Home

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

This is a discussion on If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an option to hide ratings for franchise?
Yes, I would definitely use it. 228 56.16%
I might try it out, but I don't need it. 71 17.49%
An option wouldn't hurt, but its not for me. 54 13.30%
No, I would not want to see this in Madden. 53 13.05%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #177
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

I like the idea so long as in addition you get the option to test out any player in practice. True, that doesn't happen in the NFL, but it takes the place of having tons of film on every player (something that clearly will never be a part of Madden).
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #178
MVP

OVR: 26

Doesn't having variable ratings through the new features effectively kill this idea?

Just call me Sanchez
Old 06-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #179
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9

We should have a 5 man scouting staff (1 - director of scouting & 4 scouts)!
Each team has a different scouting staff. Each scout has strengths and weakness. The info you get beyond the forty times and bench press differs from other teams.
You can become the 6th scout and get on evaluating talent too.

You Director of scouting will set your board as where players are ranked based on the info your scouts have on each prospect.
Your board will differ from other teams boards.
Some players will be off the board due to character concerns, injuries!

This would give us the ability to take a hands on approach in scouting or let the guys do there job you are playing.

We would have info on all prospects in the draft. No team is without info on every player just like in real life. Players would have a round grade and that's it (along with spd and Bench)

When there on your roster, no overalls! You go on what you see........

Maybe this is beyond the means of this gen and something EA can think about for the next generation.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #180
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

This coupled with a scouting report is a great idea. The report can also be linked to how good the coaches are at talent evaluation.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #181
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23

Have always been for the basic idea of getting away from 0-99 ratings.

I once wrote a long message to a dev with some ideas, In a nutshell it was about getting away from showing the users the 0-99 scale numbers, and giving them descriptions...and raw numbers that will directly relate to ratings.

We get raw numbers from the combine when we scout players.....we know player "x" ran a 4.35, and did 22 reps, jumped 39 inches...for example.

Now those number should directly relate to a rating for the games "under the hood" need for a numeric value.... 4.35= 94 speed
...while also keeping in mind these raw numbers, need to be the same across the board...they have to be set ratings for the raw facts.

Now each position has a basic group of ratings that directly pertain to their positions.. lets take a QB

Throw Power, Throw Acc, Short Acc, Med Acc, Long Acc, Play Action and Throw on Run..... are the main ones when thinking of QB's.

I say they make general descriptions that fall into 3 categories...
Decent- 65-below
Good- 66-83
Great- 84-99

That opens a window of decisions for the user to make, and these are more in line with how we really judge and talk about real football players anyways....

And when you look at the players in the game, you would just be looking at the things that pertain to that player.

For example when I look at my QB's, I really dont want to see every rating category, give me his basic raw skill number values (all players will have this), and then just his position relevant descriptions.

And this was all thought about before the introduction of the Traits and everything being show in M12...but seems like this would be a perfect compliment.......more general descriptions, less rating numbers !!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #182
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

I agree with everyone that says the next thing added needs to be some kind of general scouting evaluation, to replace showing exact numeric ratings. However, until then, an option to hide numeric ratings, would do for now, for some people.

This option really offers something to almost everyone because it can be turned on or off at anytime. So for the people that want more info on incoming rookies because these players don't have enough NFL info, they could turn this option off and ONLY go look at the rookie scouting section. With the scouting stages added this year, you could look at the rookie player data, including numeric ratings, that you are able to unlock without looking at the ratings of your current players since they are on different pages.

There would be countless variation of this that anyone could do since this would be an on/off option. Anytime, anyone wanted to get a base assessment of a players numeric ratings, they could. The main point I am trying to emphasize about this option, when paired with DPP, is that it adds a whole other level to decision making. Even if some people chose to only use this option during the season and turned it off for all the off-season tasks and player assessments, that still sounds like fun. Or vice versa, to add more challenge by only "flying blind" in the off-season while having to deal with those decisions during the season. Or only displaying ratings when looking at in-season free agents, etc.

I know everyone has there own opinion about how they feel about using this option but I think any reasonable person would have to admit this option would add more diversity to player personnel decisions.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #183
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I like the idea so long as in addition you get the option to test out any player in practice. True, that doesn't happen in the NFL, but it takes the place of having tons of film on every player (something that clearly will never be a part of Madden).
You can probably do something like this in Madden 12 with in-season Free agents because Practice Mode has been added to Franchise. If the salary system in Madden 12 allows you to do "no bonus" contracts like Madden 11, you could just sign the FAs you want to practice with to "no bonus" contracts, cut the ones you don't like and renegotiate contracts or not, with those you want to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Doesn't having variable ratings through the new features effectively kill this idea?
How so?

I personally think the variable ratings make this option for hiding them even more necessary because displaying the actual numeric variations nullifies the challenge of or need for, player assessment by the User.

I posted this in another thread; I want to try and make sure I articulate what I am about to state, clearly. An option to hide numeric ratings would greatly increase the risk/reward of "paying attention" to DPP effects. Knowing your starting QB's OVR is exactly -5 versus only knowing he is on a cold streak, is night and day in terms of decision making.

I absolutely love how DPP and Player roles are being explained along with the visual non-numeric and audio indicators. However, continuing to display the exact numeric changes of these features on a player's ratings, decreases the benefit of not knowing exactly how affected players are. If a Bears fan knows for a fact that the 75OVR Cutler, not the 80, 85 or 90OVR, showed up, it makes the decision for what to do a much easier one. Common sense dictates that it is much easier to play a player out of a small bad streak than a larger one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »