Home

Out of Bounds: The Billion Dollar Elephant in the Room

This is a discussion on Out of Bounds: The Billion Dollar Elephant in the Room within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 1
i am a maddenholic and with that being said until they get all the bugs out of madden the ncaa football is a much much better game this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #66
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Out of Bounds: The Billion Dollar Elephant in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
I disagree. I bet all design decisions are run past the Tiburon studio execs. Guys like Jeremy Strauser who himself used to be a Madden producer... in fact, I remember talking to somebody back at one of the community day events several years back about plans 2-3 years down the road. I got the distinct impression that a road map was laid out several years in advance.
ZOOM! The sarcasm went right over your head.

Also, I want to 2ed everything BezO said.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #67
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

^^^ yup. lol.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #68
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

I couldnt agree more the original poster, its obvious the folks at EA know what quota they have to hit to consider their 11 product a success and they dont give a damn about anything else. I'm not talking about the Ian and Phils of the project either, these types of decisions come from the suits.

although the game is ok and I'm happy to have the game and legitimate rosters, a part of me is still @!ssed.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 4

Couple questions guys, much has been said regarding EA implamenting a different engine and not having time to do that.

Could it be expalined why that would be a problam,I understand they have a 12 month schedule,however many times I have read that almost like real football and the draft once madden launches ea is into the next years game.

Why couldnt they simply start work on the engine change over early then once the last version of the old engine ships they can pick up work for the next years game with the "new engine"....supposedly this years madden has a more physics based feel how where they able to implament that change with the tight schedule they have?

Other games from EA NBA most notably are as I understand it changing the engine completely.

EA's reluctance to go to a pure physics(dare I say euphoria) seems to me more about money than producing the best football experiece,I'd almost bet that if one sat down with John Madden and showed him how arcady EA's game is and then show him how it could be with a physics engine he'd be a bit disappointed that EA is not doing its best to make the game more real).

Its a bit frustrating that the game seems to have stagnated at this point when the technology is available to continue to make Madden a fantastic game.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
And then you have to consider how far do you go with "Realistic?" For example say you're the Lions and you're playing against the Saints. Should you lose that game 99% of the time? ALWAYS, no matter what difficulty level the game is on, no matter how good you personally are at the game, etc?
Let's see - I pick a team that went 0-16 two years ago and I'm going to complain about getting beat? Really?

I fantasy draft a team full of rookies and weak veterans - I go up a team that's got its stuff together. Yeah. I'm going to lose in all likelihood.

Lions vs Saints SHOULD be tough on default settings. If people want to make it so the Lions win 100% of the time - go tweak, put it on rookie, whatever. But the out of the box settings (default All-Pro) should make that battle a VERY hard match up and playing well might not be enough - because you're not the whole team.

I think people forget football is a team sport and just focus on the one guy with the circle under him and how he should be able to win the game by just his own effort, even if the other 52 guys on the roster suck because the user has stick skills or whatever.

Quote:
Because so often I hear people complain about "robo QB," defenders always batting balls down, too many injuries, and whatever else. Ok so if that stuff is actually set on a realistic level, we'd all be losing A LOT more than we do. If you really want the CPU AI to play you as the actual NFL team would play you, then you're not going 15-1, 14-2, 13-3 with very many teams in the game. If ever. And you'd rarely ever win the Super Bowl, as that's obviously REALLY hard to do. So are you ok with that?
YES, PLEASE GOD YES

I DON'T want to win the Super Bowl all the time. I WANT to scrap and claw and have to play nearly flawless to win 13+ games and even then, crap happens, stars make a mistake, etc, and I might lose. I WANT a game like the Ravens had last year where they sucked the first half of the game, came storming back in the 4th against the Vikings...only to miss the FG and lose.

I WANT games where nothing seems to go right and everything is effort. I WANT the game to be a war of attrition of sorts, because the real NFL certainly is (depth, anyone?) I WANT to have to rest my HB and not run him 30 times every game, shattering Larry Johnson's carries in a season record time and time again.

So YES PLEASE GOD YES give me that game that makes me think like a NFL coach, the makes me care about my players, that makes me look at their injury history, that makes me care about how my playbook is set up, not just if they have 99 SPD or I can stick skill my way to 16-0.

Quote:
Or do you want it realistic, but realistic to the point of always being able to win? Where does it stop? And who defines where it stops?
Real life dictates where it stops. If I play sucker teams with an elite one - I should have a high chance of winning. If they have a good day and or I suck that day, then I could lose. You know, like what really happens when elite teams play suckers in the NFL.

If real life NFL backs can rush for 5 ypc on average, then that's what the game should be set to. The average rush is 4 - then so be it, average backs should be at that. If I have the Saints, it should be hard to stop me through the air. If I'm the Ravens, my defense should be hard to attack on the ground, but weak against the pass.

If I have Revis - he should be lights out good. He shouldn't struggle in coverage because his SPD is 93 and he's going against a 97 SPD WR who can't run a route to save his life. I couldn't use Ray Rice like in real life because either screens were too good (so I'd just run over them with them) while the running game was ridiculously unrealistic with the "jump off being totally engaged because your hit box got near mine - nevermind that I was totally locked up" tackling by the DL.

That's what realism is about - every player playing to his skills as close to his real life counterpart as possible. However that plays out will determine the outcome of games.

It's not about win percentages - it's about making teams play like their NFL counterparts which will bring in more strategies, varied gameplay, and more things you have to account for instead of all the teams basically playing the same way.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-15-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
For several years I suggested a similar feature. Replace the flashlight with QB head/shoulder movement, and only give icons to WRs in the QB's line of sight. Now you're adding a realistic football element without the arcadey intrusion on the visuals.
Yes. Please make a football game

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that would be great.

I thought about the Tecmo Bowl style, except instead of an arrow, have the receiver's icon show up and the speed with which the icons change targets when you hit the "change receiver" button is based on QB's AWR.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »