Home

Shouldn't punters be holders?

This is a discussion on Shouldn't punters be holders? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Shouldn't punters be holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
We should be able to sub in any player into any formation or into any part of the depth chart. If I want my backup linebacker as my holder, why can't I do this? If I want my backup QB to play some wide receiver for me, why can't I do this? (a la Seneca Wallace back in Seattle)
I think it was because of balance issues. Subbing WRs and CBs at runningback was problematic before (Who remembers the Champ Bailey at HB exploit?).

I know it's not what you want but you can actually convert Seneca Wallace to a WR if you wanted to by editing him in your franchise (I'm not sure what his catch rating is though). I found that converting Josh Cribbs into a HB and Mike Furrey back into a WR resulted in a nice boost to both players (Cribbs became the Brown's best RB and Furrey the best WR).

The problem obviously is that he won't be able to play QB unless you edit him back when you're not playing a game. You could use a wildcat formation though... Some of them allow for QB2 under center and QB1 at WR (in this case, you'd have to swap Hasselbeck and Wallace in the depth chart).
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

you should be able to put a player at any position, thats really finding the STRs of the team.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
I believe Matt Flynn is the Packers holder. Or he was. I'm not really sure. Either way, QB's do hold for some teams.
He is.

I remember when Ricky Proehl(I think it was Proehl anyway) was a holder for the Rams lol. There probably shouldn't be a position restriction for holders in Madden.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #20
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I think it was because of balance issues. Subbing WRs and CBs at runningback was problematic before (Who remembers the Champ Bailey at HB exploit?).
It may have exploited Madden but I do find it funny he has a rushing TD in real life.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 7

My question is: shouldn't punters be the obvious choice to kick field goals if the kicker ever gets hurt in the middle of a game? I've never seen a punter kick a field goal but I've seen Chad Johnson do it. Doesn't make much sense.

Or I'm an idiot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Add my vote for formation subs (in the pause menu), including special teams & correct holders.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah

I know it's not what you want but you can actually convert Seneca Wallace to a WR if you wanted to by editing him in your franchise (I'm not sure what his catch rating is though). I found that converting Josh Cribbs into a HB and Mike Furrey back into a WR resulted in a nice boost to both players (Cribbs became the Brown's best RB and Furrey the best WR).

The problem obviously is that he won't be able to play QB unless you edit him back when you're not playing a game. You could use a wildcat formation though... Some of them allow for QB2 under center and QB1 at WR (in this case, you'd have to swap Hasselbeck and Wallace in the depth chart).
I was just using Seneca Wallace as an example. My problem is that you are already able to sub in some players into different positions (CB to WR for example) but you can't do it with all players. LBs should be able to play TE, FSs should be able to play kicker. Why not? Sure some people could exploit it, but if you're worried about it being broken in online play, disable the feature for online play! In offline play, you can edit every player's stats to 99 anyways, so who cares if someone wants to exploit player substitutions?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
I was just using Seneca Wallace as an example. My problem is that you are already able to sub in some players into different positions (CB to WR for example) but you can't do it with all players. LBs should be able to play TE, FSs should be able to play kicker. Why not? Sure some people could exploit it, but if you're worried about it being broken in online play, disable the feature for online play! In offline play, you can edit every player's stats to 99 anyways, so who cares if someone wants to exploit player substitutions?
Especially after it's been done in the NFL. We've seen LBs play TE, o-linemen play RB & TE, d-linemen play RB & TE, ect.

And if the ratings worked correctly, we wouldn't have to worry about exploits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »