Home

Please Fix Play Action Pass Blocking

This is a discussion on Please Fix Play Action Pass Blocking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60
Re: Please Fix Play Action Pass Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Jnes, next time you disagree w/me it's an infraction.

anyway i just posted what i observed while playing

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'll just ask one question. When you run PA, before you hike the ball, what do you see? If you see a secondary shell with nobody deep you better and should get your backside out of the PA play.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan

anyway i just posted what i observed while playing

I was joking, man, I was joking... no humor in the Madden forums these days.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
I think you guys are missing the boat on this a little bit...
If someone calls a PA too much, the natural consequence of that is not necessarily a pass blitz, nearly every time. The natural consequence is the pass would be covered. Just because it's a PA and poorly set up, doesn't mean there should be 3 dudes in the backfield. Make the pass incomplete because the defensive backs have shut down the route...

Also , the reason I call PA passes is because they're some good plays/routes in there. If they had a playbook where I could keep the play with no play fake , I would run that instead. I never really worry about the play action play thinking "the DB is gonna bite..." it's Madden. Unless you're playing another HUM play action is kinda pointless.
Agreed 100%. As it stands right now, your line gets blown up nearly every time like when someone used to guess your play in the old Tecmo Bowl games. The majority of failed PA plays need to be tuned just like ryan36 stated above.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
If someone calls a PA too much, the natural consequence of that is not necessarily a pass blitz, nearly every time. The natural consequence is the pass would be covered. Just because it's a PA and poorly set up, doesn't mean there should be 3 dudes in the backfield. Make the pass incomplete because the defensive backs have shut down the route...

Also , the reason I call PA passes is because they're some good plays/routes in there. If they had a playbook where I could keep the play with no play fake , I would run that instead. I never really worry about the play action play thinking "the DB is gonna bite..." it's Madden. Unless you're playing another HUM play action is kinda pointless.
Good news for you then dude. All you gotta do is hot route the person the PA fake is too. For example, just hot route the running back to stay in and block. If the play fake was a fake hand off to the running back, the QB will just drop back and pass like normal.

I did this in last year's madden, haven't confirmed its the same this year but I dunno why it wouldn't be.
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Rookie

spfhelmiii's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I agree with this. The consequence should not be getting killed on a sack, but that the defenders aren't thrown off in pass coverage.

Madden's issue is two-fold, (1) it takes far too long for the fake handoff, and (2) the line gets shredded too easily. While there ARE "hard" type of play-actions, where you really sell the PA at the expense of time looking down field, these should not be considered the norm. Think of how often Peyton, Brees, etc. add just a little hint of a fake handoff to get a subtle bite from defenders for extra space. Those are not in the game.

Hmm... so maybe a new subset of plays need to be added, or some PA needs to be modified, so you have (1) "playaction" plays where the QB, running back and offensive line REALLY try to sell the run (complete with initial run blocking moves), and (2) the subtle "fake handoffs" where everything with the offensive line stays the same, and the QB does just a very subtle fake handoff to get just the slightest hesitation from DBs, but not at the expense of giving up too much time to read the defense.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

It's confirmed ^. Also PA Pass vs more rushers than you can block = Sack, it's that simple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
If that is the case then all you have to do is hot route your RB/FB to block or run a route and it eliminates the actual "PA fake". I do it a lot.

The whole POINT of a play action is to fake out the defense and get them to over commit... and last year the defense always bit regardless of their Play Recognition Ratings. This year that is not the case, I have run play action at the right times and had much success. Play action in this years Madden is where it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »