Home

Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'm on the PS3 now, but I used to host several tournaments on the 360 and was forced to understand the game on both systems...

The problem with having the Strategy Pad on the inside for the 360 is the repetitive motion of the thumb saddle joint. The fleshy portion of the thumb muscle is designed for gripping things toward the palm, not pushing away from it. The strategy pad on the 360 will create symptoms similar to Carpel Tunnel Syndrome for some players as they push against the larger muscle group for the thumb to make changes throughout the play...

I can see a HUGE class action lawsuit in the making if it's not patched to give players the option.

Later

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

DaveDQ - The reason the strategy pad is such a huge issue, and way ahead of some of the other issues you mention (which are legitimate issues btw) is that control is one thing that, if it's wrong, is more noticed than anything else. A player may or may not have issue with how a tackle is performed but if they press a button and it don't work, or if you change the button they are required to press, it's frustration at a base level.

It's not something you sit and look at and speculate about as you do the other issues, such as graphics or tackles or sideline catches or roster sizes, it's something that is an issue that keeps you from being able to experience the game without frustration on every single play. Because on every single play you use the controller to interact with the game so any control issues will ALWAYS be a much higher priority and issue for players across the board than ANYTHING else.

That's just how it is and that's why there is so much outrage over the Strategy Pad this year vs. people being frustrated about other issues, which as I said, are certainly real issues.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I think this Strategy Pad drama has given ammunition to the masses of people who don't like Madden. Some hate Madden and they really can't say why (at least not in a coherent fashion). Many are still jaded over the exclusivity deal. I'm certain that is the foundation to much of why many dislike the title. This issue with the Strategy Pad seems to allow many to jump on board and join the shouts against the Madden title.

I find it interesting and somewhat frustrating though that this Strategy Pad is snowballing into a huge pre-release issue when in fact this game continues to struggle with more important issues. You don't have to look far in this demo to see how awful the tackling is and how defenders are literally rolling off of the ball carrier. I don't understand why this isn't at the top of the simulation gamer's list. Yet, a feature that is usable (while a steep learning curve) like the Strategy Pad already has talks of letters and petitions.

I want the game to change where the change is an absolute identifier of a major gaming issue. Tackling is that issue and it has yet to be seriously addressed. The Strategy Pad is changing the way the buttons are mapped for pre-snap adjustments. It is change but the question for me is, "Was it essential?"
for me, i can not even comment on stuff like tackling, because im unable to get passed the controls. if you are unable to get passed the controls or hate how stuff is inputted, nothing else matters. it could be the best game ever or worst game ever but if you cant/wont interact with it, its kind of moot.

for me, the strat pad makes it unplayable. especially because i already know how easy, fun, and effortless the controls can be when done how they have been in the past
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
I find it interesting and somewhat frustrating though that this Strategy Pad is snowballing into a huge pre-release issue when in fact this game continues to struggle with more important issues. You don't have to look far in this demo to see how awful the tackling is and how defenders are literally rolling off of the ball carrier. I don't understand why this isn't at the top of the simulation gamer's list. Yet, a feature that is usable (while a steep learning curve) like the Strategy Pad already has talks of letters and petitions.

I want the game to change where the change is an absolute identifier of a major gaming issue. Tackling is that issue and it has yet to be seriously addressed. The Strategy Pad is changing the way the buttons are mapped for pre-snap adjustments. It is change but the question for me is, "Was it essential?"
Every year EA acts like they care what we want, they ask what we'd like to see changed, fixed, added, etc. They fix 1 or 2 things and add a bunch of stuff nobody wanted. No one wanted the new camera angle. Strategy pad streamlines things but it gives away your audibles and takes longer than the old configuration. The CPU snapping the ball too quick has been an issue in the past that was eventually patched, yet it's back again. Gameflow is really just a customizable, glorified ask madden.

They don't add anything to the game modes. Offline franchise has less features than Madden 2004. Online franchise still doesn't have a salary cap, or a correct free agency. Superstar mode is a joke.

Gameplay problems still abound. Tackling is terrible. Animations on defense are the same ones for the past 5 years. DB's still don't look at the ball when they track it and knock it down. LB's still make magical 20ft leaps for interceptions. The defensive line play is terrible, DT's do almost nothing. Defensive players constantly run the opposite way of the play; making it appear the game is cheating you.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
DaveDQ - The reason the strategy pad is such a huge issue, and way ahead of some of the other issues you mention (which are legitimate issues btw) is that control is one thing that, if it's wrong, is more noticed than anything else. A player may or may not have issue with how a tackle is performed but if they press a button and it don't work, or if you change the button they are required to press, it's frustration at a base level.

It's not something you sit and look at and speculate about as you do the other issues, such as graphics or tackles or sideline catches or roster sizes, it's something that is an issue that keeps you from being able to experience the game without frustration on every single play. Because on every single play you use the controller to interact with the game so any control issues will ALWAYS be a much higher priority and issue for players across the board than ANYTHING else.

That's just how it is and that's why there is so much outrage over the Strategy Pad this year vs. people being frustrated about other issues, which as I said, are certainly real issues.
yes, this is basically what i was trying to say.... for example try playing the PC version of madden from 2008 usng the keyboard instead of the controller. doesnt matter how good or bad the game is when you have to press shift+ctrl+ Z to throw the ball
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #30
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
I think this Strategy Pad drama has given ammunition to the masses of people who don't like Madden. Some hate Madden and they really can't say why (at least not in a coherent fashion). Many are still jaded over the exclusivity deal. I'm certain that is the foundation to much of why many dislike the title. This issue with the Strategy Pad seems to allow many to jump on board and join the shouts against the Madden title.

Exactly my point. The biggest issue this year is a change in something eveyones been used to being the same every year. Never has there been such an uproar over the animations, bad AI, Psychic DB's etc...

Now, a change in the comfort zone, and all hells breaking lose.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63
Seriously? lol
Yes. Seriously. This is the stuff class action suits are made of.

We aren't forced to buy the game, but if we do BUY the game, 360 users will be forced to use the strategy pad. As soon as people start going to the doctor with pain in their left wrist just below muscle the base of their palm, it's not going to take long before 'video games' are determined to be the biggest factor.

It won't be as debilitating on the PS3 where the motion doesn't go against the hand's design.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Yes. Seriously. This is the stuff class action suits are made of.

We aren't forced to buy the game, but if we do BUY the game, 360 users will be forced to use the strategy pad. As soon as people start going to the doctor with pain in their left wrist just below muscle the base of their palm, it's not going to take long before 'video games' are determined to be the biggest factor.

It won't be as debilitating on the PS3 where the motion doesn't go against the hand's design.

Later
Not EA's problem. They're not forcing you to use the 360 default controller or to use the strategy pad. They provide the software; it's the users choice how they play that software. The hardware is what would cause the discomfort, not the software. That's like saying if I tried to play a PC game on a laptop that had a shape/contour that made my wrists hurt that I could sue the game makers. Wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »