Home

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

This is a discussion on If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an option to hide ratings for franchise?
Yes, I would definitely use it. 228 56.16%
I might try it out, but I don't need it. 71 17.49%
An option wouldn't hurt, but its not for me. 54 13.30%
No, I would not want to see this in Madden. 53 13.05%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #145
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It has nothing to do with creativity and everything to do with practicality. I can't evaluate 75 players during 4 preseason games with no other information but game stats to go off of. At some point it becomes 'i have to cut 3 more players, who's the cheapest meaning they're the most expendable and I have enough depth at that position' because no, I can't evaluate 50 people throughout 4 preseason games while rebuilding a team without sufficient UI and information improvements to go with 'hide the ratings!'

This idea sounds nice if you are looking at 3 running backs or quarterbacks that you are controlling yourself, but when it comes to having to evaluate several positions over the course of a preseason again it's not a matter of 'lacking creativity' (though if your creativity is stifled because numbers are on the screen, it's not me that's lacking it) but rather a matter of practicality. You're better off arguing the issue rather than subjective things like the creativity of detractors.

As for DLC, it's not free for them to distribute it, if it's not on the disk it probably isn't worth the expense.

I can see why they would say this is easy to do, but when considering use cases I can also see why they wouldn't just toss it in if they preferred to try it at some point and do it correctly.
I don't have a problem with that and YOU would NOT have to. However, myself and others feel WE CAN do that, so we want this OPTION.

My "creative" solution for evaluating 75 players with ratings hidden, using only what we have available now, is as follows. I use the Redskins so, of the 75, there are at least 24 players with plenty of prior on field performance that I would be well aware of. (11 offensive starters, 11 defensive starters, the punter and kicker). That leaves 51 potential unknowns competing for 29 other roster spots. For me, four preseason games, a combined 16 quarters, is plenty of game time to practically evaluate 51 player's on field performance.

I have no interest in trying to be some "internet G" or trying to demean anyone for how they feel. All I want is a Madden developer described easy to implement OPTION, added to Madden.

As far as the response to the DLC question, I guess opinions really are like arseholes, the world is full of them.LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #146
MVP

OVR: 26

Never.
Numbers>Opinions

Just call me Sanchez
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #147
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Never.
Numbers>Opinions
So that sounds like a really good reason to not use the option - it doesn't sound like a reason to oppose the creation of such an option.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #148
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Never.
Numbers>Opinions
So if I understand your opinion correctly, the OPTION should "never" be added because "numbers>Opinions, right? So by that equation, the 298 votes ok with the option being added outweighing the 48 against means your opinion should "never" be considered either on OS, right?

C'mon man, nobody is advocating for the abolishment of "numbers" in Madden. Even with the OPTION turned on, numerical stats are still available, just numerical ratings would be hidden.

Also, numbers
Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #149
Rookie

OVR: 1

"With ratings turned off, the CPU wouldn't go for WR 1 who is 90 overall, but has 20 catches and 10 drops for 165 yards and 0 TD's instead of WR 2 who is a 83 overall, but has 67 catches, 1200 yards and 8 TDs. They would take the player who is doing better in the season.

EA could also implement a value bar for a player. Instead of ratings determining how much a team would be willing to trade for a player, it would be his value. If Colt Brennan is having an awesome year with 70% completion, 25 TDs, and only 3 INTs then his value would be high to the Redskins. If they tried to trade him though to a team like the Colts with a superstar QB his value bar would be very low for them, but trading him somewhere with a struggling QB like Oakland might make his value bar go up even more for them than the Redskins and they will likely try and snag him from you. Now, if Campbell is having a great year too, then his value would be high and Colt's would be low to them. I think past seasons should be a part of the value too. If I am having a great year with a player, but his past seasons have shown inconsistencies, then his value shouldn't be as high as someone who has had a good season almost every season."

I think NHL 11 has something similar to this. When trading players their overall doesn't totally determine their value. I thinks its based on stats, age, etc. I could be wrong tho.

Last edited by ross_wittenmyer; 05-25-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote OP.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #150
Rookie

OVR: 9

I would like the option. But even with that option, it's not like we wouldn't know anything about the player.

40 times (high and low), Bench reps, cone-drill times, vertical, etc (mainly physical attributes)...we should have access to that type of information as a coach. In later Madden's, maybe they would improve scouting (think nba 2k11), and scouts would judge things such as catching, accuracy, block-shedding, etc (positional skill set attributes)...

Then as a coach, you put players on the field and see what they are capable of. I would love to see one of my walk-on CBs turn into a shutdown corner. It would just add another level to those who are really trying to dig deep and pull out a more enjoyable/challenging/creative franchise
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #151
Rookie

OVR: 1

Like many others i like to build my team and draft players to fit a certain mold.

Example- West Coast- Accurate Qbs with short acc , Wideouts with RR over speed, and RB's that can catch. This changes from team to team,scheme to scheme.I'm all for hidden overall but ratings?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #152
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_wittenmyer
"With ratings turned off, the CPU wouldn't go for WR 1 who is 90 overall, but has 20 catches and 10 drops for 165 yards and 0 TD's instead of WR 2 who is a 83 overall, but has 67 catches, 1200 yards and 8 TDs. They would take the player who is doing better in the season.

EA could also implement a value bar for a player. Instead of ratings determining how much a team would be willing to trade for a player, it would be his value. If Colt Brennan is having an awesome year with 70% completion, 25 TDs, and only 3 INTs then his value would be high to the Redskins. If they tried to trade him though to a team like the Colts with a superstar QB his value bar would be very low for them, but trading him somewhere with a struggling QB like Oakland might make his value bar go up even more for them than the Redskins and they will likely try and snag him from you. Now, if Campbell is having a great year too, then his value would be high and Colt's would be low to them. I think past seasons should be a part of the value too. If I am having a great year with a player, but his past seasons have shown inconsistencies, then his value shouldn't be as high as someone who has had a good season almost every season."

I think NHL 11 has something similar to this. When trading players their overall doesn't totally determine their value. I thinks its based on stats, age, etc. I could be wrong tho.
NFL HC 09 had something like that

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »