Home

The Strategy Pad's Dirty Little Secret That EA Doesn't Want You To Know

This is a discussion on The Strategy Pad's Dirty Little Secret That EA Doesn't Want You To Know within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thumbs down Re: The Strategy Pad's Dirty Little Secret That EA Doesn't Want You To Know

The strategy pad is TERRIBLE!!!! I haven't seen a confirmation or a denial that alternate controls will be available. Can anyone here do so? I pray that we can opt for the old system. For all the things that are wrong with this series, the hot routes, coverage adjustments and audibles are not any of them. Why would they change this? I don't buy the dumbing down theory. So now someone who refused to play madden because it was to difficult to make presnap adjustments is all of a sudden going to jump on board because the s-pad. I dont think it makes it any simplier at all. This change really caught me off guard because it was the most unneccesary. Sorry for the length but I needed to vent. Go HOME S-PAD!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
Rookie

frankstallone83's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Strategy Pad's Dirty Little Secret That EA Doesn't Want You To Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchand
for all of us old enough to have had madden on genesis and then ps1 and then ps2 and now next gen console, we had to learn new controls almost everytime a system came out so i say if the noobs want to play madden then learn the controls like we had to, besides EA should be catering to the hardcore gamers the guys who spend their last 60 bucks on it, the guy who buys ncaa and madden every year like a ritual, the guy who go's and stands in line at midnight and who has to hear his significant other saying (IT'S JUST A GAME) we are the ones EA should be catering too.
+1 to this. Remember a few years ago when they had the "maddenoliday" commercials? They were appealing to the hardcore - now...not so much.

edit: I'm still excited for the game and don't have a problem with ea going after noobs. It's just bad business to do it at the expense of your base.

Last edited by frankstallone83; 07-29-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
O RLY? I must've missed your blog about discovering it. Nice job bashing people instead of contributing yourself. I understand the move they are making, in fact I am for it somewhat. What I don't like is EA remaining basically silent during a firestorm while trying to slide one by us with the strategy pad.

Oh, and when referring to relavance, the strategy pad is probably the number one hot topic right now in regards to Madden 11.
I wasn't bashing you, I was just saying that the Blog title, and thread title is misleading. And personally the way the topic was presented I don't think warranted a blog. That is my personal opinion is all
Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 4

The funniest thing about the startegy pad is that people are always complaining how games need to innovate and make things less stale, but the minute, and by minute I mean there was probably one guy out there who took one snap and didn't like the pad so he started in about how much it sucked. Of course like normal human behaviour others came out of the woodwork and started agreeing until it became this big issue.

I have played 2 games of madden and honestly, except for the odd time when I forget about the strategy pad and use the old controls, I have no issues. As soon as you call your play you can press the X button (PS3) and then you can start adjusting your line.

The funniest thing is that there are a bunch of people complaining about EA making the game different, but they are the same people who want change. The passing cone is my favorite example. People thought passing was too easy because you could just throw to anybody anytime, so they added the cone, which IMHO was implemented poorly, and people complained. Did it make the game more sim-like......in theory it should have as I don't know any QB that can be looking at a receiver down the left sideline and throw a strike to a receiver on the other side of the field. But people complained and instead of letting EA work out the kinks, they were forced to drop it althogether.

As for EA making the old control usable, I hope they do, but until I see the final product I am choosing not to get all "the sky is falling" about it and see what happens. Maybe its in the final build, you know when we will know??? When we get it!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
Rookie

frankstallone83's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
The funniest thing about the startegy pad is that people are always complaining how games need to innovate and make things less stale, but the minute, and by minute I mean there was probably one guy out there who took one snap and didn't like the pad so he started in about how much it sucked. Of course like normal human behaviour others came out of the woodwork and started agreeing until it became this big issue.

I have played 2 games of madden and honestly, except for the odd time when I forget about the strategy pad and use the old controls, I have no issues. As soon as you call your play you can press the X button (PS3) and then you can start adjusting your line.

The funniest thing is that there are a bunch of people complaining about EA making the game different, but they are the same people who want change. The passing cone is my favorite example. People thought passing was too easy because you could just throw to anybody anytime, so they added the cone, which IMHO was implemented poorly, and people complained. Did it make the game more sim-like......in theory it should have as I don't know any QB that can be looking at a receiver down the left sideline and throw a strike to a receiver on the other side of the field. But people complained and instead of letting EA work out the kinks, they were forced to drop it althogether.

As for EA making the old control usable, I hope they do, but until I see the final product I am choosing not to get all "the sky is falling" about it and see what happens. Maybe its in the final build, you know when we will know??? When we get it!!!
Passing cone was a gameplay innovation thad didn't work out. strategy pad isn't innovative at all - it is taking something that has been in the game for years and made it clunkier for whatever reason. There's really no comparison.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
you said snatch...
Ah, levity! Thank you for not taking yourself as seriously as everyone else on this site.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
How did he bash you? Lighten up.
Quote:
yeah this is about as secret as the sky being blue, water being wet, me being overweight, and my girlfriend needing to shut the hell up...

Lol it's not much of a discovery either. They're trying to get more business. Newer business younger business. That's all... maybe cut down some cheese in the process, because online unranked was no fun last year at all"

Quote:
I wasn't bashing you, I was just saying that the Blog title, and thread title is misleading. And personally the way the topic was presented I don't think warranted a blog. That is my personal opinion is all
Appearantly, a trip to Gamestop is worth a blog and this isn't.
http://www.operationsports.com/ryan3...ncaa-11-story/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels

To each his own...But change for the sake of change is pointless when the system was fine as it was and NOT ONE person ever complained about it. Was probably the LEAST concerning aspect of anything in the game, but they change it? Worried about the casuls? If they buy the game but then for some reason never play it again for some reason..So what? They bought it didnt they/ If they like it enough they will LEARN how to play...You know, like every other game out today. Why is Madden differant?

Silly logic if you ask me.....

Last edited by SA1NT401; 07-29-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »