Home

This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings!

This is a discussion on This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Hey guys,

I want to first formally introduce myself to the forum. I have posted a bit but not much.

The reason I am here is seeing what you all do not like or like about the current ratings system. I have recently taken over the old FBGratings website from Brian Hitterman and The SportsXchange. The website is:

www.fbgratings.com/members

...for those of you who want to check it out. Due to the NextGen Madden games, I am updating everything on the site. However, I would like to hear some of your input on how you would like the ratings to be calculated using the current Madden 10/11 system. For example how do you think the speed of a player should be determined? How about his strength, etc.?

The goal is to rate the players BETTER than the guys at EA so the website can garner enough notoriety that EA would consider using the system at FBGratings. The owners of the site all agree that we can do a better job than Ian and company...so we are going to try and do it. In fact, the owner, Frank Cooney, still has strong ties to John Madden and his daughter, who currently runs the Madden gaming world in LA.

I have nearly unlimited resources including combine data dating back to the 1980s, pro day data to 2004, and profiles for over 17,000 present NFL players. So please let me know some of your thoughts. This could be a chance to make a big difference in the Madden ratings system.

Thanks,
Dan B.
www.fbgratings.com/members
I remember using your ratings back on Madden 2004. The only problem I had with it was that during franchise, the quarterbacks would be pretty poor in the sim stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

First of all thanks. i'm really looking forward to this.

Can really help with the Raiders if need be as i've spent a lot of time testing and editing them to correspond on the field with their real life counterparts.

E.g. for madden 2010, i put thomas howard down to a 79 ovr on my team but plays a lot closer to his real life counterpart. Hiram Eugene down and up in a lot of categories, etc. The thing i'm most proud of is my WR trio though (bey, murphy, schilens)

Let me know if i could help in any capacity, this is a long time comin!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I can tell you right now, that Collins' 4.36 official 40 time will be well represented. His speed will be around 91 as a result.

The only safties ahead of him are:

Brad Mueller 4.29
Tony Parrish 4.30
Taylor Mays 4.31
Chris Clemons 4.33
Josh Barrett 4.34
Michael Huff 4.34
Laron Landry 4.35
Reggie Nelson 4.35
Bob Sanders 4.35
Brian Williams 4.35

This doesn't mean he has the best speed, but it is very very good especially for his position.
This is what I dont understand about Madden and other sports games, still using a displayed ratings number system. A players 40 time is not relative to position, a 4.35 LB is the same speed as a 4.35 WR in real life. The difference would be in endurance and maybe acceleration but these guys can cover 40 yards in the same amount of time. Same thing goes for bench press, vertical jump, shuttle cones, tackling drills etc, most of the ratings have a real life system to measure them more accurately, IMO.

Anyway, sounds like a great thing you are doing and it seems like you are actually accounting for these things when calculating ratings.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #28
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
The goal is to rate the players BETTER than the guys at EA so the website can garner enough notoriety that EA would consider using the system at FBGratings. The owners of the site all agree that we can do a better job than Ian and company.
No offense, but it seems that Donny likes the "Ratings Czar" title too much to let anyone else get involved. Also, if the data is public, why couldn't EA just swipe the data from you anyway?

This site looks very ambitious, good luck!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
This is what I dont understand about Madden and other sports games, still using a displayed ratings number system. A players 40 time is not relative to position, a 4.35 LB is the same speed as a 4.35 WR in real life. The difference would be in endurance and maybe acceleration but these guys can cover 40 yards in the same amount of time. Same thing goes for bench press, vertical jump, shuttle cones, tackling drills etc, most of the ratings have a real life system to measure them more accurately, IMO.

Anyway, sounds like a great thing you are doing and it seems like you are actually accounting for these things when calculating ratings.
The great thing about this set of ratings is they WILL account for speed no matter the position. No more Mario Williams being faster than Atari Bigby...If you run a 4.37 as a TE, you will be the same speed as a CB who runs a 4.37. Simple as that.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
No offense, but it seems that Donny likes the "Ratings Czar" title too much to let anyone else get involved. Also, if the data is public, why couldn't EA just swipe the data from you anyway?

This site looks very ambitious, good luck!
Believe it or not, they have swiped this stuff before from us when doing player CAPs. However, my goal is to garner more attention by bringing more realistic ratings to the gaming community. If we do a better job than those guys and it catches on, then perhaps we can force them to make some changes down the road.

Any more things you would like to see with the ratings? How would you like some of the attributes to be rated? Do you like having a wider range? What would that range be? Come on guys this is your chance to get some input into something real for a change instead of having your demands fall on deaf ears. We will also be producing roster and draft class files that can be downloaded for free from the website in the near future. So, you can in essence have the rosters that you gave your input on. Something REAL from someone who will actually listen. Let's hear it!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #31
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Any more things you would like to see with the ratings? How would you like some of the attributes to be rated? Do you like having a wider range? What would that range be? Come on guys this is your chance to get some input into something real for a change instead of having your demands fall on deaf ears. We will also be producing roster and draft class files that can be downloaded for free from the website in the near future. So, you can in essence have the rosters that you gave your input on. Something REAL from someone who will actually listen. Let's hear it!!!
I think strength and speed/acceleration are two ratings that they have been way too liberal in the past (a lot of the time making fast guys strong and strong guys fast - hiram eugene for example) with and i believe they also have the biggest effect on how players move on the field. I would like to see a more true to life depiction for these two categories in particular across the whole spectrum. It's amazing how much better the Raiders 'felt' after i made my adjustments.

For example with Thomas Howard, i believe before i edited him he was an 84?

i edited him down to a 79 with these ratings..

90 spd (or whatever you think is close to a 4.49 40) 72 strength 86 agility 94 acceleration 68 awareness 67 catch 79 tackle (<-generous still) 78 hit power, 62 pmv and 69 fnm (<-generous on both counts) 96 pursuit 79 play recognition, 66 zone coverage (he was really bad in zone last year) 86 man (picked up the slack in man) etc..

I can give you my own personal breakdowns if you'd like, then again i don't know what your guidelines are for determining the ratings..or maybe that's what your trying to figure out? I know the intricacies for every player on the Raiders..so that's really all i could speak on as far as a comparative analysis goes..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

This sounds great and all, but until EA uses this scale it will be useful in play now games only. I don't want to take this roster set into a franchise mode. With the rosters a 79 is a good player, but some rookies will come in at 80+ in Madden's franchise, so after one year of franchise the ratings backfire.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »