Home

Where's the Help?

This is a discussion on Where's the Help? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #65
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Where's the Help?

Taking you for face value for a moment TNT, I play a lot lot of cover 3 zone blitzes out of a 3-4 base defense. I prefer the 3-3-5 nickle over the 1-5-5 that New England has used in recent years. The same is true in "dime" situations. I prefer the "dollar" 3-2-6. Three down linemen are key in my defensive front.

I will also mix in cover one a lot. Both cover three and cover one look similar pre-snap and require very different reads after the snap. This can lead to confusion and mis-reads by the QB. I will only throw cover two at the offense from time to time. I dislike how cover two leaves center filed open a lot.

I like to call rotating zones and blitzes. I live by the saying "never play defense defensivly." I take risks, but calculated ones, and I am prepared to lose on a play. Every game my intention is to establish and control the tempo of the game.

In Madden, several times I will "give up" a big play here or there and then come out with a great defensive shell and force bad throws. I would say my greatest strength is my ability to force interceptions. It also doesn't hurt that I have been able to user pick really well over the years. I try to make you see one thing when it is actually another.

Offensively I will take a shot or two every so often, but my primary goal is to limit mistakes, control the clock, keep my defense rested, and spread the ball around. I remember people would say I throw the ball to Vernon Davis a lot, and at the end of games he often has the most receptions, but I have always targeted my TEs. Since Madden 0 7I have been able to really open up my offense because of Davis though. I take advantage of the speed/size/strength mismatch that he creates. I force my opponent to shade and double Davis to open up my other targets. Years ago in Madden there was a really nice Madden challenge award for distributing the ball to 7+ receivers and it became my goal that year forward to make sure 7 or more players got the ball each game. This is also really nice because the defense can't key on just one guy. this is when I stat to intentionally key on someline Davis and drill a few big plays and then use him as a decoy to get it to my #2 TE or slot receiver for example.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Where's the Help?

Good looking out PGaither...

Defensively, I use the 4-3, 46, and Nickel Normal formations most often. Once I've found my opponent's 'sweet spot' I'll switch to a 335. From there I can blitz the crap out of people without too much danger.

When I blitz, I'm not looking for sacks but rather hurried throws. I choose the gap I want to attack by when my opponent throws their passes. If they go with a 3-step drop I want to reach the QB on his 2nd step so I'll blitz the A-Gap. If it's a 5 step drop, I'll blitz the B-gap. 7-step, I'll blitz the C-Gap. If I can get a defender unblocked to the QB, I'll reach him 1 step earlier than the QB wants to throw which leads to turnovers (which I prefer to sacks).

I stay away from Cover 2 as well, except when I've noticed a tendency to ignore the deep center. So many players like attacking the flanks that the deep center is sometimes less of a gamble than covering the outside.

Most of the time I'm in man coverage though... Other than a few deep corner routes to a slot receiver, I can typically defend OK with some form of Man 1. It forces the offense to run several plays as long as I keep big plays to a minimum.

On offense, I'm the guy that plays from under center. Mostly I-Form and Singleback with the occasional Weak I, Strong I mixed in. I run the ball downhill with Dives and ISO plays, using Zone runs when the defense is aggressive. I use PA rarely, but I'm beginning to use it more once I get into FG range to move linebackers.

I've been working on hitting my outside receivers more since coming to OS. Before I concentrated on routes run between the numbers, but the discussions about RBP have forced me to practice passes I wouldn't ordinarily throw and has opened up passes to wideouts that I didn't throw before against coverage that would have changed my read in the past.

Mostly my offense is centered around short passes where the ball travels 10 yards or less in the air. I move the pocket based on an opponent's pressure scheme. If they blitz the middle, I move the QB to the edges. When they blitz the edges, I attack with quick passes to the flanks. When they finally back off and crowd the passing lanes, I go over the top or run it down threir throats again.

Since my offense is rather basic I rely on my defense and special teams to scoring opportunities. If I can create 14 points thru strong defensive play, I'll be positioned where I want at the end of the game. That's easier said than done though.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »