On the other hand, we can talk about concepts and styles of play. A great example after a tournament for sim players, we were having a talk about how we play and why. The guy who took second was talking about how he prefers to play a bend but don't break defense and is okay with giving up drives with a lot of plays. The idea was that the offense will eventually make an error, that it is a matter of odds, the more plays the better chance they will make a mistake. I was talking about how offensively I like 14 play drives because it wears down the defense, frustrates the defensive player that they "can't get a stop," and it limits the amount of offensive plays they run. This, in turn, causes a lot of offensive players to go into "panic mode," and make mistakes more often trying to generate offense. I often force bad throws and interceptions by doing this. Well, and it helps to play good defense as it is.

I find that a lot of players lack any kind of patience when it comes to playing football. I understand that people have busy schedules and don't have "all day" to play a game of football, however, there is a difference between that and the patience to play even an 8-10min quarter game. Also, a lot of the people that have asked me how they can get better at Madden hear/read my advice and ignore it because it isn't "exciting." run the ball, play solid run defense. TEMPO TEMPO TEMPO. Just because you are down by 10 points doesn't mean you need to throw every down.

A great example I was actually losing by 10 in a game and people were talking smack how "it's over now." More so as they saw me running the ball and throwing short passes. 12 plays latter I scored and it was only a 3 point game going into the 4th. I held my opponent to a 3 and out knowing what they tend to call and knew they wanted to go for the throat. I completely stole the tempo back, drove down field and scored the game winning TD with only seconds left on the clock.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #48
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsball899
Well, this has been the issue with TNT since I saw hi return to these boards. Instead of talking about ideas and having a discussion, he comes in with an agenda, sees only what he wants to see, and when the cold hard facts are shown to him he dismisses them.

The fact that he claims he is a football guy first and a Madden paler second and hasn't played 2k5 or 2k8 is a testament to this being a false statement. If you were a footballl guy first he wouldn't "have no interest in 2k." This is opposite of the scitentific method and the goal of good scientist. If he wanted to experience great football, he would at least TRY 2k games and come to his own conclusion. Furthermore, when 2k5 is only like $1 used + shipping and 2k8 is dirt cheep as well, he can hardly claim that he doesn't want to "throw money away on a new game." We aren't talking about a new game, we are talking about a cup of coffee or less.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »