Home

Passing System

This is a discussion on Passing System within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #49
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Passing System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I don't think that needs to be the case. Fever had both types. Actually it had 3 ways to pass.
For a lot of people it's stale and boring. I actually was glad when the auto throw was brought in and I'd just play D.
Not a knock on EA but I just think too many people are just conditioned to think a better way isn't possible because EA hasn't been able to do it.

In any case.. a man can dream. I just don't like seeing people that think just because they like the current system it's the best system OR anyone who isn't happy is wrong.

It is what it is and if it never changes well there's nothing I can do about it except ask every year.. lol

Peace!

Never had any of the X systems so I've never played fever, but from what I gathered in the vid, isn't the cursor kind of tethered to the receiver? It isn't like John Elway for instance where you move the cursor all over the field. It's more that the cursor comes from underneath of the intended target and then you can move it from there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I am not wrong, then this would be akin to a pseudo total control passing like we have now, just much more precise, and as such, would be easier to implement along side the old method. I could be off base on that though.

In any event, the devs at Tiburon have said that changes taht were much more minute than what we are proposing would necessitate a rewrite with respect to different facets of the game, so even if I am mistaken about what I believe the Fever passing mechanic to be, I have no doubt that it would require considerable rewriting of the game to accomplish and may not be able to coexist with the old mechanic.

Just an educated guess.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I don't think it should be impossible at all. It just needs to be realistic. The QB will have to stop his momentum, set his feet and turn towards teh receiever and attempt to make an off balance throw. This happens very well in APF 2k8. If you try to throw across your body like that, you'll likely get decked before getting the pass off and probably fumble if you are bringing your arm back as you get hit. These are things you can see from simply watching a real football game. The big problem in Madden is I can be sprinting towards the sideline and throw to the opposite side of the field. It looks ridiculous as the QB does this terrible throwing animation and the ball shoots out across his body at 90mph.
That's the same difference; however, I think forcing the user to press the button twice every time is more realistic. What if the QB has his feet set, the receiver is open, but the user fails to press the button first to look at him ? Should the game simply force the QB to throw a bad pass just because the user didn't tap the button first to look at him ? That's not going to look very realistic. Also, what if he gets lucy and the receiver catches it ? I think it's better to force the user to lock onto the receiver and throw the ball every time. If the QB isn't looking at the WR, the first time he press the correspond icon he should lock onto the receiver and have to press it again to throw the ball.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Never had any of the X systems so I've never played fever, but from what I gathered in the vid, isn't the cursor kind of tethered to the receiver? It isn't like John Elway for instance where you move the cursor all over the field. It's more that the cursor comes from underneath of the intended target and then you can move it from there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I am not wrong, then this would be akin to a pseudo total control passing like we have now, just much more precise, and as such, would be easier to implement along side the old method. I could be off base on that though.

In any event, the devs at Tiburon have said that changes taht were much more minute than what we are proposing would necessitate a rewrite with respect to different facets of the game, so even if I am mistaken about what I believe the Fever passing mechanic to be, I have no doubt that it would require considerable rewriting of the game to accomplish and may not be able to coexist with the old mechanic.

Just an educated guess.
I'm so sick of hearing why things can't be changed because of how hard it would be to change it or to re-code it. I've never heard of any Devs besides Madden, complaining how hard it is to change something because it will break the game. We get this excuse over and over, when other sports games make HUGE strides from one year to the next. We just don't hear that from other game devs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 15

Here's a good video of read n lead in NFL Fever. I wouldn't mind something like this. I think you could implement something like with with awareness or accuracy so that depending on those to attributes, it would harder to easier to use the read n lead cursor.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
I'm so sick of hearing why things can't be changed because of how hard it would be to change it or to re-code it. I've never heard of any Devs besides Madden, complaining how hard it is to change something because it will break the game. We get this excuse over and over, when other sports games make HUGE strides from one year to the next. We just don't hear that from other game devs.
Cannot disagree with you here. Wish I could, but I've been more than vocal about this.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #54
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38

I'm just the messenger dude lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
While wearing a Football helmet, surrounded by players of both teams, that number is definitely less.
Remember, that 135 degrees is the average person. I'd assume pro athletes who are responsible for seeing the field would be as good or better than the average person...

While I'll agree that a helmet will decrease the angle of a player's periphery, the objects in his periphery that aren't attached to his head don't affect the angle at which he can 'see' objects. Even at the most extreme the angle that a player loses due to his helmet should be less than 10-15 degrees. players in a QB's periphery aren't a factor as to the angle of his periphery.

No excuse for any QB to have less than 30 degrees of periphery. Josh Looman and Mike Vick come to mind, and they had pinhole vision. You can put a helmet on backward and see more than these guys were seeing...

This was merely one of many issues with the vision cone, but one of the most important for me.

Regardless of whether EA changes the interface or not, they have to keep the old interface. QB Vision alienated alot of loyal Madden fans (including me).

Later

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #56
Pro

OVR: 13

I like the passing system as it is. There are certain gameplay aspects that if improved would make passing more difficult. I don't think a whole new mechanic needs to be introduced.

Then again, with the whole 'Kinect' crap, we may see that in the near future. Having to throw your own passes lol..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »