Home

Online Franchise Last Years Biggest Feature

This is a discussion on Online Franchise Last Years Biggest Feature within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Online Franchise Last Years Biggest Feature

Last years biggest feature was Online Franchise (IMO. I dont really count the gameplay changes). I felt that was the selling point. After all that was what one of the entire trailors was dedicated too. Overall Online Franchise was not even a franchise. There was no salary cap which made the Free Agency virtually useless and they also didnt allow anyone to trade draft picks. Then they went and revealed the same rookies every draft with shown rookie ratings which would lead to players throwing the season to get certain players. Then there was the scheduling difficulty that made it hard to play more than a game a day. Overall Online Franchise was a joke and I preferred the Leagues over Online Franchise.

They also added the team play thing which IMO was a waste of time. From the start it was just boring. The only sports game I could ever see working on team play would be basketball and maybe if paintball ever gets big but overall those are the only two games I could see have fun team play because there arent so many positions and all are equally fun.

So this year they add on to team play so now you can play against other people. Thats a start but still I dont see it working out to well. I just dont see people playing it consistently enough that it took priority over both franchise modes and gameplay issues.

Then the game added gameflow which again doesnt make much sense to me. The whole "make Madden simpler" idea just doesnt seem like the right direction. Deeper, yes but not simpler. They should be making it more complex. Make a difference between the 3-4 and 4-3 for once. Make the routes more about timing and anticipation. Make it so that these defenders dont run right by the ballcarrier because an animation has already been wrote (I thought thats what pro-tak was for but apparently not). Gameflow gives people plays instead of letting them find their own plays and creating their own gameplan. And I can guarentee the top 1000 maybe even top 10000 players on ranked matches wont use gameflow which will then not achieve Maddens goal of improving the gamespeed because no top ranked player is ever going to go away from their money plays and let Madden decide what theyre going to run. Then you have the people using gameflow waiting for me to find a play on offense and when Im trying to pick a defensive play Im only given 10 seconds because gameflow chose the opponents offensive play already.

I just think Madden isnt focusing on the right things. They continuously add these new game modes and features when first of all, they either arent complete or arent good, and second of all, there are more pressing needs.

All Im saying is Madden needs to fix the holes in its ship before it decides it wants to build some additions onto it. Otherwise its gonna sink, aka when 2k is able to make another football game with NFL players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Online Franchise Last Years Biggest Feature

The apparent lack of continuity of effort on this feature is really confusing. The OF was touted last year as a revolutionary development in football gaming, and it was, but it was so incomplete (no cap, no ability to reset games or do a host of other admin stuff, the same 1st 4 draft classes every time) that it was disappointing.

Without some major additions, I'm afraid this feature will die on the vine and simply become one more of those touted features that disappoints or is underdeveloped in reality. It's too early to say for sure, but I wouldn't expect major upgrades here.

Why not see this feature through and make it the be all, end all for online experiences?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
The apparent lack of continuity of effort on this feature is really confusing. The OF was touted last year as a revolutionary development in football gaming, and it was, but it was so incomplete (no cap, no ability to reset games or do a host of other admin stuff, the same 1st 4 draft classes every time) that it was disappointing.

Without some major additions, I'm afraid this feature will die on the vine and simply become one more of those touted features that disappoints or is underdeveloped in reality. It's too early to say for sure, but I wouldn't expect major upgrades here.

Why not see this feature through and make it the be all, end all for online experiences?
If they made it exactly like offline franchise I could see everyone on live and psn playing it.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Unfortunately, this has become the trademark of Tiburon over the years. Half-way implemented ideas with so many flaws that they never catch on, so they scrap them as though people were never interested in them BECAUSE they were poorly implemented.

They just really seem lost to me, like they have no plan for the future of this franchise. They patchwork some ideas together year after year, then just end up scrapping them for a "new" direction, and they are just spinning their wheels.

IMO, enough is enough...they've HAD their chance to bring their A game, and they've failed miserably.

EA, please just give this game to EA Canada, let's see what they can do with it!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Nev
Rookie

Nev's Arena

OVR: 3

Yeah Online Franchise is huge IMO. It would just be so much better if it was like a proper franchise instead of a glorified league.

I doubt I will be using Gameflow but I will give it a go. Also when playing online, you only play people who are using the same playcalling as you.
People who use Gameflow will only play other people that are using it as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Pasta, reported that they will not make any changes to online franchise in Madden 11. Which sucks because me and my friends were really looking forward to another 10 year dynasty in madden 11. We just finished ours for madden 10 last week. What happened to the changes that could do through the server?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Unfortunately, this has become the trademark of Tiburon over the years. Half-way implemented ideas with so many flaws that they never catch on, so they scrap them as though people were never interested in them BECAUSE they were poorly implemented.

They just really seem lost to me, like they have no plan for the future of this franchise. They patchwork some ideas together year after year, then just end up scrapping them for a "new" direction, and they are just spinning their wheels.

IMO, enough is enough...they've HAD their chance to bring their A game, and they've failed miserably.

EA, please just give this game to EA Canada, let's see what they can do with it!!!

had to double check, I thought I was reading one of my own posts. great post man,

Last year after messing with online franchise and trying to do a 32 team league running it by myself, I thought "Man, I wish they would have not released this feature this year, in this condition." Going forward, i though well at least 11 should be great with a whole other year to work on it.
Now they are selling the 2 year dev cycle on the franchise when OF will actually be 3 years since they worked on it from 09-10, 10-11, and now 11-12. Obviously whats done is doen at this point, but if, in 2012, we all dont take a step back and say "wow, this is a great feature" There is def something wrong.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Nev
Rookie

Nev's Arena

OVR: 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NpKW...ayer_embedded#!

What Ian says at 2:20 into the vid is what im still baffled about. To say that and then to do absolutely nothing to the Online Franchise (other than a roster update) for 2 years is quite shocking to me.

Even at the beginning of the vid they say its the biggest feature they have ever done but they end up sweeping it under the rug.

Bit hungover and fancied a little bitch and a moan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »