Home

if madden is always better than ncaa, then we are in for a surprise:)

This is a discussion on if madden is always better than ncaa, then we are in for a surprise:) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #57
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: if madden is always better than ncaa, then we are in for a surprise:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Sounds like you're seeing the swatted balls as well by the DLine/LBs. Do this Adem, go play a game of NCAA, and do a drag route with a WR. When the player is over the middle throw the ball. Try to do an average throw. Not a burner, and not a lob. Watch what happens.

Test it out, and then see if you see what I see (will record this if necessary):
Spoiler
I'm aware of the issue. There's a couple of problems, but correcting the arc wont fix them. As Only1LT pointed out, the passes tend to be either rifle shots or moon balls. There's very little in-between. If a QB were to throw a high velocity pass to a receiver's midsection only 10 yards from him, it would indeed be released at a downward angle. Nothing wrong with the angle... where the QB is aiming and the lack of touch are the problem. The ball should be 12 inches in front of the receiver, neck to pec.

Ok, I just realized this is becoming a semantic argument. We're both complaining about the aim point and velocity, you're just talking about the physics of the pass while I'm talking about the method of the QB. The results are the same. What I'm getting at is correcting the physics of a thrown ball will not correct the tipped ball problem, because the aim point and velocity will remain the same, and the defenders will still reach the ball too easily.

The reason I lean toward correcting the defender reaction issue first is that these are college QBs, and touch is hard to come by at that level. They always seem to want to throw it through a brick wall.

[Edit] I am by no means advocating not fixing the arc of the pass. It annoys the hell out of me that a pass or kick comes down at the opposite angle as it leaves. Total disregard for physics, and makes deep passing and field goals difficult to make realistic. Remember those beautiful bombs Jeff Blake (say what you will, the man threw the most beautiful fly route I've ever seen) used to throw to Carl Pickens? Can't happen in Madden.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-20-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #58
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Theres 2 key areas, in the passing game, I will be looking at when I play Madden, and expecting to be better from NCAA 11.

1) DBs, LBs, even DTs, jumping out their ability(jump rating doesn't justify certain players making that type of play) to swat or intercept passes. I want this to be toned down to play according to those ratings, or just altogether.

2)
Defensive players covering the field from mid-long ranging areas of the field. And what I mean by this is, when a defense is locked up in man, or even zone, coverage and I throw to an underneath route, I dont want to see a defensive back playing a deep man/zone bailing on that assignment and consequently covering 10-20 yards in just a few seconds to break up a play. I dont want to see "psychic" defenders with their backs turned to the play reacting as soon as I throw the ball. It ruins the ability to read defenses, and make decisions.

But the issues I highlighted were maybe the most irritating parts of M10, for me. And are must-have fixes to enjoy the game.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #59
Strategy

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by celg35
After playing Ncaa11, i have to say this is the best football game i have ever played. With that being said , it seems every year Madden outshines Ncaa. The new lighting in ncaa is fantastic. It is almost life-like at times. The new locomotion has done wonders to the gameplay. with all the improvements in Ncaa, it makes me more excited because madden has always been a step ahead. I know madden has new lighting and locomotion and they always seem to produce a better( polished ) game than Ncaa. With this being said I have more anticipation of a Madden game than ever before.

I know some people are upset about the franchise aspect of the game, but gameplay wise (and with the right slider settings) Madden 11 might live up to what everyone is hoping for.
Personally, I hope your right. Also, I agree that Madden tends to make a better game, overall, to me. But I still love NCAA Football.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #60
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'm aware of the issue. There's a couple of problems, but correcting the arc wont fix them. As Only1LT pointed out, the passes tend to be either rifle shots or moon balls. There's very little in-between. If a QB were to throw a high velocity pass to a receiver's midsection only 10 yards from him, it would indeed be released at a downward angle. Nothing wrong with the angle... where the QB is aiming and the lack of touch are the problem. The ball should be 12 inches in front of the receiver, neck to pec.

Ok, I just realized this is becoming a semantic argument. We're both complaining about the aim point and velocity, you're just talking about the physics of the pass while I'm talking about the method of the QB. The results are the same. What I'm getting at is correcting the physics of a thrown ball will not correct the tipped ball problem, because the aim point and velocity will remain the same, and the defenders will still reach the ball too easily.

The reason I lean toward correcting the defender reaction issue first is that these are college QBs, and touch is hard to come by at that level. They always seem to want to throw it through a brick wall.

[Edit] I am by no means advocating not fixing the arc of the pass. It annoys the hell out of me that a pass or kick comes down at the opposite angle as it leaves. Total disregard for physics, and makes deep passing and field goals difficult to make realistic. Remember those beautiful bombs Jeff Blake (say what you will, the man threw the most beautiful fly route I've ever seen) used to throw to Carl Pickens? Can't happen in Madden.
To clarify, when I say ball arc, I'm referring to the fact that it's too low in general (which is true most of the time), and the fact that we don't have adequate control over it. I usually refer to the latter as touch passing, but the two are intertwined from an overall successful passing standpoint. The low straight line passes should only be seen on fired bullet passes, and even then it should still be higher than what we see in the game.

The point the ball is thrown to, that's a hole 'nother bag of worms. In Madden you rarely hit a player in stride. The receiver pretty much reacts to where the ball goes based on that random circle they draw around the player.

Last edited by Valdarez; 07-21-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #61
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
To clarify, when I say ball arc, I'm referring to the fact that it's too low in general (which is true most of the time), and the fact that we don't have adequate control over it.
I just spent some time in practice mode (mostly messing with the pass blocking slider... which works quite well, I might add!) and I payed attention to the way the ball was arcing.

I was wrong, they actually have done something with the ball arc this year. While you're right, too low, not enough control, I was wrong. It doesn't come down at the opposite angle it did before. in fact, it really isn't that bad... but it's still way too fast, and that's been a problem in NCAA forever (Madden just corrected it last year).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #62
Rookie

demon19000's Arena

OVR: 3

It would be cool if the gameplay was as good. I'm loving the defensive gameplay, and hope it's in madden. I used to always be able to get by calling cover 3 or cover 2 all day, but not anymore, I actually have to mix up zones/blitzes to stop good offenses this year. If Madden has a system like this, then we are in for a surprise.
!
--------------------------------------
PSN: demon19000
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 9

I was kinda shocked how well the game plays on Varsity.. I have played 20 games or so on it and haven't seen much of this stuff happen at all on NCAA.. I will agree that the running game can be stupid at times, but nothing a patch can't fix.

With Madden, Since I play with my friends and online for the most part. The lack of a Franchise mode isn't a deal breaker since they haven't had one in years anyhow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »