Home

Will Tomorrow be the beginning of a new sports gaming era?

This is a discussion on Will Tomorrow be the beginning of a new sports gaming era? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Will Tomorrow be the beginning of a new sports gaming era?

With the arrival of the new NHL 11 demo that comes out tomorrow. Does anyone get that feeling that the new "Real-time physics" will be the beginning of a new era for sports gaming. I know Backbreaker recently introduced Euphoria but that game wasnt very good, other then the tackling.

NHL 11 has the best gameplay of any current sports game in the market today IMO. I think adding this new physics engine is really going to turn some heads as far as the possibilities of a physics based engine. Maybe I am looking to far into this and we STILL have not seen good footage of real game play (kind of odd to me) but I think from the second we start playing this demo it will have a whole new FEEL to it. If physics are done correctly for checking, and puck physics I think this game is going to feel incredibly organic.

This is just my opinion but I think tomorrows demo may be a true eye raising experience for ALL sports gamers. Those football, basketball, baseball, soccer fans may all be wondering what a physics based engine could bring to their game of choice.

(I know NBA elite has it but it just seems like they kind of threw it in there, I think NHL has the most depth to the physics engine so far)

EDIT: I know this is not directly related to Madden 11. I wanted to make this thread to get some thoughts on where sports gaming may be headed and the possibilites for Madden in the (near) future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Will Tomorrow be the beginning of a new sports gaming era?

More evolution than revolution.

There are physic engines already in games.

What matters more is playbooks, CPU AI, logical end game scenarios, presentation.....
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12

What matters more is playbooks, CPU AI, logical end game scenarios, presentation.....
While all those are extremely important. I think a true Real-time physics engine would do wonders for the Madden franchise. The three main areas it could benefit are tackling, movement, and ball physics. If those three things had an excellent physics engine behind it Madden would feel 100X more organic. IMO the Madden series feels very "scripted" which is why people feel it has become so stale.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
While all those are extremely important. I think a true Real-time physics engine would do wonders for the Madden franchise. The three main areas it could benefit are tackling, movement, and ball physics. If those three things had an excellent physics engine behind it Madden would feel 100X more organic. IMO the Madden series feels very "scripted" which is why people feel it has become so stale.

Agree 1,000,000 % with the bolded. The #1 thing Madden needs is real-time physics with realistic a.i.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
With the arrival of the new NHL 11 demo that comes out tomorrow. Does anyone get that feeling that the new "Real-time physics" will be the beginning of a new era for sports gaming. I know Backbreaker recently introduced Euphoria but that game wasnt very good, other then the tackling.

NHL 11 has the best gameplay of any current sports game in the market today IMO. I think adding this new physics engine is really going to turn some heads as far as the possibilities of a physics based engine. Maybe I am looking to far into this and we STILL have not seen good footage of real game play (kind of odd to me) but I think from the second we start playing this demo it will have a whole new FEEL to it. If physics are done correctly for checking, and puck physics I think this game is going to feel incredibly organic.

This is just my opinion but I think tomorrows demo may be a true eye raising experience for ALL sports gamers. Those football, basketball, baseball, soccer fans may all be wondering what a physics based engine could bring to their game of choice.

(I know NBA elite has it but it just seems like they kind of threw it in there, I think NHL has the most depth to the physics engine so far)

EDIT: I know this is not directly related to Madden 11. I wanted to make this thread to get some thoughts on where sports gaming may be headed and the possibilites for Madden in the (near) future.

Lol at at the shot at Backbreaker. That game is the reason that RTP is such a hot topic in the first place. It also is a pretty good game in my opinion, but to each his own. Has issues, and is missing some things that make for an NFL experience, obviously, but the foundation that it is built on is pretty solid. It just needs to be further built upon.

Whether that happens, or even whether it is NM/505 that does it, or another company that licenses the tech, remains to be seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I would post this in either the football-other forum, or somewhere in the OS neighborhood...or even in the NHL section, but not in Madden. Heck you could submit it to MMchrisS or whoever the os editor is (Chris may just be a writer) as an article...

BUT it doesn't go here in the Madden forum, thanks man.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »