Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

With all due respect, anything EA says should be taken with a grain of salt. Until they deliver, they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt given their track record. The reason so many people were disappointed this year about the Franchise mode is because of what EA said last year that set expectations. Until they ante up, it's white noise IMHO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Just from the tone of the answers, I wouldn't be too hopeful for Real Time Physics. From what ian laid out it sounds like it would be a huge learning curve for them. I definitely don't see that leap being made in Madden 12.

And about franchise mode and people not making it pass 2 years. I'm not sure how much this may have to do with it, but it's always irked me that coaches retire after 3 Super Bowl wins -- and Belichick always disappears after the first season. I know that only Chuck Noll has won 4, but that should be tweaked. I completed 3 seasons with the Falcons and knowing that it was the last go-round for Mike Smith, that third trip to the playoffs gave things a sense of finality that I think worked on my subconscious.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #27
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

It'd be pretty taxing I think to bring what Madden already offers to the table and then add in processing real time physics on top of that, to a game that has already been doing what it can to get the most of the platforms for a couple of iterations now.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it attempted (and done properly, Backbreaker was a swing and a miss), but I am not expecting it until the next console generation.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #28
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9
Just read the Franchise mode wishlist's!!!! Add a deep and spot on franchise mode with big time presentation (cut-scenes and TV style broadcast presentation for games and draft). You'll see Madden ratings climb.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #29
Rookie

thesteamontheboat's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
Huh? there is already a football game out with realtime physics, multiple hit real time tackles etc.
And still has canned animations and most of the time in one instance you only see like 6 players at the most on the screen at the same time madden all 22 can be in a frame moving.

Why you think backbreaker chose that "We going to put you right in the action approach" which makes no sense seeing that we cant see whats coming from different angles.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #30
Rookie

thesteamontheboat's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniphobe
How hard would it be to use the real time physics engine in NHL 11 in Madden 12? Doesn't really seem like it'd be that difficult to implement a physics engine like NHL did seeing how they both used animation systems about the same.
I would guess it be extremely hard seeing that EA Sports didn't try this out with there most successful game they have on the market and chose to come out with it with NHL and a dying basketball franchise. What Ian is saying is clear he would love to have it if it works but he doubts it will for 22 moving parts not to mention refs and possibly chain gang.

Hence the reason backbreaker doesnt have either of those plus only has like 7 players at the most on screen at once during a play because that is very possible to pull off instead of being in "god view" with all 22 like Madden.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 5

i seriously doubt 10+% of the people, who played madden last year, played more than 32 games of online co-op
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 1

I am sorry but I dont think real time physics works correctly in Backbreaker. The running backs fold like paper machete. Furthermore, players fall like trees when they are touched at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »