Home

Ranking the Most Important Defensive Positions in Madden

This is a discussion on Ranking the Most Important Defensive Positions in Madden within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
NHL 21 Realistic Sliders and Settings (Part One)
Madden 21 Next-Gen Breakdown and Chat - The Franchise Mode
NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Review - Setting the Standard On a New Console Once Again
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Ranking the Most Important Defensive Positions in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrodgers012
IMO the 3-4 and 4-3 positions are the same in madden so Ill just rank them together.

1: CB; A position thats difficult to user because of the camera angles. This position has to have it all. Coverage helps buy your rush time, press helps buy the rush time and messes up players timing, they help in run support for tosses and stretches, they can rush the passer, and they are the main way to get turnovers.

2: MLB; Covers the middle of the field. This should really be your sideline to sideline defender. IMO usering the MLB can take away the entire middle of the field and all the running lanes. In the 3-4 I love to have 2 fast MLBs with good coverage in case I want to user a safety instead.

3: FS; Most people pass more than they run the ball which is why FS take priority over SS and OLB. The FS is the deep coverage and the last line of defense. Theyre also big for turnovers. The FS is really the jack of all trades position so its important to find one than can do it all but coverage, speed, and tackling should be the main focus. The ultimate user FS is Laron Landy.

4: OLB; Its important to have OLBs because they shut down run and sidelines and can also help close off runs to the inside. They help rush the passer in either scheme. Its also better to play 3-4 OLBs as DEs. Wimbley and Harlyson are perfect examples. Others are Orakpo, Sintim, Scott, etc...

5: SS; The SS is another jack of all trades. IMO this position should be fast even though its hard to find. I like putting a FS here for the extra pass protection. This position plays closer to the LOS than the other safety and often plays a blue zone or yellow zone. I like usering this position because of where its located. Like the MLB it can take away the entire center of the field but can also drop back further than MLB and is often faster.

6: DT; The DT helps shut down runs inside and will help keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket. They wont get many sacks but your DEs are worthless without a DT keeping the QB from stepping up and running around in the pocket.

7: DE; This is how you get your sacks in a 4-3 and get pressure in a 3-4 without sending a blitz. IMO the DEs dont have to get sacks as much as collapse the pocket.

I usually play man coverage and blitz a lot so my ideal defense would look something like this.

LE: K Wimbley/ P Harylson
RE: T Scott/ C Sintim
DT: B Raji/ J Jones
LOLB: T Davis/ K Rivers
MLB: J Vilma/ J Mayo
MLB: J Durant/ AJ Hawk
ROLB: T Howard/ C Matthews
CB: D Revis/ N Asmougha/ A Samuel (Whichever I can get first)
CB: M Jenkins/ T Porter
FS: L Landry (User)/ R Nelson
SS: L Delmas/ M Mitchel (User)
I love that you put Thomas Howard on this list. He is one of the better cover linebackers in the league.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #18
Rookie

Rock Chalk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrodgers012

LE: K Wimbley/ P Harylson
RE: T Scott/ C Sintim
DT: B Raji/ J Jones
LOLB: T Davis/ K Rivers
MLB: J Vilma/ J Mayo
MLB: J Durant/ AJ Hawk
ROLB: T Howard/ C Matthews
CB: D Revis/ N Asmougha/ A Samuel (Whichever I can get first)
CB: M Jenkins/ T Porter
FS: L Landry (User)/ R Nelson
SS: L Delmas/ M Mitchel (User)
Kamerion went to a high school right down the road, had the pleasure of watching him turn pro, great pick. Vilma, I've liked since he got into the NFL and knew he would be an impact player eventually and you can't go wrong with Revis or Asmougha. Although Hawk has been playin well last couple of years, still not a Pro Bowl MLB.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
SOCCER:
- EPL: Arsenal
- La Liga: Barcelona
- Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
- Serie A: Inter Milan
GOLF: Dustin Johnson & Rory
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #19
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

I'll take a dominant defensive line over another group on the D any day. If you have a D-Line that stuffs the run and constantly puts pressure on the QB the offense can't do anything.

It starts and ends in the trenches.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
I'll take a dominant defensive line over another group on the D any day. If you have a D-Line that stuffs the run and constantly puts pressure on the QB the offense can't do anything.

It starts and ends in the trenches.
In real football, it does indeed all start in the trenches.

In Madden... the trenches are rather irrelevant. Especially defensively, and especially if you run any non-4-3 defense
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 5

Cornerback and safety. In Madden LBs and Dline are pretty much there just to suck up blocks.

With a good secondary you can run man all day long and never get beat. Using the raiders last year I went 124-13 online running one defensive play. 4-6 cover 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 55

3-4
1. OLB
2. NG
3. Safety

4-3
1. DE
2. MLB
3. I don't know

I'm a believer that if you can get to the QB and stop the run, it makes pass D a heck of a lot easier.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 21

I like the idea of this list, but there's certain players that are game changers. I use Ed Reed in my franchise at FS and he seems to get a pick almost every game. He also lays huge hits on receivers over the middle making them drop the ball before securing it.

I wouldn't rank Safety at the no. 1 position, but I'd put Ed Reed as the most important player on my team...

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

In Madden, the most important defensive position is the one that you are best at usering.

Everything revolves around your user ability.

As far as whats most important from a AI standpoint, in Madden, its all about the DBs and LBs.

When was the last time you were ever worried about an AI controlled Defensive Lineman?

4-3

CB
Strong Safety
Free Safety
MLB
OLB

3-4

OLB
Strong Safety
Free Safety
Corner
ILB

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 07-19-2010 at 08:42 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »