Home

Are we seeing a trend in gaming where user control is taken away for "sim" results

This is a discussion on Are we seeing a trend in gaming where user control is taken away for "sim" results within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are games being designed with less user control, across ALL sports?
Yes (discuss why in comments) 14 63.64%
No (discuss why in comments) 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
Rookie

milehighmagic303's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Are we seeing a trend in gaming where user control is taken away for "sim" result

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickOnMyStickz
im tired of "sim" players. they cry way too much. .
I agree with this 100 percent. They complain until they get something then if it isn't perfect then they complain its not "sim" enough for them
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Are we seeing a trend in gaming where user control is taken away for "sim" result

Bottom line is we should have both. And I guarantee we would if there was open competition.
I prefer the games where strategy/knowledge AND the quality of players on the field > Stick skills and players on field

However those that want non of that to matter and it be all about stick skills should be able to get that kind of game too.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmagic303
I agree with this 100 percent. They complain until they get something then if it isn't perfect then they complain its not "sim" enough for them
Those aren't sim players. Those are career "look at me" whiners that complain about everything...

Don't confuse the two...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
The problem is there's not a good way to make an "arcade" style game and make it profitable. I think there's a lot of people who want to play 11 on 11 arcade football that looks good, has real transactions, feels good, but still is about stick skills. Madden will always out sell blitz and street, etc.
Simple solution-

You want NFL-Madden

You want College Style-NCAA

You want arcade-Blitz/Madden Arcade or w/e it's called

You cannot have both in one game, that will not work. It's obvious Madden is moving to a more simulation based game. The cheesers/tourney/arcade style players should move onto a game that fits their need for the unrealistic crap they love so much. Go buy a damn Wii.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Dude, I'm saying I should be able to TRY. I should do anything I want. And no it should NOT work. An NFL defense would destroy this approach in real life. The game should be programmed that way so the D is able to. That's what I'm saying . And if I put a RB at QB he should be fast, but not able to throw.
EA is to blame for this "what is sim" fiasco because they want to make a FOOTBALL game that appeals to everyone. Football doesnt appeal to everyone so common sense says that a football video game will not either but EA is not in the business of common sense. One of the hardest things to do when starting a business is to find a niche. EA already has a great niche with Madden, NFL football. So if they would just make a NFL football game as realistic as possible it would sell, period. Instead, they try to "reinvent the wheel" with beyond broadcast, coin based scouting, hidden uniforms etc, when all they have to do is mimic the NFL.

I have repeatedly said gamers should be allowed to play anyway they want in Madden but the difficulty level should limit what is successful. The easy way to accomplish this, IMO, is by doing what the NFL does in real life. NFL rules and play success are what keep teams in check, if the rules allow it and it's successful, teams will try it. If Madden made AWR, PRC and penalties be more impactful the higher the difficulty level, alot of the games exploits problems would be solved. If on All-pro, when a player user catches/RC it's more difficult against a defender with high AWR and they need to becareful not to get a offensive PI call, it makes user catch a skill. If using the pocket correctly results in more time to pass and less holding penalties, OB sack avoidance outside the pocket becomes a skill set. If setting up blocks and picking running lanes were required to actually gain any yards on run plays and KR/PR as well as to avoid clipping penalties, using juke moves and spins instead of using blocking schemes becomes skill sets.

The list goes on and on but the point is by having the difficulty level affect the success of gamers tatics, causes stick skills to actual be a skill set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
DickDalewood

OVR:

Closed per OP's request.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »