Home

Interesting ESPN article

This is a discussion on Interesting ESPN article within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: ESPN:Outside The Lines, Madden Dynasty

Awesome article!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 18

Great article.

It brought back a ton of memories. You know I remember being 22 and playing Madden 93 to death. My roomate and I had **** battles every night playing 4-5 hours at a time. When Madden moved to the PS1 I really was not a big fan initally. I liked Gameday much better for a few years. Then Madden 99 came out and the Franchsie was truly born for the sim player. 2005 we saw the pinnacle. Now here we are 5 years later and we are about to get probably the best Madden since Madden 2005. While it is never going to be perfect we hardcore sim players can make it work as long as the AI can be sound as sound can get. After reading the article you have to feel for these guys. They are working countless hours and really looking over so many details all while having the NFL being the 800 pound gorilla sitting on their friggin back.

Yes NFL2K5 and Madden 2005 have been no question the best total package for video game football. But the series made huge leaps with 2010 and while the AI was awful, I think they really saw that and worked very hard on this years edition to perfect this new engine. I appreciate the effort if they indeed solved a lot of the cheap plays (screens, tosses) while bringing the fun factor back.

They have a tough job here. Madden is mainstream. So it needs to be accessible and fun and at the same time provide a deep and immersive expereince for us long time players who demand a sim type game. I think Madden took giant steps in 2010 and with 2011 they really seem to have tightened up the controls, added great sideline animations, and also made the physics the most realistic ever. So this is a major step towards what we all want.

Better offline franchise as well as online franchise play.

I am glad they decided to point their efforts into getting the new engine as close to perfect as they can and shoring up the AI so next years version can be that pinnacle edition for the new gen consoles.

Next year with all the Physics out of the way they can focus on presentation and features for franchise.

Would competition help? No doubt and I wish they had it. I would like a choice in NFL football gaming. But that will have to wait a while apparently.

Last edited by Todem; 08-05-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #27
Bills Mafia!!

racerx's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
I love the this article, I used to Love waiting for madden to come each year, me and my freinds sitting in my room playing the crap out of it, those days were priceless.

I now can't wait to play this years Madden.
That is so true...Now I am 41 and married with a 2 year old and watching yo-gabba gabba....LOL
NCAA Basketball - UK Wildcats
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Great read. Thanks for the link.

Going through the photo gallery was a trip. I remember playing Madden 97 and being wowed by the graphics, thinking "how can it get better than this?"

Now I look at it and go "how in the world did I play that?"

Also funny, I never knew EA secretly made NFL 94 and intentionally made it inferior to Madden. I actually preferred it to Madden back in the day.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #29
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Interesting ESPN article

Interesting read, kind of like a biography of the game. It has the usual " John Madden demanded 11 guys on the field" type quotes and then in other places kind of takes a different angle.

It talks about how John Madden was the third choice for the game and was only picked because he didn't want royalties. How Hawkins started EA and then was outed and not even invited to the 10th anniversary party.

Even the photogallery of its history..lots of the usual stuff and then quotes like...

In 2005, "hit stick" makes highlight-reel tackles easy. After "NFL 2K5" cuts into market share, EA buys exclusive NFL, NFLPA rights. B'bye, other guys.

and

After EA touted 1998's "Liquid AI," Sony producer Kelly Flock responded: "Liquid AI is the crap that ran down [EA's] leg when they saw [GameDay].

Is this supposed to be a "happy memories" article, a "what has happened to the company article", of just the "history of the franchise" good and bad??
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

What's unbelievable is that EA could not invite it's founder Trip Hawkins to the Madden 10th anniversary party. How cold.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #31
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
What's unbelievable is that EA could not invite it's founder Trip Hawkins to the Madden 10th anniversary party. How cold.
Yeah, that is lame. Madden wasn't happy about that, either. I think Madden should still be doing commentary for the game if he wants, as well.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #32
Rookie

EmmittSmithx22x's Arena

OVR: 29

Good read. Thank you

OS
VETS Madden League:
Vets Bowl V,VII,IX Champion (Bengals)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »