Home

Petition for Default Online Game Speed Set to "Normal"

This is a discussion on Petition for Default Online Game Speed Set to "Normal" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What should the default game speed be?
Very Slow 2 2.27%
Slow 35 39.77%
Normal 45 51.14%
Fast 4 4.55%
Very Fast 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #25
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Petition for Default Online Game Speed Set to "Normal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron2k7
This is one area of customization, that I don't care for.

They didn't need to give us a choice imo.

Why can't they just make the game play at real-life simulated speed and be done with it....?

When I play a great Racing sim like Forza 3 ...... I can feel the difference in almost every single car I drive in the game.... and thank God it does.

I don't want to be driving 140 mph into a corner, and have some game setting make it feel like a simulated 100 mph... just so I can handle it.

The NFL is a fast paced, quick desicion league. Why so many of you want to play on a slower than real-life speed is questionable to me.

What do many college kids say is the first thing they have to get used to when coming to the NFL..... ???? ...... They usually say..... "the speed of the game." (especially QB's)

I seriously just wish the game had one general speed setting that was as close to real as possible, and be done with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Speed threshold setting was, and or is, another waste of time. Just keep it real and stop with all the extra gimmicks to make it sound like we have so much customization.

The only thing game speed customization, and speed threshold do is allow for a player to further customize the game from reality...... IMO, that's going completely in the wrong direction.
In theory, a speed slider is a good thing. Pro players are pros because they can react at those speeds...most regular folk can't. Imagine playing MLB The Show when the ball moves like an actual 97 MPH fastball would...before your thumb could hit "swing," it'd be in the catcher's mitt. That's ultra-realistic, but it doesn't necessarily translate to a fun game of baseball...same could be said for football. In real life, a quarterback with a GREAT offensive line usually has, what, 3 seconds in the pocket? Imagine playing Madden where EVERY play you have to make a decision in 3 seconds...it'd be frustratingly hard for MANY players (not all)...that's why I think customization in this regard is great...you allow people who don't have the reflexes and awareness to play the game, while those who want a more realistic experience can do so...As far as online where those two have to meet, do that...meet in the middle (ie normal).

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Have to agree with this post! As I stated earlier I think this is the year we can finally speed the game back up now that they fixed locomotion and run blocking. Even Pastapadre who generally loves Madden really blasted the E3 game for saying it was way to slow and boring.
Pastapadre is the same moron who clamored for them to switch the online default speed from normal to slow on madden 10. alot of ppl even thought he was a major contributing force for having the change happen in the first place. now he wants it up to normal now and blast the game as slow and boring?? wow what a flip flopping douche. F U Pastapadre...u EA nuthugging douche

ahhhh...now i feel better! anyway, yea i think it should be normal. i mean normal does kinda say that its the standard. they shouldnt alienate half of their customer base again cuz multiple polls showed it was split down the middle. they need to just go ahead and make seperate lobbies for both speeds....EAST SLOW SPD, EAST NORMAL SPD, etc. theyre already doing it for gameflow or no gameflow, so we know its possible. but knowing the bumbling fools at EA, they cant think of this easy fix and continue to piss off and turn away half of its customer base who want to play online just like last year.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These kind of posts will not be tolerated at OS.He's now banned. If you haven't read the new TOS I suggest you do so before you make another post.
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Truthfully, I think that they can play the game, and determine at which speed the AI is best, the balance is best, and the animations look the best, etc...

That should be called "Normal." Regardless of how it relates to "real life"...for me this is a video game, and the video game's job is to be fun. Realistic, but fun. I remember last year Ian made a comment that Microsoft's Flight Simulator got so realistic that it was no longer fun, and it killed the series.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #29
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Some of you are over-analyzing this.

Speed doesn't have to = difficulty.

If you want to play this game more just for fun.... then play on easier difficulty settings.

Having only 3 sec. to get rid of the ball is realistic..... but if you need more time, then adjusting sliders, or just playing on Pro, or maybe even All Pro, will give you more time. There is no need to twist general reality to make things "appear" easier.

My main opinion...... if we're playing a slowed down version of football.... then we're not really playing an NFL sim football game. We are actually playing a middle school or maybe high school football game, with Pro players on the field.

Like I said in my earlier post..... The customization that we have in the speed and threshold departments, only take the game further away from being sim.

Speed at anything other than realistic is taking away from a sim experience.

Speed Threshold setting at anything other than 50 (I think that's where normal is) is also just taking away from a sim experience.

I hate to bring up Forza 3 again.... but it helps prove the point.

When playing a racing SIM like Forza, the speed of the game, or the cars doesn't change. If its too hard for someone they can customize game settings, like AI skill, driver assists (like Auto Braking, Traction control, Stability control, etc. etc.) or even just simply choosing Automatic or manual transmission makes the difficulty of the game change drastically.

Madden should be the same way. Keep it real on the fundamentals of the game, just give people enough variance in difficulties to make the game playable, (and fun) for everyone.

Last edited by Megatron2k7; 07-14-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These kind of posts will not be tolerated at OS.He's now banned. If you haven't read the new TOS I suggest you do so before you make another post.
Permabanned?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

36 votes in favor of faster game speed.

24 votes in favor of speed staying slow.

They should make a 1 question poll pop up in-game asking what speed you would prefer. maybe that would influence some change..

Last edited by kd25; 07-17-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 1

I cant believe how slow madden is in the new demo. Especially when the back breaks down the sideline. Why do people believe that NFL is slower than college? NCAA is not set to slow online. Why is madden? Stop catering to casuals to get more sells. If the game moves to fast for them then they just need to practice. How much money is enough EA? Instead of making 50 million bucks in sells, EA wants 60 million. And while attempting to make the extra 10 mil, stupid stuff gets into the game to appeal to the casuals for more sells. Stop worrying about people not being able to make their reads fast enough because by the time coverage is read they are sacked. Thats just the way it is. Even if you make the game slower, those ppl are lacking so much football knoweledge that they are going to suck anyways. And they will not play online for long. So ask yourself what has actually happened by slowing down the game? The people that are actually playing have to suffer thru an unrealistic slow speed, and those ppl you were trying to appeal to arent even playing the game online anymore. Some mistakes happen in football bc of the speed of the game. So why listen to ppl that are crying bc they say the game is moving to fast. If they cant see my cb in great position on the slant and throw the ball anyways instead of quickly going to the next read, then they need to adjust to the game. The game shouldnt adjust to them. The nfl does not slow itself down at the beginning of the season so that the rookies can adjust. The rookies adjust to the speed of the game. Get some sense EA!! Its not hard

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »