Home

Grass textures

This is a discussion on Grass textures within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Pro

rdawsoniii's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Grass textures

If the Box has any hardware advantages over the Cube, it's only in the infinite storage capacity over memory cards. The Cube is just as good as(IMHO much much better than) the Box. I can understand why EA hates the Box. I hate it, too.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

rdawsoniii said:
If the Box has any hardware advantages over the Cube, it's only in the infinite storage capacity over memory cards. The Cube is just as good as(IMHO much much better than) the Box. I can understand why EA hates the Box. I hate it, too.

How you figure? Xbox has a 700MHz cpu vs the Gamecube's, what, 400MHz cpu??? Xbox has more memory, and like you said more storage capacity. And at the time each console was released, I think Xbox/nVidia's GeForce 3 cards were [arguably] more powerful than the the ATI card currently in the GC... I may be wrong, but as far as I know (or thought), GC was just a notch above PS2 in power...
Old 07-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

You can't judge a processor on just clock speed. The XBOX uses a Pentium which is made for productivity applications as well as gaming. A chip made purely for console gaming will outperform a PC Cpu anyday. Thats why you need like a 2 GHZ PC to run Madden these days.

But back to the subject, the grass textures on even a PS2 look better than the XBOX. But thats just something with EA...they just don't support the Box like they should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think the Xbox's ability to make things look so smooth hurts it sometimes on things that suppose to look rough (like grass)
Old 07-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #13
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

margan said:
You can't judge a processor on just clock speed. The XBOX uses a Pentium which is made for productivity applications as well as gaming. A chip made purely for console gaming will outperform a PC Cpu anyday. Thats why you need like a 2 GHZ PC to run Madden these days.

But back to the subject, the grass textures on even a PS2 look better than the XBOX. But thats just something with EA...they just don't support the Box like they should.

Well I suppose so...but I'm with the others who just say EA isn't optimizing things on the Xbox. Just look at what Sega does -- last year when 2k3 was on all 3 systems, the Xbox version was clearly the best, above the GC version... I dunno, I've never played the GC (and don't really care to), so I can't really judge...

EA is just screwing us (Xbox gamers), just like with the whole NO ONLINE GAMING fiasco
Old 07-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

I had Madden 2003 for the cube last year and I played 2003 for xbox couple weeks ago, adn I gotta say, the Xbox version is much smoother, only difference is the grass textures.

The helmet -shiny thing on the xbox is alot better then the cube one, When there are cutscenes going on, the focus is in the one player they are showing and the background is all blurry.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Yea, I noticed this im NCAA too. But it's weird, because for the Xbox version, the NCAA 2003 grass textures looked much better than this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #16
All Star

OVR: 17

Anyone play Halo? Remember those grass textures as you looked down? Someone go mow that grass and send it EA & Sega so they can get an idea it can be done.

The Gamecube version does have the best looking grass up close (NCAA 2004 was a perfect example) but as all the review sites have mentioned Xbox has the best draw distance of the three and overall best graphics. Why they can't make grass look like grass is beyond me? Fever did a pretty good job of it and if you played NFL Blitz 2003 it was probably the best in field textures of the group.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »