Home

Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

And why wouldn't there be Skyboxer? As I said, control is something that takes place on every, single play. The issues you speak of are legitimate issues, no question, but they are subjective (well many are, some are not) to a lot of people. The bottom line is a lot of things can be overlooked and lived with but poor design choices in relation to control cannot.

I mean you answered your own question about why there's not been as much of an uproar over the other issues, there is a change in the comfort zone, a huge one. You can't just take years of learned behavior and throw it in the trash without expecting a huge uproar.

Heck even for the turbo button removal they gave us an option to use the old method for those who wanted to utilize the old way... Did they not see this one coming from a mile away???
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #34
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Like I've said in every other thread...if you didn't have to 'activate' it, it'd be fine.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
DaveDQ - The reason the strategy pad is such a huge issue, and way ahead of some of the other issues you mention (which are legitimate issues btw) is that control is one thing that, if it's wrong, is more noticed than anything else. A player may or may not have issue with how a tackle is performed but if they press a button and it don't work, or if you change the button they are required to press, it's frustration at a base level.

It's not something you sit and look at and speculate about as you do the other issues, such as graphics or tackles or sideline catches or roster sizes, it's something that is an issue that keeps you from being able to experience the game without frustration on every single play. Because on every single play you use the controller to interact with the game so any control issues will ALWAYS be a much higher priority and issue for players across the board than ANYTHING else.

That's just how it is and that's why there is so much outrage over the Strategy Pad this year vs. people being frustrated about other issues, which as I said, are certainly real issues.

I'll always respect your opinion and listen to what you have to say but I just disagree with this area.
The strategy pad in the grand scheme of things shouldn't even be on the first page of things to be protesting for EXCEPT for the option to be able to go back the old way.

It's not like it is the main control of the game. It's an adjustment system.
On top of that it works. It's simply a change it how you do it. I could understand if they remove the adjustment controls all together.

Now I know some will say that they can't do a lot of hot routing which is correct. However the reason for needing a lot of hot routing (Although I don't do a lot) is the lack of a really good play design/play calling system.
Fix that and we no longer need the ability to redesign plays at the LOS.

I still think it really is a simple issue. The comfort level has been messed with and that has united the masses.
We have some really terrible animation transitions and tons other things on the field that are secondary to the strategy pad and I just don't get that.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Exactly my point. The biggest issue this year is a change in something eveyones been used to being the same every year. Never has there been such an uproar over the animations, bad AI, Psychic DB's etc...

Now, a change in the comfort zone, and all hells breaking lose.
user interfacing, interaction, and input is the msot important aspect of any software. it shouldnt be a suprise that a controll configuration and input issue is getting talked about so much.... and much more then gameplay.

you cant notice gameplay when you havent gotten past the controls. and alot of people havent gotten past the controls.

Last edited by jamaster14; 07-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
And why wouldn't there be Skyboxer? As I said, control is something that takes place on every, single play. The issues you speak of are legitimate issues, no question, but they are subjective (well many are, some are not) to a lot of people. The bottom line is a lot of things can be overlooked and lived with but poor design choices in relation to control cannot.

Addressed the contol in above post .

I mean you answered your own question about why there's not been as much of an uproar over the other issues, there is a change in the comfort zone, a huge one. You can't just take years of learned behavior and throw it in the trash without expecting a huge uproar.

Agree that is shouldn't have been a total change without the option to use old way. My point is apparently Comfort > Realistic Gameplay
Like I stated above as an example. Fix the play calling/Play design and the need for a lot of adjustments go by by.

Seriously listen to this:
You remember a game back on PC (Actually I think I had if for the Amiga)
You actually called plays by "design" if you will. THINK it was Head Coach FB

Example: You would type in: IR_30D_G
That told the game I form Strong Right. Dive to O hole, gap blocking. Calling D plays was simular. Now obviously we cant do all that typing on a console unless eveyone had a messenger kit for the 360 BUT you get my point I hope. If we could call play in more precise ways we would eliminate the need for a lot of pre play adjustments.

Heck even for the turbo button removal they gave us an option to use the old method for those who wanted to utilize the old way... Did they not see this one coming from a mile away???

LOL... They should have. And I agree as I said before. Should have been an option.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 07-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaster14
user interfacing, interaction, and input is the msot important aspect of any software. it shouldnt be a suprise that a controll configuration and input issue is getting talked about so much.... and much more then gameplay.

you cant notice gameplay when you havent gotten past the controls. and alot of people havent gotten past the controls.
Again the control is still there. Just a different way of getting the SAME thing. Yet gameplay and AI design are still whack.
They didn't get rid of adjustments just how you do them.
Again I agree there should have been an option to use old method.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #39

OVR: 34

Quote:

I think your poll shows that the Strategy Pad is subjective too. People are ok with it. Some aren't. I still feel nothing has stuck like this issue. My thing is tackling and momentum. I thought last year showed an awareness of the game's issues. It gave me something to look forward to this year. But, the demo cancels out my hopes. To me this should be a huge let down to those who appreciated the talk of locomotion and what Pro-Tak was last year. Instead, a control scheme takes precedence.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #40
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Yes. Seriously. This is the stuff class action suits are made of.

We aren't forced to buy the game, but if we do BUY the game, 360 users will be forced to use the strategy pad. As soon as people start going to the doctor with pain in their left wrist just below muscle the base of their palm, it's not going to take long before 'video games' are determined to be the biggest factor.

It won't be as debilitating on the PS3 where the motion doesn't go against the hand's design.

Later
Can I sue Atlus for headaches causes by Demon's Soul's? I've banged my head a few times due to that (Great) game...so I should be able to sue them correct?

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »