Home

Speed and Strength progression or lack there of

This is a discussion on Speed and Strength progression or lack there of within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Pro

bigdfan76's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Speed and Strength progression or lack there of

All very good points guys... It would seem most of us feel like speed shouldn't progress but should regress with age. I agree with this. Agility and acceleration do... and strength definitely should advance, although it should advance slowly. No more than 1-2 points in 1 year and no more than about 5-6 points overall.
Baylor Bears Iowa Hawkeyes Texas Longhorns
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
That's just absolutely and completely untrue.

Speed, MAYBE, but strength? That is probably THE biggest change over the course of their NFL career besides the mental aspect.
What NFL player has gotten significantly stronger in the NFL? That's more exception than rule.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
mtl
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
What NFL player has gotten significantly stronger in the NFL? That's more exception than rule.
"He'll have to bulk up and get stronger to be effective at the next level" this line is said constantly about incoming rookies and even second and third year players, mostly on the offensive and defensive line. So yes most NFL players do get stronger.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl
"He'll have to bulk up and get stronger to be effective at the next level" this line is said constantly about incoming rookies and even second and third year players, mostly on the offensive and defensive line. So yes most NFL players do get stronger.
Again, I asked what NFL players have gotten significantly stronger at the next level? I don't think it's as common as people seem to think..
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Again, I asked what NFL players have gotten significantly stronger at the next level? I don't think it's as common as people seem to think..
What type of rating jump would you equate to significantly stronger?? Are we talking like a 5 point jump over a career or a 10 point jump?? The reason I ask is because if we knew that it could make answering your question alot easier. A jump of 5 points over a career would be great and very common and realistic. Say rookie DE comes in with a 84 strength and gets up to a 89 I don't see anything wrong with that.

But one guy that I do know of off the top of my head that had a major jump in strength is David Boston. I remember them doing an article on him in SI when he was with the Cardinals talking about how much bigger and stronger he got during the offseason after a car wreck. He put on 30 pounds and started playing alot more physical. Granted he did test positive for steroids a few years later but he did gain alot of size and strength before that ever happened.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
What type of rating jump would you equate to significantly stronger?? Are we talking like a 5 point jump over a career or a 10 point jump?? The reason I ask is because if we knew that it could make answering your question alot easier. A jump of 5 points over a career would be great and very common and realistic. Say rookie DE comes in with a 84 strength and gets up to a 89 I don't see anything wrong with that.

But one guy that I do know of off the top of my head that had a major jump in strength is David Boston. I remember them doing an article on him in SI when he was with the Cardinals talking about how much bigger and stronger he got during the offseason after a car wreck. He put on 30 pounds and started playing alot more physical. Granted he did test positive for steroids a few years later but he did gain alot of size and strength before that ever happened.
David Boston is the exception not the rule. And as he got bigger, he got worse, as he outgrew his position. Trust me, I saw it hear live and personal, he was at like 260 at one point, and couldn't beat anyone.

5 points is realistic based on what? I guess a couple of points increased over the span of a few years would be fine. But I don't see this as the travesty that OP was stating, as players making significant or overtly noticeable jumps in strength and speed is a rarity.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #15
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Many players get stronger.

Some just work out to stay at peak conditioning and strength levels.... while others "bulk up".

I can give you plenty of examples from the Packers.

HB Brandon Jackson. Has gained at least 15+ lbs of muscle since being a rookie, and supposedly hasn't lost a step because of it.

RG Josh Sitton. Has gotten stronger each year he's been on the team. Very under-rated player. Was actually one of the better RG's in the league last year, and flew under the radar as the Packers O line as a whole struggled so badly in the early part of the season.

OL Allen Barbre. Great athlete for his size, but needed to add strength. Worked very hard in the weight room before last year, and according to coaches, did gain a lot of strength. Too bad he can't find a way to use that athleticism on the field though... lol

ILB Nick Barnett. After he injured his knee in 08, he turned into even more of a workout warrior. He is much stronger in the upper body than he was prior to the injury. While his knee was recovering, he must have spent a lot of time working out everything up top.

LB Brandon Chillar. Looks like a different player than when he showed up in Green Bay from the Rams a couple seasons ago. Looks much more muscular. Probably not much stronger overall, but definitely in better shape, and more lean.

OLB Clay Matthews. He is up to 255 lbs this year from 245 last year. Coaches wanted him to add a little strength, and size...... so he did. I'm not sure how much, but I'm sure he didn't gain 10 lbs of fat this off season..... lol.

OLB Brad Jones. Same situation as Matthews above. He is weighing in at 242 now, and was almost 10 lbs lighter last year.

I could keep going..... but by now you get the point. Some of these players have probably only gained a little strength, while others have actually gained quite a bit, like.... Brandon Jackson, Allen Barbre and Nick Barnett. This is just a quick sampling off the top of my head... I'm sure many of you could post similar things about players on your teams.

To say players don't gain any strength once in the NFL is silly. They work out in high tech facilities with top notch strength and conditioning trainers almost every day. Those trainers help decide which playes have the bone structure to be able to add or shed muscle weight without hurting their athleticism, thats why some players gain a lot of strength while others must just maintain. Simple as that really.

Last edited by Megatron2k7; 08-13-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
mtl
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron2k7
Many players get stronger.

Some just work out to stay at peak conditioning and strength levels.... while others "bulk up".

I can give you plenty of examples from the Packers.

HB Brandon Jackson. Has gained at least 15+ lbs of muscle since being a rookie, and supposedly hasn't lost a step because of it.

RG Josh Sitton. Has gotten stronger each year he's been on the team. Very under-rated player. Was actually one of the better RG's in the league last year, and flew under the radar as the Packers O line as a whole struggled so badly in the early part of the season.

OL Allen Barbre. Great athlete for his size, but needed to add strength. Worked very hard in the weight room before last year, and according to coaches, did gain a lot of strength. Too bad he can't find a way to use that athleticism on the field though... lol

ILB Nick Barnett. After he injured his knee in 08, he turned into even more of a workout warrior. He is much stronger in the upper body than he was prior to the injury. While his knee was recovering, he must have spent a lot of time working out everything up top.

LB Brandon Chillar. Looks like a different player than when he showed up in Green Bay from the Rams a couple seasons ago. Looks much more muscular. Probably not much stronger overall, but definitely in better shape, and more lean.

OLB Clay Matthews. He is up to 255 lbs this year from 245 last year. Coaches wanted him to add a little strength, and size...... so he did. I'm not sure how much, but I'm sure he didn't gain 10 lbs of fat this off season..... lol.

OLB Brad Jones. Same situation as Matthews above. He is weighing in at 242 now, and was almost 10 lbs lighter last year.

I could keep going..... but by now you get the point. Some of these players have probably only gained a little strength, while others have actually gained quite a bit, like.... Brandon Jackson, Allen Barbre and Nick Barnett. This is just a quick sampling off the top of my head... I'm sure many of you could post similar things about players on your teams.

To say players don't gain any strength once in the NFL is silly. They work out in high tech facilities with top notch strength and conditioning trainers almost every day. Those trainers help decide which playes have the bone structure to be able to add or shed muscle weight without hurting their athleticism, thats why some players gain a lot of strength while others must just maintain. Simple as that really.
exactly. a list like that could be made for any team. to say that 21-26 year old men aren't getting stronger from year to year just doesn't make sense. obviously though once they get older they will get weaker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »