Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #33
Rookie

ThisIsReality's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Man, if they do add real-time physics for Madden they better do it for NCAA too at the same year.
I've been hating this leap frog of improvements every year for these two franchises.

Also, why the hell would you take out rocket catching for NCAA but not Madden?!

Last edited by ThisIsReality; 07-10-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #34
Rookie

steelernation28's Arena

OVR: 21
Well I hope franchise mode was at least tuned up for '11. I'm mean was anything done?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
My vibe from that interview is that Ian doesn't believe a real time physics engine is possible on this gen of consoles.
Which leads me to believe he's just using that as an excuse because he is ignoring the game that did do it on this generation of consoles. It's not perfect, but it was done fairly well for the company's first football game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
in terms of rtp this is sad. i really am a huge believer in ian cummings but his tone about rtp can be taken 2 ways:
1. negative : ian truly doesnt think rtp is possible and or worth it this generation,
2. positive : ian however did say that ea has looked into it and is playing very close attention to ea games that already have rtp. and also imo i think he really doesnt want to or cant (embargo) go into too much detail about madden nfl and the inclusion of rtp. his answer really wasn't too clear. so we'll have to see.

i personally hope rtp is included in some form for madden 12 or 13.
As for #1, I would think it's more likely that he doesn't think it's worth it. How in the world can you say it's not possible when it has been done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
Doing a physics based game is one thing. Doing a physics based game right is another thing. It needs all those other elements and the physics engine in order to be a complete game. They also should of made the players look more human. It is really hard to judge how great the physics are done in a game where the players look like some futuristic half human half robot creature.
I was not as impressed as others may of been but I am all for the concept just not how that game showed it off. Just my opinions.
How is it hard to judge the physics based on how the player models look?

I agree with you that a football game needs all the elements, not just a great physics engine, but the discussion wasn't about whether BB was a complete game or not. It was just that it had a great physics engine, which it does (aside from the players falling too easily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteamontheboat
And still has canned animations and most of the time in one instance you only see like 6 players at the most on the screen at the same time madden all 22 can be in a frame moving.

Why you think backbreaker chose that "We going to put you right in the action approach" which makes no sense seeing that we cant see whats coming from different angles. What Ian is saying is clear he would love to have it if it works but he doubts it will for 22 moving parts not to mention refs and possibly chain gang.

Hence the reason backbreaker doesnt have either of those plus only has like 7 players at the most on screen at once during a play because that is very possible to pull off instead of being in "god view" with all 22 like Madden.
The camera angle has nothing to do with the physics engine. Where did that idea even come from? The physics engine in Backbreaker is applied to every player on the field regardless of whether they're on screen or not. The camera view was a design choice, aimed at making you feel like a player on the field. A real football player is never able to see all angles like you would in a "god view".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #36
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Tdogg09, I was talking about why it might not be doable on the current consoles. Having the whole physics package plus all the goodies that madden already has. Nobody knows if that would work because it has not been done.
The reason I was saying about the players looking more human is because the physics effects on a human would not be the exact same if they used something else like marshmallow men, or their furturistic half human half robot looking creatures.
Point being that in order to see the best representation of the physics engine the football players need to look like actual football players.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
Tdogg09, I was talking about why it might not be doable on the current consoles. Having the whole physics package plus all the goodies that madden already has. Nobody knows if that would work because it has not been done.
The reason I was saying about the players looking more human is because the physics effects on a human would not be the exact same if they used something else like marshmallow men, or their furturistic half human half robot looking creatures.
Point being that in order to see the best representation of the physics engine the football players need to look like actual football players.
I have no idea why you think the players in Backbreaker are humanoids.They look like humans with visors and a little exta padding in the chest and shoulders.

What scared me more was some of the player faces in Madden '10 on cutscenes.

Last edited by gr18; 07-10-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #38
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Some of you guys need to stop bringing up the other game. Just giving a heads up is all. Now as for OF not being updated. I read that from a blog a while back on the EA website. I don't mind if there is no update but they do need to fix the player progression bug.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #39
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

from that peice all i got was, they will still buy it we dont have to be the market leader in anything new or innovative....

madden will still be entertaining, but its not like other games where i am hype about something new it has to offer........

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #40
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
KEY POINTS

• Madden takes an official stance on "rocket catching," and advises players to learn how to defend it (ie: it's not going anywhere, despite early concerns). This is a big topic in the Madden community.

• Whether or not future Madden games use EA's Live Broadcast technology, will depend on how well it is received, and how often it is used in games like EA MMA.

• Staggering stats back up why Madden NFL has taken a more long-term approach toward franchise and superstar mode this season.

• Ian Cummings believes most "folks" would consider a first-person camera a gimmick, however they are of course mulling over the possibility in the future pending whether or not they can work out some issues a first-person camera system brings.

• Madden 11's Madden Ultimate Team card game mode will likely be expanded further at some point in the season, although details as to what that means are slim. Signals are that gamers will get even more out of Madden Ultimate Team later on than simply what is packaged in the release.

• A rather PC response to discussion of real-time physics, however it is still the first time (that I am aware of) that Ian has openly talked about its possible inclusion in future Madden games.
I haven't played online and thus had to deal with the rocket catch, but when you read so many people complaining about it, and NCAA takes a stand as it's an exploit, then why in the world is Madden leaving it in the game? I know that Max Passing could be a big problem in APF2K8 because people figured out ways to abuse it such that the AI couldn't respond properly, which sounds like what's going on in Madden right now with rocket catching. If it's something exploiting the AI, then it's not going to be something a player can defend against as they can't play every DB position manually.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »