Home

So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter?

This is a discussion on So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I am on the fence about this new kick meter. On one hand if it causes the kicking game to be more realistic then it's a great thing. But on the other hand, wow is that meter ugly and looks so-10-years-ago. Surely they could have done something better than this.
I sound like a broken record in all my post of late...but dangit aesthetics matter! Really they do. The meter is big and ugly and looks dated. I don't mind the kicking meter so much but good grief they couldn't design something sleeker looking?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

exactly right Glenn! I mean my goodness man, make it without the big ol' Wii-looking button that moves. I mean the thing looks like just like a slider in the Sims PC game for example. And I don't mean Sims 3, i'm talking old school Sims 1 stuff. It just looks so out of place in the game.

I think because it looks so bad, that it's possible they had a fancier one in there and something was buggy about it so they had to put this in at the very last minute. I mean that's the only explanation I have for having something so awfully archaic looking be in the game in this day and age.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
I am on the fence about this new kick meter. On one hand if it causes the kicking game to be more realistic then it's a great thing. But on the other hand, wow is that meter ugly and looks so-10-years-ago. Surely they could have done something better than this.
This is one area that IF the slider makes the meter more sensitive and less automatic I'll be all for it. I hated the stick kicking becasue it really wasn't "analog" kicking like people call it.

To me we need a system more in line with controlling a puppet.

Using both sticks (1 for moving towards the ball and the other for right leg) you move kicker towards holder as soon as ball is snapped. As you get to the "kicking point" you pull back the RS and swing forward (Moving Kicker leg in real time) to kick the ball. How well the timing was as far as when the foot hit the ball dictated how accurate the kick.

The strength of the kick should always have been automatic and not user inputed IMO. Strength is strength and I shouldn't have to tell the kicker to kick this 40 yarder harder than the XP he just kicked earlier...

Anyways... That's my take.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #36
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
I sound like a broken record in all my post of late...but dangit aesthetics matter! Really they do. The meter is big and ugly and looks dated. I don't mind the kicking meter so much but good grief they couldn't design something sleeker looking?
Quote:
exactly right Glenn! I mean my goodness man, make it without the big ol' Wii-looking button that moves. I mean the thing looks like just like a slider in the Sims PC game for example. And I don't mean Sims 3, i'm talking old school Sims 1 stuff. It just looks so out of place in the game.

I think because it looks so bad, that it's possible they had a fancier one in there and something was buggy about it so they had to put this in at the very last minute. I mean that's the only explanation I have for having something so awfully archaic looking be in the game in this day and age.

Agree... so see post above

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Skyboxer - I agree that scheme you describe would make the most sense for kicking. So long as it wasn't too sensitive is all and it would make people want to scream because they missed even XP's all the time. Also, I wonder how i'd do kicking wise after 7 vodka tonics. Probably would miss some I'll bet. But that'd be ok. One should miss some FG's after 7 vodka tonics. That's kind of the thing that's wrong with today's football games in fact, LOL
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #38
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Skyboxer - I agree that scheme you describe would make the most sense for kicking. So long as it wasn't too sensitive is all and it would make people want to scream because they missed even XP's all the time. Also, I wonder how i'd do kicking wise after 7 vodka tonics. Probably would miss some I'll bet. But that'd be ok. One should miss some FG's after 7 vodka tonics. That's kind of the thing that's wrong with today's football games in fact, LOL
What would be cool is if you had the onside kick cursor (crosshairs on a football) meter 1 left to right ....meter 2 up and down, those would be your leg motions , and then power, in addition to a moving aiming arrow.... Seirously. I mean it'd be clunky but the best way to do it is somehow represent foot placement on the ball in my view
Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #39
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Agreed ODogg. 'if' it makes it more realistic. I don't believe it's going to make it any more realistic as that means they would have changed their calculations/tuning on the kicking. If they had done that, then there would have been no reason to get rid of the analog stick. To sum, I"ll be happy with it if it's more realistic, but logically thinking through it, I just don't see how a 'meter' makes it more realistic when the mechanism/feedback wasn't the problem in the first place.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 4

The new kicking system is less challenging than Tecmo Bowl...it's classic EA, take something that people would like to see modified and make it worse. If anything, make it harder...some how some way...I bet if you got a group a avid gamers together they could come up with an idea in about 30 minutes that would be head and shoulders beyond this meter thing or the right stick kicking...it's not rocket science. And EA is paying people to make these decisions..heck I'd work for free just to see some positive change...it boggles the mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66VSNW1dXBE

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »