Home

What exactly is wrong with franchise?

This is a discussion on What exactly is wrong with franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 51
Re: What exactly is wrong with franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsons_Creek
I can't believe this is the 6th Madden on XBOX 360 and franchise mode is still a joke. If 2k was around (which I'm not a fan of) Madden franchise mode would be awesome I bet, EA is lazy, I just accepted that and I just play the game with my friends and just have fun.
lol mabey fans like you dont consider some things here. If 2k had an exclusive liecence it would be as bad as madden is now. Ea is not just lazy. lol statements like that are the reason we have all these new enforcements on this site.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastsofboston
lol mabey fans like you dont consider some things here. If 2k had an exclusive liecence it would be as bad as madden is now. Ea is not just lazy. lol statements like that are the reason we have all these new enforcements on this site.
I don't agree. Ortiz didn't work at 2k. My point is there were alot of mistakes made after the exclusive agreement by EA that had nothing to do with it. People seem to miss that the exclusive agreement has been a disaster for EA.
Madden05 sales: Ps2 4.5m, Xbox 1.5m
Nfl 2k5 sales: Ps2 2m, Xbox 1.5m
Total: 9.5m
Madden10 sales: Ps3 2m, Xbox 360 2.5m
I promise you this is not what EA had envisioned when they paid $400m.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
NCAA 98 was the first game with a dynasty/franchise mode. Madden's came a year later.

Anyway, I agree with Countryboy. I'm looking forward to Madden 11, and Franchise mode is where I'll spend most of my time. It won't ruin the game for me that Franchise mode is the same, but it is disappointing.

I think what's frustrating isn't just that the mode has pretty much been unchanged since its inception, but you look down the hall at NCAA and see how much it's Dynasty mode has improved over the years. And a lot of the things we'd like to see in Madden are already in NCAA.

I'd really like to create myself as a coach and have the game track my coaching career like NCAA does. Give me the ability to create my own playbook, get fired, resign to take another job, etc., like NCAA allows.

And then with rosters, we've had the same 55-man roster for years now. Give us a true IR, practice squad, 53-man rosters with 45-man active rosters on game day. I'm sure it's difficult to code, but MLB is a lot more complicated, IMHO, and The Show nails it.

MADDEN
Quote:
Franchise Mode

In 1997, inspired by the franchise-management game Baseball Mogul, Electronic Arts added Franchise Mode to Madden, giving players the ability to play multiple seasons, make off-season draft picks, and trade players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL#Franchise_Mode

Quote:
NCAA Football 98
This was the first installment of the franchise known as "NCAA Football". The game featured University of Florida quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel on the cover.
This was the first game in the series to feature a multi-season Dynasty Mode, allowing players to take control of a team for four seasons and recruit players to fill out roster vacancies at the completion of each season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Fo...AA_Football_98
Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsLions
Actually, it's gone backwards. That's where my frustration comes from. They used to have training camp. They used to have organized rookie scouting. They used to have the scouting combine. They used to have a trade system that made sense. They used to have a free agency system that allowed you to sign a player for under $100 million. They used to have multiple progression points during a season. AND... the additions they have now, you wish you could take out. Potential rating, anyone?

To the original OP... if you've played this game last gen to next gen, the franchise has been given little attention and is sorely lacking in just about every area. That's where the discontentment stems from.....
Yes, they used to have those, but they were all half-implemented and broken.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastsofboston
I don't see where he said anything about 2K having an exclusive license in the first place...

I read it as competition within a market driving up product quality amongst competitors, which is true. It's unreasonable to think EA would keep intentionally making such a lacking product if they had actual incentive not to. But thanks to greed and the allowance of monopolies in the US that's exactly what we get year in and year out. A lacking, half-assed product.

I wouldn't be shocked if EA already has a list of every feature they'll add to Madden every year for the next 10, and what's sad is that they could probably easily take all those features and simultaneously implement them within a year. At worst, maybe 2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Chaos
I don't see where he said anything about 2K having an exclusive license in the first place...

I read it as competition within a market driving up product quality amongst competitors, which is true. It's unreasonable to think EA would keep intentionally making such a lacking product if they had actual incentive not to. But thanks to greed and the allowance of monopolies in the US that's exactly what we get year in and year out. A lacking, half-assed product.

I wouldn't be shocked if EA already has a list of every feature they'll add to Madden every year for the next 10, and what's sad is that they could probably easily take all those features and simultaneously implement them within a year. At worst, maybe 2 years.
lol you dont know what your talking about here. Madden first off is not lacking because ea is lazy, or they dont put time into it. Ok its lacking because they add big features that the average consumer will like but the hardcore will not.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Can't believe everything you read on Wiki. I loved Madden 98, but dynasty mode kept me playing NCAA 98 instead.

Madden 99 review:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/sports/ma...99/review.html

Quote:
"Also new this year is the addition of franchise mode. You can take your team through several seasons, participate in the draft, and basically try to manage the entire team."
Sorry for veering off topic.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Can't believe everything you read on Wiki. I loved Madden 98, but dynasty mode kept me playing NCAA 98 instead.

Madden 99 review:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/sports/ma...99/review.html

Sorry for veering off topic.
i think you are correct sir ... wikipedia is resourceful at times just not this time... but my point was that madden didn't invent franchise and either way you slice it they didn't.

with all of this digging and sifting through madden history i started reading some of the old reviews; man did it take me back to some good times.

the thing that really caught my attention about these reviews was some of the complaints that the reviewers had back then are shockingly similar to the complaints of today.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »