Home

Madden NFL 11 Impressions Thread (PS3 and 360) (READ FIRST POST!!!!)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Impressions Thread (PS3 and 360) (READ FIRST POST!!!!) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #809
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 11 Impressions Thread (PS3 and 360) (READ FIRST POST!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
My list of things that must be patched/fixed in order for Madden to become a sim.

Improve blocking AI. I've had many instances where TE's or WR's will run backwards, back towards the LOS to block someone who's behind me (someone I've already beat) instead of getting downfield and blocking the defender that's about to be in position to tackle me. Huge flaw that can easily ruin a running play every time this occurs. The oline blocking AI is not as broken, but certainly not perfect either.

RBs still get stuck behind the offensive line. Maybe not as frequent anymore, but it's still there.

No pass interference. If the ball is not in the air you can bump and stop the motion of any WR without having a flag thrown.

AI cheats to favor the offense. Ever hit the X or LB to tackle a runner or swat a ball only to have your defender stand there and not respond at all? Yeah I've seen this happen at least 3 or 4 times now and I've only been playing for about a week now. If you're in position to make a play that the AI doesn't want you to make, it just shuts down your control so the offense can progress.

No gang tackling, defenders falling for no reason. There's still no true gang tackling system in Madden, 90% of the time the game generates one on one situations. What's even worse is that if you do have a defender near a ball carrier who's already engaged in a tackle animation, the extra defender will just fall to the ground for no reason. The bad thing about that is if the runner breaks the tackle animation the defender that should have been there for help is now on the ground, incapable of making a tackle. I just had someone break a 40 yard run on me because of this. Timmons had the RB wrapped up, a safety then got too close, falls down, the RB breaks free and runs for a big gain. If there was gang tackling that would never have happened.

Not having a true gang tackling system also makes defenses who are good at swarming to the ball slightly less potent.

Terrible Controls. Serious button lag when trying to swat the ball, unpredictable momentum that's not fluid or precise at all.

No player identities. None of the players play like their real life counterparts. Madden needs to implement a "signature style" ala 2k, so that AP actually runs like AP, etc. You also have guys like Addai who play outside of their realm of capabilities, trucking through defenders left and right. That's not his style and makes the game feel very unrealistic.

WRs magic burst, and shift catching. Have a WR blanketed?? Sometimes that won't matter, I've seen DBs run stride for stride in front of a WR, only to have the WR dart past him, and shifting while the ball is in the air in order to make the completion.

AI DBs extremely unresponsive. Not only will the AI limit you from defending the ball, when you let the AI handle the DBs too often they'll just stand idle and not attempt to swat or pick the ball despite having position.

Offensive linemen fall down for no reason. I think this is a lack of animations thing again, when there's not an animation for them they'll just fall to the ground untouched.

No physicality, or respect for physics on defense. Again just another way EA makes the offense a cakewalk for you. I can be running full speed towards a RB who has no momentum, but somehow he'll still manage to fall forward for 5 yards. That or my guy will choose to throw him forward for 5 yards, how convenient.

Defensive AI fails to adapt. You can hit the same route over and over again, ideally the AI should wise up and eventually jump the route, but they don't.

Game flow and player assist? Not only can the computer call the plays for you now which takes the entire strategy and X's and O's of the game away, but you can also hold A to allow the AI to control your player. I understand making the game more fun and easy to play for those new to football, but these sort of features should not be available on All-Madden. Also, like in years past we should have a hardcore ranked online mode, that's All-Madden and forced punts in certain situations. I don't know why they've gotten rid of that mode and left sim players in the dark.

Suction Blocking. You still get sucked into blockers which makes defensive horizontal flow to the blow unrealistic. You're also either blocked, or unblocked, there's no real bull rush, or being slightly impeded by blockers.

Not trying to be negative, but we all already know about the good things. So, in order for Madden to become a sim these particular issues, along with others, must be talked about. We can't keep sweeping these things under the rug, they're too important to the gameplay.

I hope EA read this post, this is spot on, the thing that bothers me the most is the players falling to the ground when a ball carrier is engaged.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #810
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I hated this game. HATED IT! I sold it and was happy to rid myself of this BS excuse of a football game.

Well, the thought of playing in an online franchise over shadowed playing the actual game itself. I borrow my little brother's Madden and play a scrimmage to get in the swing of things. I score something like 40 points with the Packers, and think "yup, same ole game".

I play my first game of the season back in the OF and had one of the lowest scoring games I've had in '11. Fun too. The commissioner of the league would tell me the game isn't so bad against the CPU either when you assign the game plans to them. I finally tried that and wow! I actually find Madden to be a fun game. I find myself actually wanting to play it. When playing against the right person, it can also be a helluva game.

That's when it dawned on me...I actually started to hate the game more so because of the people I was playing against. When I'm playing a "sim" person who actually has a game plan, the game is great. Yes, you get the Madden BS (I will never understand the cover the ball button in relation to the hit stick), but I've come to the realization all games, to a degree, have BS.

All in all, it's a solid game and not the garbage I initially thought.
Yeah, I gave up on Madden 11 a few months ago. I am an offline-only guy, so my experience differs from yours a little, Shiz. I couldn't get settled with sliders and I wasn't a fan of Gameflow.

I thought assigning Gameplans to the CPU was busted? How did you get that to work?

If I could get the CPU to call a good game (I'm on PS3), I would go back and get the game and just call plays myself on offense and defense.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #811
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yeah, I gave up on Madden 11 a few months ago. I am an offline-only guy, so my experience differs from yours a little, Shiz. I couldn't get settled with sliders and I wasn't a fan of Gameflow.

I thought assigning Gameplans to the CPU was busted? How did you get that to work?

If I could get the CPU to call a good game (I'm on PS3), I would go back and get the game and just call plays myself on offense and defense.
I used Rocky's thread and guys confirmed it worked. I believe there's a thread in the gameplan section w/ all the game plans for all 32 teams. I haven't touched sliders either. I've stayed on All Pro. I've had some blow(pause) outs and some tough ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #812
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I used Rocky's thread and guys confirmed it worked. I believe there's a thread in the gameplan section w/ all the game plans for all 32 teams. I haven't touched sliders either. I've stayed on All Pro. I've had some blow(pause) outs and some tough ones.
Is Rocky's thread in the Gameplan section as well? Man, that would be great if I could get that work for the PS3.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #813
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Is Rocky's thread in the Gameplan section as well? Man, that would be great if I could get that work for the PS3.
Yes it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #814
MVP

OVR: 19

finally picked the game up. I tried to play but couldnt get through one game.
The play, by play, and presentation are very, very, boring. and that's putting it mildly.

game play seems to be decent though.
dont like the play calling or what ever its called feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »