Home

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

This is a discussion on If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an option to hide ratings for franchise?
Yes, I would definitely use it. 228 56.16%
I might try it out, but I don't need it. 71 17.49%
An option wouldn't hurt, but its not for me. 54 13.30%
No, I would not want to see this in Madden. 53 13.05%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #65
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

With ratings turned off, the CPU wouldn't go for WR 1 who is 90 overall, but has 20 catches and 10 drops for 165 yards and 0 TD's i
Are you talking about TO? lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #66
Pro

thbends's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoxguy12
I wouldn't go for entirely hiding everything, but I'd like to see 40 yard times, # of bench presses, cone drill times, etc. Seeing stats along with those numbers wouldn't hurt either.
I agree with this. If you hide the ratings then I need ways to evaluate my players. I need to be able to time them in the 40 or in drills. So practice would really matter.

I would NOT want to have to sub guys in to games to see everything about them.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is from another thread i created-

"I felt compelled to post my two cents as this topic of potential can get frustrating.
My suggestion is to have no visible ratings to the player. This would create the realism of uncertainty that the NFL has, you could draft a rookie that you expect nothing out of and one day your starter goes down, you are forced to put your rookie in. He ends up lighting it up. This would create a very realistic aspect. Instead of attributes, Players are given grades of how your team's scout views them. For example established super stars are A+ stars A Great players A- etc. The talent that your scouts have will lead to better or worse players for your team. You will have to judge players based on your scouts opinion nfl stats and college stats, (hell if they wanted to be even more realistic they could include video game 'highlights'), opinions around the league, opions in the media, and fans. But of course with the aspect of realism, scouts and every one else will ultimately miss some players, which could go untouched or turn into legends for your team. For college players scouts will grade players as to what they believe they could turn into. But even though a player is graded to be an A he could turn into an akili smith
Behind the scenes players will have been already rated by the game makers and given skills.
But these skills are just the base as progression depends on how much your players improves statistically from one year to another. Things that can deter progression are injuries, aging or having a bad year.
This system of unknown would create the most challenging and the most deep sports game ever"
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 5

i like a lot of the above post.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #69
Pro

thbends's Arena

You guys do realize player OVR Alls do not mean everything right?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm still confused. Can someone explain to me how hiding ratings makes Madden better / more realistic? All I can think about is that, IRL, ratings are not hidden from coaches or other players, except for maybe rookies. Even with rookies, physical ability ratings are known. What coaches don't know about a rookie is how he would apply those ratings... awareness, technique, coachability.
There are no ratings in real life. Ratings are are based on a players performance and are used to mimic that in the video game. Here's is an example of how hiding ratings would make Madden better, or more realistic: let's say a team picks up a productive corner, but the system this corner played in required him to play zone coverage a majority of the time. Assuming that he hasn't played on a team that required him to play a ton of man coverage, if you're going to ask him to do that, how would you know that he would be cut out for it ? The answer is you wouldn't ? He may be able to thrive on a defense that plays a lot of man, or he may get undressed. Hiding ratings would open up many situations like this. There's no way for a coaching staff, whose defense plays a lot of man, to anticipate how this particular player will pan out.

Quote:
I think someone also mentioned potential being hidden. Again, why? Potential is always known. What we don't know is if a player will reach his potential. Remember, potential is largely based on physical attributes... size, speed, strength, ect. A bigger, stronger, faster, more elusive RB has more potential. The only question is will he maximize these attributes.

I think folks are mistaking ratings with improvement/regression. And in the case of potential, mistaking fulfilling/exceding it.
Potential is not always known. The draft is based on what scouts and coaches think a player's potential is. If potential was always known, Brady would've been picked number one overall, not in the sixth round. Joe Montana would have been picked early in the first round, not in the mid rounds. Farve would have been a first round draft pick and, more than likely, would have played a lot longer in Atlanta than he did.

Also, RB is probably the easiest position to project in the NFL. If a player has speed, agility and good vision, more than likely, he'll be effective in the NFL. The evaluation process isn't that easy regarding other positions.

Quote:
Seriously, can someone give me a real life example of not knowing a player's ratings? Pick a player and tell us what we don't know about him and how that would apply to this hidden ratings option.
Kevin Kolb, he performed well against the Saints, who aren't really known for their defense, and the Chiefs who are terrible. How is his awareness ? We haven't seen him against a stellar defense, or a division opponent who will see him twice a year. How is his arm strength ? Will the Eagles stretch the defense without McNabb's cannon ? How is his toughness, does he get rattled easily ? We won't know any of this until he plays more games. The way Madden's ratings are shown, we'd know everything beforehand.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #71
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Scouts, teams have a pretty good idea about the tangibles, but what about the intangibles? You don't know how well a college player will pick up the pro game. Some of these (actual) ratings, like awareness, run/pass block, play recognition, etc should be hidden. Scouts, coaches, GM's have some idea, but it's not an exact science. So we should really get a perceived rating value from the scouts, GM, coaches on that college player. There needs to be something other than raw physical numbers to go by when drafting. In real life, your GM, and scouts have a perception of each college players intangibles. They have 4 years of game film. And yet, many times there perception of a player is way off/bust. That's why actual ratings should be hidden, except for the raw physical attributes.

You want a real live example: In real life, what's Tebow's accuracy going to be?
I get it for rookies. I thought I said that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
I get it for rookies. I thought I said that.

Sorry dude.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »