Home

To all the Acell Clock users

This is a discussion on To all the Acell Clock users within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: To all the Acell Clock users

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
so what the best setting with acc clock to get the nfl feel?
I think it depends on your style of game.

If you're the type to run the clock to 1 second then you may be able to play 15 minute quarters at the highest run-off and get a realistic number of plays. That's how I did it and I saw about 120 plays in the game.

Some guys may be a bit faster so less time. Maybe you pass more than rush? Or you rush more than pass? All of that could affect what works for you.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I think it depends on your style of game.

If you're the type to run the clock to 1 second then you may be able to play 15 minute quarters at the highest run-off and get a realistic number of plays. That's how I did it and I saw about 120 plays in the game.

Some guys may be a bit faster so less time. Maybe you pass more than rush? Or you rush more than pass? All of that could affect what works for you.

I like what your saying here, about running the clock down to 1 second, and play 15 min , myself I dont make many pre snap adjustments so I play 12 min 25 sec run off and snap the ball as soon as I get to the line at about 9 seconds, like I said early when I found the OS and listened to the talk about the Accel Clock it saved Madden for me and has made them game SO much more fun
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

I strongly encourage using accelerated clock. The average amount of plays per team in the NFL (real life) is 65 plays (of course im talking offense). If you set the quarters to 15 minutes and up the accelerated clock to 25 seconds, you will get basically the realistic amount of plays. I do this every time and I love it because it makes it more realistic.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #20
Rookie

H8ff0000's Arena

OVR: 6

I love the idea of realism, so 15min 25sec sounds great. I like to make some adjustments at the line. Does the 25sec make it hard come to the line, read the defense, execute adjustments, and snap the ball in time? Sounds like it would be difficult if your muscle memory wasn't as good as others.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've felt that 11-12 minute quarters with 15 second run off worked well. It gives you enough time to make adjustments if need be while still keeping all the benefits of longer quarters. I did notice that with my style of play, 12 minutes was generally leading to 140 plays between teams so I cut it down to 11.

This is important:
Keep in mind that if you pass a lot, all those incompletions stop the clock so games with a lot of passing will typically have over 120 plays so you may find yourself running 140 plays at 12 minutes.

I suggest trying out different combinations of quarter length and clock run-off and play attention to the number of plays at the end of the game. 120 between the two teams is the magic number.

Once you figure out a time and runoff combination that gets that many plays, you can make adjustments based on how much time you need pre-snap. If you need more time pre-snap, lower the run-off and adjust the quarter length accordingly.

Keep in mind that your overall play-calling will affect how many total plays are called. If there's a lot of passes and therefore, a fare amount of clock stoppages, you're basically preserving more game-time on the clock by a factor of whatever your run-off is (ie- 25 second run-off means 25 seconds is being saved at every clock stoppage whereas a 15 second run-off means 15 seconds is being saved at every clock stoppage; et ceteris paribus this means that the 25 second run-off game will have more plays than the 15 second run-off game). If, on the other hand, you run all the time and you throw game-managing passes and rarely have incompletions, and there's, therefore, very little clock stoppages, then it's the reverse effect (ie- 15 second run-offs will result in more plays per game than 25 second run-offs, assuming both you and the computer don't run down to 1 second every time)

Last edited by phillysouljah; 08-10-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

I can't edit my post further. I wanted to re-iterate that that last bit I said is important. It's definitely a balancing act and there is no perfect clock settings that apply to everyone.

Again, assuming neither you nor the computer waits til the 1 second mark on every down, if you pass a lot, 25 second run-off means more plays than 15 second run-off; if you run a lot, 15 second run-off means more plays than 25-second run-off.

Keep that in mind as you try to get to ~60 plays/team.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #23
Rookie

H8ff0000's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I've felt that 11-12 minute quarters with 15 second run off worked well. It gives you enough time to make adjustments if need be while still keeping all the benefits of longer quarters. I did notice that with my style of play, 12 minutes was generally leading to 140 plays between teams so I cut it down to 11.

This is important:
Keep in mind that if you pass a lot, all those incompletions stop the clock so games with a lot of passing will typically have over 120 plays so you may find yourself running 140 plays at 12 minutes.

I suggest trying out different combinations of quarter length and clock run-off and play attention to the number of plays at the end of the game. 120 between the two teams is the magic number.

Once you figure out a time and runoff combination that gets that many plays, you can make adjustments based on how much time you need pre-snap. If you need more time pre-snap, lower the run-off and adjust the quarter length accordingly.

Keep in mind that your overall play-calling will affect how many total plays are called. If there's a lot of passes and therefore, a fare amount of clock stoppages, you're basically preserving more game-time on the clock by a factor of whatever your run-off is (ie- 25 second run-off means 25 seconds is being saved at every clock stoppage whereas a 15 second run-off means 15 seconds is being saved at every clock stoppage; et ceteris paribus this means that the 25 second run-off game will have more plays than the 15 second run-off game). If, on the other hand, you run all the time and you throw game-managing passes and rarely have incompletions, and there's, therefore, very little clock stoppages, then it's the reverse effect (ie- 15 second run-offs will result in more plays per game than 25 second run-offs, assuming both you and the computer don't run down to 1 second every time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I can't edit my post further. I wanted to re-iterate that that last bit I said is important. It's definitely a balancing act and there is no perfect clock settings that apply to everyone.

Again, assuming neither you nor the computer waits til the 1 second mark on every down, if you pass a lot, 25 second run-off means more plays than 15 second run-off; if you run a lot, 15 second run-off means more plays than 25-second run-off.

Keep that in mind as you try to get to ~60 plays/team.
Great post(s). Explained in great detail and I completely understand how to go about this now. Thanks boss.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12
Search the forum. We have discussed this to death last year.

Simply put it is a necessity. To give a real life game.

For instance if you play without accellerated clock and you have a fast break offense vs. a ball control offense. Clock management is the key to winning the game for the ball control team.

With accelerated clock the clock runoff between plays is sped up but equates to the real life time that it takes to call in the plays and get the right personel in.

As a coach a ball control offense wants to get first downs and limit the oppositions chances on offense. So 10:00 minute 15 play drives mean a lot to this team. Without accelerated clock this strategy aspect is negated (or heightened if you simply run off the clock while playing 8 min quarters....but amount of plays are severely skewed). It allows the USER to play the CPU full quarters while running off the time to call in plays and personel.

Anyway if you don't understand why.....you probably don't need to. But for true football dudes it means a lot.
And that's why it's an absurdity not to have it in the last two minutes of the halves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »