Home

I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

This is a discussion on I hate how I hate Gus Johnson.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #57
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
He's better than last year's guy. Still, though, he's too excited. He says things like, "JOHNSON! .... back to recieve the kick. JOHNSON! ... returned the ball to IT LOOKS LIKE! the 21 yard line."

EA needs to grab Mike Patrick. He used to do ESPN Sunday Night Football several years ago, and he and Randy Cross did the commentary for QBC '99, which was light years ahead of Madden in the commentary department. He's got a great voice and passion for calling games that doesn't come across as corny.
Mike Patrick is one of my favorite announcers of all time.

"HO-LY COW! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
This has NOTHING to do with Gus Johnson, it has to do with the EA sound developer.

I would absolutely be ashamed of my work on this(and past Maddens) if I was ANYONE at EA working or making decisions on the sound.

Im NOT here to bash, but as a sound engineer myself, I cant imagine this being my final work(or even a correct start for that matter).

At least take it back to editing, and edit out any odd moments. A no yard gain play isnt exciting guys!
^^^ this is absolutely correct.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #59
16 Time World Champion

Nature_Boy's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmittSmithx22x
I saw nothing Wrong with Pat Sumerall and John Madden. They were a great duo.

I also Saw Nothing wrong with John Madden and Al Michaels. Another great duo

But since those two....EA Has not found the suitable pair to replace them IMO.

We all know how alot of people disliked Tom Hammond. But Chris Collinsworth actually brought alot to the table. I am not going to pass judgment on Gus Johnson yet, simply because it was only a demo. But here is to hoping that he can be an improvement over the Previous duo of Hammond-Collinsworth.
For us old school Madden players, I don't think anyone can replace Pat S. and Madden. Or Al and John for that matter.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 28

I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the commentators they've had. The problem lies in the implementation of the commentary. It sounds like crap because it's spliced. They also didn't even bring Chris and Gus in together to record them at the the same time. Amazing, especially for the game that has the resources of EA and access to all things NFL. Very weak in my opinion. Maybe next year
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #61
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature_Boy
For us old school Madden players, I don't think anyone can replace Pat S. and Madden. Or Al and John for that matter.
I'm as old school as it gets when it comes to Madden, and I've always thought the commentary was lousy and always behind the competition in that regard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #62
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmittSmithx22x
Troy Aikman and Joe Buck, I think would be great calling madden games.

NBA 2k10 Nailed their announcing. Great back and forth commentary. I wish Madden would hit that level soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i enjoy troy aikman (weird since im an eagles fan right?) but i despise joe buck. i hate him. if he was in madden it would be the first time ever that i would mute commentary. ugh

Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwsFoe
I love when Gus Johnson is calling games Live but this is just absolutely brutal at times in the game and I'm almost embarrassed for the guy. Anyone else feeling this way?
Just watched about 8 minutes worth of gameplay video and I have to say I agree 100%...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 49

Well, obviously the broadcasters EA has been using, are already proven real life NFL broadcasters. Its really hard to fault them,since they are already established proffessional broadcasters on prime time TV.

Its not like these guys are paid broadcast actors or novices, some of Maddens past/present broadcasters have been doing this for many, many years. The bottom line is EA is unable to make these guys sound like they do on Sunday. If they ever did that, then we could put the blame on if we like the announcer or not. Right now, its not about them at all, but the editing system used by EA.

Bascially blaming the sound on the commentators, is like saying Peyton Manning is a bad passer, because in Madden 11 he cant throw passes very well

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »